NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Williams 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, kdko said:

His release is better.  Brown is far and away the best route runner and improviser in the league, as well as WR obviously.  If you can't see his ability on the field you either haven't watched him closely, or just never will understand.

Definitely not. He's not as strong, agile, as facile with his hands, or has footwork at AB's level. Which is why he gets shutdown far more often than AB. Not a coincidence that his only 20+ point games last year came against 3 of the worst secondaries in the league (BUF, DAL, CLE).

You need to watch more tape. Chris Harris Jr is an elite corner who regularly shuts down Allen, while AB torched him. There are SEVERAL other examples. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly tried clicking on Chapter One 

It’s hard for me to understand anything you wrote, but I believe we are both fans of mike Williams this week and going forward.

Free Willy!!

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Definitely not. He's not as strong, agile, as facile with his hands, or has footwork at AB's level. Which is why he gets shutdown far more often than AB. Not a coincidence that his only 20+ point games last year came against 3 of the worst secondaries in the league (BUF, DAL, CLE).

You need to watch more tape. Chris Harris Jr is an elite corner who regularly shuts down Allen, while AB torched him. There are SEVERAL other examples. 

Funny, because Allen had a better catch % and better Y/R than Antonio Brown last year, despite Brown having 'better hands.'  So if we're talking in regards to last year, you're wrong about hands and footwork.  If you can find me video of Antonio Brown breaking peoples ankles off the line of scrimmage like Allen, i'd love to see it.  I can turn out plenty of videos of Allen doing that.  The guy could have been a point guard in basketball it's that sick.

Also, I remember when Allen hung a TD on Chris Harris JR in week 1.  Harris is also the best slot CB in the league, not the biggest knock.  When was the last time Brown faced him... as far as I can see he had an insane game against him 3 years ago.  Okay. 

9 minutes ago, pascuccis1 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleKe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowAn04.htm

How is this comparison even happening?

AB84 is in a tier of his own..

Exactly. There is no better route runner or technician than AB. IF (big if) Allen improves on last year, he might enter AB's stratosphere as a route runner/separator from press coverage. 

Any word on how Mike Williams has looked in OTAs?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking of throwing $1 at him late in the auction. Big WR who could be a red zone target with Henry out & Gates almost useless even if he does come back. I will definitely watch him during preseason

• Like 2

KA not really a td guy. Rumored chargers might go back after gates, but if that doesn’t happen Williams should be inline for some solid tds (would guess 5 min). He’s absically free rn, I’ll take a shot on this guy. 

I don't trust the guy's spine.

He had a cervical neck fracture in college (2015) and last year this herniated disc thing.  If you're a WR in the NFL, your spine is gonna take some abuse--I don't think his is able to withstand it.

On top of that, he's already dealing with a "minor" hamstring injury this preseason, and we all know how easy those are to shake.

There are better guys to throw a dollar at... Rishard Matthews, Allen Hurns, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Lockett, Quincy Enunwa... just to name a few.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

I don't trust the guy's spine.

He had a cervical neck fracture in college (2015) and last year this herniated disc thing.  If you're a WR in the NFL, your spine is gonna take some abuse--I don't think his is able to withstand it.

On top of that, he's already dealing with a "minor" hamstring injury this preseason, and we all know how easy those are to shake.

There are better guys to throw a dollar at... Rishard Matthews, Allen Hurns, Mohamed Sanu, Tyler Lockett, Quincy Enunwa... just to name a few.

Quincy the only guy in the $1 or less range. 

The rest are in the $2-10 range. 

Quincy vs Mike is a decent argument / comparison one can do. I'd go with Mike myself, but I could see both sides. 

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Quincy the only guy in the $1 or less range. 

The rest are in the $2-10 range. 

Quincy vs Mike is a decent argument / comparison one can do. I'd go with Mike myself, but I could see both sides. 

Dude, I've gotten Jamison Crowder for $1.  Just depends on the money left when you nominate your sleepers.

7 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Dude, I've gotten Jamison Crowder for $1.  Just depends on the money left when you nominate your sleepers.

Mike Williams is California Kevin White.  My league has figured out that my sleepers are gold, so they try to snipe me.  So I have had to start nominating fake sleepers to throw them off the track.  Mike Williams might fit the bill for that purpose, but I would be concerned that I might actually end up with him.

