NBC Sports Edge Forums

San Francisco 49ers 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Talk about perfect timing. Finding out a day before the draft that Foster will likely escape all charges and jail time. Or perhaps Foster just came to a settlement?

The attorney for the girlfriend of Reuben Foster, who accused Foster of domestic violence in February, is now saying Foster never injured her.

The woman says she fabricated the allegation, and pictures used as evidence against Foster actually came from another fight, with a woman. "(Foster) did not strike her, injure her or threaten her," said the woman's attorney. This is a huge break for the 49ers, and slightly lessens their linebacker need before the draft. Foster was one of the NFL's highest-impact rookies last year.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbers don't lie, but the problem isn't always in the arithmetic.  Sometimes, we're using the wrong numbers though.   Passer rating is a stat that means very little because it only judges o

A-Rob would be a great pickup for the 9ers, they should have every reason to go for him.  Alternatively, they could trade for Tyrell Williams from the Chargers; he's an underrated receiver that served

Did you ever go watch kapernick in person? i'm a season ticket holder and i've been to many of his game.  Kaep i can tell you suck big time.  So many times we see wide open, i mean wide open WR, dude

On April 13, 2018 at 12:11 PM, dmb3684 said:

So are you saying you think someone else ruptured his girl's eardrum?

According to the owner of said eardrum, that's exactly what happened.

2 hours ago, devaster said:

Talk about perfect timing. Finding out a day before the draft that Foster will likely escape all charges and jail time. Or perhaps Foster just came to a settlement?

Someone got a payoff...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jnormy said:

According to the owner of said eardrum, that's exactly what happened.

Uh yeah, an unnamed female in a story months after the incident. Super believable.

I guess I was wrong on the 9ers cutting him. Hopefully the payoff does more for the girl than his sentence would have

6 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I stand corrected I guess. Weird. So is it over for NFL suspension purposes?

I doubt it. Whether he will or not idk, but Zekes case was thrown out and they still suspended him against a few notable legal opinion on his case

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

80% of OL has been upgraded, Shanahan has the scheme-fit at RB he wants, and Garcon returns to join Goodwin and Taylor.  It is hard to have doubts about JG too.

There is alot of off season hype with this offense, but this may be the rare case where it's deserved.  Without health issues, I don't see how this unit doesn't produce at a high level consistently.  This group (espeically JG) gives Shanahan more than enough to work his magic.  When it comes to drafting/buying any of the pieces, I see a great deal of reliability on the 2018 horizon.

5 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

80% of OL has been upgraded, Shanahan has the scheme-fit at RB he wants, and Garcon returns to join Goodwin and Taylor.  It is hard to have doubts about JG too.

There is alot of off season hype with this offense, but this may be the rare case where it's deserved.  Without health issues, I don't see how this unit doesn't produce at a high level consistently.  This group (espeically JG) gives Shanahan more than enough to work his magic.  When it comes to drafting/buying any of the pieces, I see a great deal of reliability on the 2018 horizon.

Their passing game especially has not gotten a lot of spring buzz, and i think its made them a bit of a forgotten unit for fantasy's sake.   Many folks expecting them to chase an Allen Robinson or Trey Burton, or draft Ridley, or both.  Instead they grabbed their Devonta Freeman and got some linemen.    They threw the ball a ton last year, and I think that continues, so Jimmy G is my favorite non-obvious QB1 to target right now.   I also am liking Garcon to be a sneaky candidate to be top 10 in targets if he stays on the field. 

39 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Garapolo is going to be beyond hyped by summer drafts 

(I like him, relax)

You think so?   I'm thinking in most 12 team, 1 QB leagues, he's just a borderline QB1 to most folks who lump him in with the Stafford/Mahomes/Cousins/Roethlisberger bunch.     I think Mahomes has outhyped him so far because of the weapons.   Nobody's too impressed by Garcon and Goodwin.    My own hype train is being driven by memories of owning Matt Ryan under Kyle Shanahan in 2016

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

You think so?   I'm thinking in most 12 team, 1 QB leagues, he's just a borderline QB1 to most folks who lump him in with the Stafford/Mahomes/Cousins/Roethlisberger bunch.     I think Mahomes has outhyped him so far because of the weapons.   Nobody's too impressed by Garcon and Goodwin.    My own hype train is being driven by memories of owning Matt Ryan under Kyle Shanahan in 2016

Hope so ... I forget sometimes that everyone that plays fantasy football isn’t a roto-level “enthusiast” 

Garapolo is def on my radar (I wait as long as possible on QB

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I hope you're right.  JG is going to be unstoppable barring injury.  He and Shanahan are going to be every bit as successful, if not more so, than Ryan and Shanahan were, even without a Julio in SF.  There is no defense against JG's lightening quick release, and no one will give JG more options in the pass game than Shanahan.  

Honestly, it would be crazy for anyone to sleep on any of the main assets in that offense.  They are all destined for nice years, all of them.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
8 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I hope you're right.  JG is going to be unstoppable barring injury.  He and Shanahan are going to be every bit as successful, if not more so, than Ryan and Shanahan were, even without a Julio in SF.  There is no defense against JG's lightening quick release, and no one will give JG more options in the pass game than Shanahan.  

