Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

San Francisco 49ers 2018 Outlook


Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

He's a project Left Tackle. 

 

Likely an NFL right tackle. 

 

He wasn't even the best lineman on his own team. 

 

I wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on him. 

 

Who knows though, I can be wrong, we'll see I guess. 

 

Interesting, that’s the first I’ve heard of the “project” part.  Nelson was awesome, too. I don’t know any more than you, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go top-5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbers don't lie, but the problem isn't always in the arithmetic.  Sometimes, we're using the wrong numbers though.   Passer rating is a stat that means very little because it only judges o

A-Rob would be a great pickup for the 9ers, they should have every reason to go for him.  Alternatively, they could trade for Tyrell Williams from the Chargers; he's an underrated receiver that served

Did you ever go watch kapernick in person? i'm a season ticket holder and i've been to many of his game.  Kaep i can tell you suck big time.  So many times we see wide open, i mean wide open WR, dude

17 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

 

I love gambling.  Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but I love it.  I will wait for everyone to drive up the price on 49ers wins next season and I will lay fat money on the under more than likely if they don't dazzle me in FA or draft.  But like I said, sometimes I lose, maybe yall are all right, we will see.

 

 The NFC is going to be brutal next year Niners would be fortunate they finish .500

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

 The NFC is going to be brutal next year Niners would be fortunate they finish .500

 

The conference is going to be brutal.  And their division is too as I expect Seattle to bounce back some...Arizona offense is a whole lot of question marks but their D is very underrated.

 

Anyone know the nfc division the nfc west is facing next year?   Or the afc one? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

The conference is going to be brutal.  And their division is too as I expect Seattle to bounce back some...Arizona offense is a whole lot of question marks but their D is very underrated.

 

Anyone the nfc division the nfc west is facing next year?   Or the afc one? 

Well the AFC rotates every 4 seasons. And the NFC every 3 seasons. So the NFC West is playing the AFC West and NFC North. And then two NFC teams. Usually those remaining two in conference games are popular rivalries. Have there been any good games recently between the 49ers and any of the NFC East or NFC South teams?

 

Anyway in those two divisions they are playing there are winnable games. Bears, Lions, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, and Broncos. I give them less of a shot against the Vikings and Packers with a healthy Rodgers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

Well the AFC rotates every 4 seasons. And the NFC every 3 seasons. So the NFC West is playing the AFC West and NFC North. And then two NFC teams. Usually those remaining two in conference games are popular rivalries. Have there been any good games recently between the 49ers and any of the NFC East or NFC South teams?

 

The other two NFC games are based on the standings.  So since SF finished in last place they'll be playing the last place teams in the NFC East and South - nyg and tb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

Well the AFC rotates every 4 seasons. And the NFC every 3 seasons. So the NFC West is playing the AFC West and NFC North. And then two NFC teams. Usually those remaining two in conference games are popular rivalries. Have there been any good games recently between the 49ers and any of the NFC East or NFC South teams?

 

Anyway in those two divisions they are playing there are winnable games. Bears, Lions, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, and Broncos. I give them less of a shot against the Vikings and Packers with a healthy Rodgers.

 

NFC north is loaded imo.  In my way too early analysis det, GB, and minny are all playoff caliber.  AFC west is very much in flux but SD was the best non playoff team in either conference, Oakland was the popular favorite entering 2017, kc is the back to back division winner, and Denver is... well... who knows,  ha.  

 

Two of my favorite longshot (40-1 or greater) super bowl teams are in that mix,  Detroit and SD.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

NFC north is loaded imo.  In my way too early analysis det, GB, and minny are all playoff caliber.  AFC west is very much in flux but SD was the best non playoff team in either conference, Oakland was the popular favorite entering 2017, kc is the back to back division winner, and Denver is... well... who knows,  ha.  

 

Two of my favorite longshot (40-1 or greater) super bowl teams are in that mix,  Detroit and SD.  

I'm not expecting the 49ers to be better than 8-8, but they have a QB and a bunch of winnable games on the schedule as it stands today. I don't expect them to be far off from 8-8.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Ruben foster arrested again. 

 

Domestic violence and assault rifle charges. 

 

#NoHoles

 

The victim is apparently a female. With everything that's going on In today's environment you can bet he's looking at a hefty suspension from the NFL. This will make the Ray Rice suspension look like a slap on the wrist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 8:25 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Ruben foster arrested again. 

 

Domestic violence and assault rifle charges. 