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Or if someone plays in 700 leagues like you 

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, boshtrich17 said:

Mike Williams hype has been growing a lot with a strong training camp so far. He’s been turning heads at camp with a lot of strong catches. I’m hoping he can hit 850/8TDs 

TBenjamin and TWilliams---the WR3 and WR2 for the Bolts---both played 16-game seasons last year and netted a combined 1300 yards / 8 TDs.

I like Mike Williams regarding talent, but your hopes do not seem realistic.

10 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

TBenjamin and TWilliams---the WR3 and WR2 for the Bolts---both played 16-game seasons last year and netted a combined 1300 yards / 8 TDs.

How are we going to compare Benjamin who is just a streaker up the sideline and TWilliams an undrafted wr that underwhelmed last year to Mike Williams with the supreme talent and size he has over them. Not to mention the targets leftover from Henry’s absence. I think it’s well within reason to hit 850/8TDs.  

20 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

7 minutes ago, boshtrich17 said:

How are we going to compare Benjamin who is just a streaker up the sideline and TWilliams an undrafted wr that underwhelmed last year to Mike Williams with the supreme talent and size he has over them. Not to mention the targets leftover from Henry’s absence. I think it’s well within reason to hit 850/8TDs.  

First off, I love the debate. Both of you bring some interesting points to the table. The only question that I have is, from all reports, it still seems as if M Williams is still just 4th on the depth chart unless something has changed. Despite the strong camp, has anything changed?

13 minutes ago, boshtrich17 said:

5 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

it still seems as if M Williams is still just 4th on the depth chart unless something has changed. Despite the strong camp, has anything changed?

Boshtrich17, maybe I wasn't clear in my implication: I prefer the talent of Mike Williams over all other Chargers WRs, however I do not see him netting your projection of 850/8. If his talent develops and he shows it on the field, 850 could be his ceiling, but 8 TDs, no way, not on this team.

Out of the 320 passes that Rivers threw to WRs last season, 50% of these went to Keenan Allen. I do not see this changing at all:

Keenan Allen = 159

Tyrell Williams = 69

Travis Benjamin = 65

Mike Williams = 23

Dontrelle Inman = 4

With his 50% target share (for WRs), KAllen pulled in 102 receptions and 6 TDs (and 1393 yards).

Let's suppose Mike Williams gets 20 more targets than either TWilliams or TBenjamin, and let's give him a solid catch rate of 66% (both of these estimates are very liberal / in favor of your argument's stats). We're looking at 57 receptions. Is 850/8 possible? Yes, but it's lofty on the TDs, which are inherently fluky. Too lofty. Kenny Stills had similar receptions/yards last year, though 6 TDs. Stefon Diggs had 850 yards / 8 TDs but had 11 more receptions than this liberal projection; he was also the clear WR2 for the Vikings, rivaling for WR1 with Thielen (no one will rival KAllen; it ain't gonna happen: he will hog targets). Out of the top 10 WRs last season (fantasy points accumulated), only AB, Nuk, and Marvin Jones had 8 TDs or higher. And these are the top 10 overall numbers. AJGreen had 8 TDs (75 receptions), Jarvis Landry 9 TDs (finally) on 112 receptions.

The only comparison that comes close here is Alshon, with 9 TDs in only 57 receptions. Thing is, he was targeted in the red zone, and he was targeted a total of 120 times (catch percentage of less than 50%). Again, look at the targets above: 69 and 65 for TWill and TBenj. We both admire MWilliams' talent, but I'd think 750/4 more realistic numbers if MWilliams becomes the clear-cut WR2. As nonstopfan notes, MWilliams has not jumped anyone yet; he's had a good enough camp, and he's someone to monitor now that it's preseason, but even if he is the second most talented WR on the team that doesn't mean he'll be elevated to WR2 above the incumbents.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Boshtrich17, maybe I wasn't clear in my implication: I prefer the talent of Mike Williams over all other Chargers WRs, however I do not see him netting your projection of 850/8. If his talent develops and he shows it on the field, 850 could be his ceiling, but 8 TDs, no way, not on this team.

