Mike Williams 2018 Outlook

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly tried clicking on Chapter One 

It’s hard for me to understand anything you wrote, but I believe we are both fans of mike Williams this week and going forward.

Free Willy!!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Panthor said:

no that is just your spin on the injuries because you either own or like him as a player.  just like those who don't like him call him injury prone.  here is his injury history

as far as i can tell these all happened on the field of play in a game with the exception of the earliest injury.  it is kinda hard to simply dismiss them as freak injuries when it is every year.  and citing a healthy 2017 to prove that point is a weak argument

I'm sorry, can we review this for a second? NFL game time, lets look at the injuries and how your list shrinks when you really take a look at it.

Strained knee - no time missed

Sprained AC joint - no time missed

Groin pull - no time missed

Shoulder fracture - missed rest of season (2 games)

Hip sprain - one quarter missed

Lacerated kidney - Placed on IR (freak injury)

ACL tear - missed season (freak injury)

Nothing

Its been two years since his last injury. Outside of two freak season ending injuries, he's missed 2 1/4 games in the other 3 years. Yeah, you can say he might have missed more in 2014 if it wasn't so late in the season, but we're dealing with facts.

Some more facts:

- Last year he finished WR3 in Yahoo 0.5PPR, right behind Hopkins and Brown. That's ahead of Green, Thomas, Julio.

- Second half the season: 62/845/5.

- Hit 10 catches, 100 yards, and 1 TD for three straight games, which has never been done before. On fire.

Draft him or don't, but Allen is a stud. Am I saying that Allen won't get hurt this year? No. You'd be foolish to make a bet that any one player won't get injured. But I am willing to make a bet that Allen has a greater chance than most to be WR5 or better at seasons end. Hell yes.

Now to bring it back to MW, I think that the Chargers are one of those teams where it does make sense to handcuff WR. Rivers can only check down to Gordon/Ekeler so many times in a game, and the TE situation is sketchy at best. Love both Williams, but MW is the better bet here.

• Like 2

Was high on this guy earlier but after thinking more about it I don’t see too much value unless there is an injury.  He’s worth more in standard, wouldn’t bother with him in ppr leagues.  Too many mouths to feed in that offense.

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Considering how badly Rivers struggles versus KC I would probably shy away. 

They lost a lot on defense though - especially on the leadership/exp side, Derrick Johnson/Marcus Peters/Tamba Hali. 

1 minute ago, TennisMenace said:

Anybody think MW can be a beast as the season progresses, I’d like to hear your thinking as to why you think that. Thanks.

I'll admit I didn't/haven't watched much MW in college but as a bench stash this is what I think. He's on what is going to be a top 10 or possibly top 5 offense. He has a high caliber QB who routinely falls in love with WRs who execute well (which is why i think Tyrell doesn't get as many reps). He's a big body wide out at 6'4 220 on a team that lost their tight end (yes I know AG signing puts a damper on things but he's almost 40 and will either die out as the season progresses or only be used in obvious scenarios, which turns him into a decoy for the MW fade route). He's got the draft pedigree (if you put weight in that). The WR1 on the team is 'injury prone' but I think I'd prefer Allen healthy and occupying as much attention as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I'll admit I didn't/haven't watched much MW in college but as a bench stash this is what I think. He's on what is going to be a top 10 or possibly top 5 offense. He has a high caliber QB who routinely falls in love with WRs who execute well (which is why i think Tyrell doesn't get as many reps). He's a big body wide out at 6'4 220 on a team that lost their tight end (yes I know AG signing puts a damper on things but he's almost 40 and will either die out as the season progresses or only be used in obvious scenarios, which turns him into a decoy for the MW fade route). He's got the draft pedigree (if you put weight in that). The WR1 on the team is 'injury prone' but I think I'd prefer Allen healthy and occupying as much attention as possible. 

Thanks man.  I’m looking to find a 5th WR to stash in hopes he can blossom into a BEAST. MW is on that short list (Ross, Moore, Meredith, Gallup)  As you can see, I’m looking at very young guys with immense promise who haven’t done much yet either because of injury or being a rookie. 

I have multiple shares in Williams this year. The saints and chargers held camps together before their pre-season game and Williams was giving our D more trouble than Keenan Allen (not saying he’s better Allen is obviously a monster). But all the writers said MW has looked great, add that up with a high powered offense, a solid QB, and red zone target opportunity for a man his size I definitely think he is worth the investment.

He could flop obviously but all these signs point to a successful season. He’s a great WR 3/4 imo with one of highest upsides for a later pick.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Breesus said:

I have multiple shares in Williams this year. The saints and chargers held camps together before their pre-season game and Williams was giving our D more trouble than Keenan Allen (not saying he’s better Allen is obviously a monster). But all the writers said MW has looked great, add that up with a high powered offense, a solid QB, and red zone target opportunity for a man his size I definitely think he is worth the investment.

He could flop obviously but all these signs point to a successful season. He’s a great WR 3/4 imo with one of highest upsides for a later pick.

Agreed with most everything here based on your point about MW giving the D trouble–he's a matchup nightmare anywhere on the field on the outside at that height, speed, and hands, but (as you pointed out) most importantly in the red zone. Once he locks down his timing and route running, he could emerge as Rivers' next Vincent Jackson circa 2012, even better. It's not guaranteed, but MW seems to be trending upwards far more than any receiver not named Keenan Allen.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Breesus said:

Good inside stuff, especially the practices with the Saints. I’m so close to making the move. 

Williams or Ross.......hmmmm

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Williams.

Forgot to mention in my PM.

Highest upside.

I read an article with 7 Chargers reporters being asked, “Has Mike Williams arrived?”   Surprisingly 5 said NO, not yet. I guess maybe he hasn’t arrived yet but by week 6 he might have. Lol

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

I read an article with 7 Chargers reporters being asked, “Has Mike Williams arrived?”   Surprisingly 5 said NO, not yet. I guess maybe he hasn’t arrived yet but by week 6 he might have. Lol

I wouldn't wait till after he has "arrived" in their eyes or it will be too late.they want to see the results and then pick him up. He is a red zone threat and very physically gifte.

5 minutes ago, tah10 said:

Anybody watch this game closely and notice how he looks compared to Tyrell? Only play I saw between the two of them was the dropped TD by Tyrell . 

Watched most of it. He will be the clear #2 very soon, if he isn't already. Tyrell was pretty bad, Benjamin was atrocious, and Williams was solid. Rivers started looking for him at the end after Allen.

Edited by MJJ28
1 minute ago, fujishig said:

Allen and the running backs were the only ones catching the ball reliably, so I'm not sure he necessarily distinguished himself from Tyrell. 

iirc Benjamin and tyrell were the ones dropping would be TD passes. 

1 minute ago, fujishig said:

Allen and the running backs were the only ones catching the ball reliably, so I'm not sure he necessarily distinguished himself from Tyrell. 

He caught 5 of 6 targets so he was pretty reliable today