 

#NoHoles

 

Now we know why he fell so far in the draft after being talked about being a top a top 10 pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 8:12 PM, psygolf said:

Roquan heading to SF...?

 

On 2/12/2018 at 5:17 AM, South Carolina said:

 

Good call. Definitely a possibility now.

 

Seeks like they wanna trade back and do this, no? Either way I’d love that, seeing lots of mocks with the Raiders taking him and I would prefer that not to happen

 

edit: durr my bad, thought they were earlier than 9 already

Edited by lolcopter
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Lynch really doing that great of a job?  Garoppolo fell into his lap, the picks grabbed from the bears resulted in a disappointing rookie season from Solomon and a known problem-talent Foster...not to mention they traded away the 3rd rd pick that brought Kamara to the Saints.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Is Lynch really doing that great of a job?  Garoppolo fell into his lap, the picks grabbed from the bears resulted in a disappointing rookie season from Solomon and a known problem-talent Foster...not to mention they traded away the 3rd rd pick that brought Kamara to the Saints.

Kamara could have gone earlier as well. That was simply a good pick by the Saints. Maybe Kamara goes later if the Saints don't hone in on him. Lynch is doing a good job. Jimmy G didn't fall into his lap. They were aggressive and traded a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

 

Soloman played on the edge in 2017 which was out of position for him and he predictably struggled. Not sure what they are going to do since they have three talented players that play the interior in Soloman, Armstead, and Buckner. The Jets had a similar problem for a while and were playing interior guys on the edge. It was alright, but not the type of pass rush that is ideal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Kamara could have gone earlier as well. That was simply a good pick by the Saints. Maybe Kamara goes later if the Saints don't hone in on him. Lynch is doing a good job. Jimmy G didn't fall into his lap. They were aggressive and traded a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

 

Soloman played on the edge in 2017 which was out of position for him and he predictably struggled. Not sure what they are going to do since they have three talented players that play the interior in Soloman, Armstead, and Buckner. The Jets had a similar problem for a while and were playing interior guys on the edge. It was alright, but not the type of pass rush that is ideal.

NE called SF at the deadline and said give us a 2nd = falling into one's lap to me

Solomon is a DE, he is too small to play inside.

Edited by psygolf
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Solomon is a DE, he is too small to play inside.

That might be true, but he played interior in college. So there is going to be a transition period. It usually takes players 2-3 seasons to adjust and adapt to the NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, devaster said:

That might be true, but he played interior in college. So there is going to be a transition period. It usually takes players 2-3 seasons to adjust and adapt to the NFL.

He played DE in a 3-4 defense I believe...his draft upside was a prospect that would not be able to handle the size of the NFL playing inside, but was one of the top-rated edge rushers behind Garrett.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, devaster said:

Kamara could have gone earlier as well. That was simply a good pick by the Saints. Maybe Kamara goes later if the Saints don't hone in on him. Lynch is doing a good job. Jimmy G didn't fall into his lap. They were aggressive and traded a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline.

 

Soloman played on the edge in 2017 which was out of position for him and he predictably struggled. Not sure what they are going to do since they have three talented players that play the interior in Soloman, Armstead, and Buckner. The Jets had a similar problem for a while and were playing interior guys on the edge. It was alright, but not the type of pass rush that is ideal.

 

I agree that the 49ers have redundant assets in Thomas,  Armstead, and Buckner.  I'd look to trade Armstead.

 

As for Thomas, I didn't love the pick at #3.  I do think he will be a quality player though and readily admit that be COULD hit his ceiling of Michael Bennett in which case he's worth the #3 pick.   To me he's a SSDE on early downs and then needs to kick inside on passing downs.  But that's a guy I'd take middle to late first, not 3 overall.   I love what he brings as an edge run defender.

 

Excellent comp to the nyj situation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, psygolf said:

Is Lynch really doing that great of a job?  Garoppolo fell into his lap, the picks grabbed from the bears resulted in a disappointing rookie season from Solomon and a known problem-talent Foster...not to mention they traded away the 3rd rd pick that brought Kamara to the Saints.

 

He made Jimmy G the highest paid player in football. 

 

A++

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, psygolf said:

Is Lynch really doing that great of a job?  Garoppolo fell into his lap, the picks grabbed from the bears resulted in a disappointing rookie season from Solomon and a known problem-talent Foster...not to mention they traded away the 3rd rd pick that brought Kamara to the Saints.

 

Possible,  but hard to think it’s not trending in the right direction.  I do agree that people are giving him a whole lot of credit real early 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to San Francisco 49ers 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...