Out of the 320 passes that Rivers threw to WRs last season, 50% of these went to Keenan Allen. I do not see this changing at all:

Keenan Allen = 159

Tyrell Williams = 69

Travis Benjamin = 65

Mike Williams = 23

Dontrelle Inman = 4

With his 50% target share (for WRs), KAllen pulled in 102 receptions and 6 TDs (and 1393 yards).

Let's suppose Mike Williams gets 20 more targets than either TWilliams or TBenjamin, and let's give him a solid catch rate of 66% (both of these estimates are very liberal / in favor of your argument's stats). We're looking at 57 receptions. Is 850/8 possible? Yes, but it's lofty on the TDs, which are inherently fluky. Too lofty. Kenny Stills had similar receptions/yards last year, though 6 TDs. Stefon Diggs had 850 yards / 8 TDs but had 11 more receptions than this liberal projection; he was also the clear WR2 for the Vikings, rivaling for WR1 with Thielen (no one will rival KAllen; it ain't gonna happen: he will hog targets). Out of the top 10 WRs last season (fantasy points accumulated), only AB, Nuk, and Marvin Jones had 8 TDs or higher. And these are the top 10 overall numbers. AJGreen had 8 TDs (75 receptions), Jarvis Landry 9 TDs (finally) on 112 receptions.

The only comparison that comes close here is Alshon, with 9 TDs in only 57 receptions. Thing is, he was targeted in the red zone, and he was targeted a total of 120 times (catch percentage of less than 50%). Again, look at the targets above: 69 and 65 for TWill and TBenj. We both admire MWilliams' talent, but I'd think 750/4 more realistic numbers if MWilliams becomes the clear-cut WR2. As nonstopfan notes, MWilliams has not jumped anyone yet; he's had a good enough camp, and he's someone to monitor now that it's preseason, but even if he is the second most talented WR on the team that doesn't mean he'll be elevated to WR2 above the incumbents.

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

First off, I love the debate. Both of you bring some interesting points to the table. The only question that I have is, from all reports, it still seems as if M Williams is still just 4th on the depth chart unless something has changed. Despite the strong camp, has anything changed?

I don’t see how his position on the official depth chart matters at this point. You don’t draft a guy as a top 7 pick to be the 4th man behind 2 scrubs. His talent alone blows out the other 2 in front of him and the coaching staff knows it. It’s already been said how he is going to be a major part of this offense.  I agree Allen is a targetwhore however, Allen doesn’t kill in the redzone, Rivers has always loved having that big body type to catch TDs in the red zone it was V Jax, Floyd and Gates for years. The only guy that profiles the same way on this current WR roster with the skill to come down with 50/50 balls like it’s his job is Mike Williams. So despite your liberal projection on yards and lowballing the TDs at 4, which you’re right the TDs are flukey. But I would take a shot at it being 8 over 4 any day. 

• Like 1

Wow y’all think tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin still gonna get that many targets. M Williams is the clear number 2 on this team. Rivers threw 350 times to Wrs? Let’s keep that and KA’s 160. Would say 80-90 for m Williams, 50-60 for T will and the rest (40ish for benji). If you want to throw in a fourth wr subtract them from benji

2 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Wow y’all think tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin still gonna get that many targets. M Williams is the clear number 2 on this team. Rivers threw 350 times to Wrs? Let’s keep that and KA’s 160. Would say 80-90 for m Williams, 50-60 for T will and the rest (40ish for benji). If you want to throw in a fourth wr subtract them from benji

Heck no. That's Tyrell. 

Becoming clearer that at Clemson Deshaun Watson made him, not the other way around.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:08 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Mike Williams is California Kevin White.  My league has figured out that my sleepers are gold, so they try to snipe me.  So I have had to start nominating fake sleepers to throw them off the track.  Mike Williams might fit the bill for that purpose, but I would be concerned that I might actually end up with him.

This is hilarious and exactly how I feel as well lol. 

I'm literally wrong 50% of the time on my sleepers too, but I ALWAYS have to go to a bidding war for them in my auction league. 

I feel like I could create a fake player, nominate them, and have to go into a bidding war for them. 

I feel you though. It's tough when your league knows you're good and have something up your sleeve. The fake sleeper might be the perfect strategy lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1