NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jameis Winston 2018 Outlook

Rolling Thunder

I'm only rostering 1 QB at the moment, and Winston is a FA.  I want to pick him up but as someone said above, this early in the season every roster spot is critical, since players come out of nowhere, or owners panic and release guys who have a bad start to the season.  I'm going to let it ride one more week, and then hope that I can get Winston on next weeks waivers, where he still has a game to go before he is allowed to play.  I'm no Winston fan by any stretch, both from a football and real life PoV, but this being fantasy that doesn't matter.  What does matter is the talent and weapons the QB of Tampa has to throw to.  Winston should put up numbers on that team.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I'm only rostering 1 QB at the moment, and Winston is a FA.  I want to pick him up but as someone said above, this early in the season every roster spot is critical, since players come out of nowhere, or owners panic and release guys who have a bad start to the season.  I'm going to let it ride one more week, and then hope that I can get Winston on next weeks waivers, where he still has a game to go before he is allowed to play.  I'm no Winston fan by any stretch, both from a football and real life PoV, but this being fantasy that doesn't matter.  What does matter is the talent and weapons the QB of Tampa has to throw to.  Winston should put up numbers on that team.

1) Only roster 2 QBs in 12 team leagues or larger.

2) If your league falls under the criteria listed in #1, check how many other teams are rostering two QBs. If it's half or more than half of your league, I don't think you're crazy for rostering 2 QBs because you're going to be SOL come by weeks. They'll all be picked up by then.

1 hour ago, CamNewton said:

1) Only roster 2 QBs in 12 team leagues or larger.

2) If your league falls under the criteria listed in #1, check how many other teams are rostering two QBs. If it's half or more than half of your league, I don't think you're crazy for rostering 2 QBs because you're going to be SOL come by weeks. They'll all be picked up by then.

It's a 12 team .5 ppr redraft and most teams have 2 QBs, and I'd have to look but one or two might have 3.  I tend to carry 1 QB if I have a proven stud, and carry 2 if I'm rolling the dice on upside with one, by having a decent vet to pair with him.  I took Watson in this league and just never got around to drafting the vet.  Most got taken, and there were players I liked on the board still.  I did figure Winston wouldn't get drafted, and as a worse case scenario, would give me a few weeks of a roster spot to figure things out.  David Carr is out there too in this league.

For those holding, it's concerning that there is talk about him not immediately being given the job back.  Which I guess the coaches have to say.  But I have a feeling there is a ton of truth behind that.  If Fitz starts 2-1, why would they even think of making a change?  Teach this punk a lesson and let the team roll.  Fitz showed last week that he can still chuck it with the best of them.

1 minute ago, cbsholy said:

Does Winston still have the starting job when he comes back from suspension? 

The way Fitzpatrick is playing right now I think he'd have to fall flat on his face for them to put Winston in.

Thoughts? 

No way they give him the job back. Especially after Fitz exploits Pittsburgh’s Swiss cheese defense next week for 4 more TDs 

4 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

The way Fitzpatrick is playing right now I think he'd have to fall flat on his face for them to put Winston in.

Thoughts? 

Hell no. Fitz would have to fall flat on his face. Which as we all know is possible. But this time he's going to have to do it with insane weapons, a swagger I've literally never seen from him before, and a fantastic O-line. 

8 minutes ago, cbsholy said:

Thoughts? 

No way.  This is Fitz' team right now.  He's actually utilizing every weapon on the Buccs offense as opposed to just hucking the ball to Mike Evans 15 times a game.

Yeah, Fitz is firing on all cylinders, seems to be a respected veteran, and if they're winning, I don't see why the coaches make a move.

What's the term if you get Wally Pipped while you are on suspension???

I don't think Winston is worth rostering right now.  I thought about it earlier in the preseason but not now.

Still holding in Dynasty but it is not looking good right now. Though as a Bills fan, I remember clear as day him going 4-0 in 2011 and signing him to a contract, just for him to poo the bed immediately after getting paid. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jameis by week 8.

9 hours ago, kdko said:

as opposed to just hucking the ball to Mike Evans 15 times a game.

as an Evans owner in 2 leagues this year, no worries ... these two have been remarkably efficient thus far, as Evans has 17/230/2 on 19 targets - only two miscues thus far.  hell, Crab Legs tossed a ton of balls in Evans direction, true ... but many were not even remotely catchable, and no league i know gives pts for targets.

Winston owners should be pretty happy tonight. Fitz did manage to throw for 400 yards, but the 3 ints and a couple of other near INTs, coupled with the loss should increase Winston's chances of regaining the job. 

I am sure Fitz hangs on for at least 1 more week (with the Bye coming up in week 5), but if the Bucs lose and/or Fitz has another 2-3 Int game, I could see them going back to Winston after the bye. 

5 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Winston owners should be pretty happy tonight. Fitz did manage to throw for 400 yards, but the 3 ints and a couple of other near INTs, coupled with the loss should increase Winston's chances of regaining the job. 

I am sure Fitz hangs on for at least 1 more week (with the Bye coming up in week 5), but if the Bucs lose and/or Fitz has another 2-3 Int game, I could see them going back to Winston after the bye. 

I dont know why, I mean at best what is Winston a QB2 in 2 QB leagues?  Hes lucky to crack the top 18

30 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

I dont know why, I mean at best what is Winston a QB2 in 2 QB leagues?  Hes lucky to crack the top 18

Many of us play in 2 QB leagues. 

Regardless, this offense looks really good with guys like Godwin/Howard emerging and unless you think Ryan Fitzpatrick figured out how to become a prolific QB in his 13th NFL season there is reason to think that a more talented QB could put up really good numbers in this offense. 

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Many of us play in 2 QB leagues. 

Regardless, this offense looks really good with guys like Godwin/Howard emerging and unless you think Ryan Fitzpatrick figured out how to become a prolific QB in his 13th NFL season there is reason to think that a more talented QB could put up really good numbers in this offense. 

I play in a 2QB league exclusively, and he went undrafted (12 teamer).  Talent only goes so far, he still hasn't proven he's a QB1, he had weapons last  year too and he sucked

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

I play in a 2QB league exclusively, and he went undrafted (12 teamer).  Talent only goes so far, he still hasn't proven he's a QB1, he had weapons last  year too and he sucked

The same could be said about Fitz until he got behind the wheel of this Ferrari. I have no preference. But based on the preseason, if Jameis gets a shot, he will run away with the job.

If Fitzpatrick can keep the team in playoff contention while playing like a playoff caliber qb I could see them riding him until or if the wheels fall off.  Jameis is young enough that having him be second fiddle for a year doesn't mess up his ability to be a franchise qb for TB for the future.  I scooped Winston up though.  The upside is huge.  With as fat a paycheck as Winston is getting next year no doubt Fitzpatrick's leash is short.  IMO it is just a matter of time, but obviously if that time is week 5 or week 14 makes a huge difference.

Archived