Honestly, it would be crazy for anyone to sleep on any of the main assets in that offense.  They are all destined for nice years, all of them.

People are really sleeping on Kittle.

Is Breida expected to be the clear #2? Might we be talking decent RB3/flex timeshare for him? 

Or is he a trash heap handcuff?

I mean...is McKinnon really THAT good to leave Breida in the dust for  lead dog carries?

Is there another name altogether I am forgetting here?

Edited by Proteus
1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Is Breida expected to be the clear #2? Might we be talking decent RB3/flex timeshare for him? 

Or is he a trash heap handcuff?

I mean...is McKinnon really THAT good to leave Breida in the dust for  lead dog carries?

Is there another name altogether I am forgetting here?

Right now, Breida is the clear #2 behind McKinnon.  And make no mistake, Breida is only a back up (albeit, a good one).

Breida's competition will come from Williams, McNichols and UDFA Jeff Wilson.  Williams has already dug himself a hole with Lynch and Shanahan.  The same off-field concerns that convinced Lynch to remove Williams from his draft board have soured the FO and CS on Williams post-draft.

McNichols has been on the PS since he was acquired.  No one has heard anything about him to date.

Admittedly, it is a long shot, but the guy I'd watch closely to make the 53 man roster is Wilson.  From the film I've seen of this guy, he's a perfect one-cut scheme fit for Shanahan's run game:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZOHZOvhTU

As we know, scheme fit means everything to Shanahan.  That said, the CS likes Breida, so someone else will need to really shine to threaten his spot behind McKinnon.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Thanks for posting.  I didn't get a ton of fantasy info out of here but just a really interesting read about two great young football minds.  

Reminds me of Urban v Harbaugh in NCAA FB.  Both born in Toledo with similar rootes, then took some different paths to ultimately be the HC of red v blue in a great regional rivalry.

I'm keeping my eye on the San Francisco defense this year.

They were absolutely horrible in the first part of the season last year, much like the San Fran offense.

But over the last four weeks of the season, they moved into the top 15 fantasy defenses.

Then they went and got Richard Sherman...

4 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

I'm keeping my eye on the San Francisco defense this year.

They were absolutely horrible in the first part of the season last year, much like the San Fran offense.

But over the last four weeks of the season, they moved into the top 15 fantasy defenses.

Then they went and got Richard Sherman...

They were without lots of guys on D (e.g., LB Malcolm Smith, DB Jimmy Ward, DL Arik Armstead, LB Reuben Foster, S Jacquiski Tartt, etc.) for stretches last year. Solomon Thomas missed most of the off-season and started super slow too.  Getting everyone back, having Cassius Marsh for a full season, signing FA Richard Sherman and Edge Jeremiah Attaochu (from LAC), and adding S/CB Tarvarius Moore and LB Fred Warner in the draft, all bode very well for the group.

Honestly, the biggest unkown is sophomore DC Richard Saleh.  Hard to tell from his rookie campaign if he's any good. It is not like you have Vic Fangio, Son of Bum or someone of that proven ilk calling the shots.

6 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Thanks for posting.  I didn't get a ton of fantasy info out of here but just a really interesting read about two great young football minds.

Not that we didn't already know that McVay and Shanahan are good what they do, but it's informative pieces like these that confirm who we can trust, which is a big thing for fantasy.

9 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Sounds like classic NFL overreaction. This time a year ago McVay was very underrated; now he's very overrated. 

Just remember that this time a year ago, the only active NFL HC with a better win percentage than Bill Belichick was...

Ben McAdoo (who also exceeded expectations and won even more games than McVay as a rookie HC).

• Like 1
14 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Sounds like classic NFL overreaction. This time a year ago McVay was very underrated; now he's very overrated. 

Just remember that this time a year ago, the only active NFL HC with a better win percentage than Bill Belichick was...

Ben McAdoo (who also exceeded expectations and won even more games than McVay as a rookie HC).

Overrated based off of what facts?

There's plenty of facts that disprove your statement.

I guess, the same could be said MUCH LOUDER for Kyle. Overrated.

Season records matter when evaluating coaches. 

Question:

1. How many games did the Rams win and lose last year?

2. How many did 49ers win and lose last year?

Both teams were in the same growth period... Rebuild.

Question:

Who's further a long with their rebuild?

The answers will tell you who's the better new young coach.

Edited by ponza88
5 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Question:

Question:

This year will tell us a lot about both coaches. I think both are overrated. 

8 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Question:

Question:

Actually the niners were nowhere close to the Rams in the rebuild process.  The Rams had very good pieces in place on both sides of the ball.  Just needed somebody with a little offensive imagination.  Which Mr 8-8 Jeff Fisher was never gonna be.

This time last year the niners were considered to have possibly the worst talent in the league.  With no skill position talent and no QB.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Actually the niners were nowhere close to the Rams in the rebuild process.  The Rams had very good pieces in place on both sides of the ball.  Just needed somebody with a little offensive imagination.  Which Mr 8-8 Jeff Fisher was never gonna be.

This time last year the niners were considered to have possibly the worst talent in the league.  With no skill position talent and no QB.

Disagreed. 

This time last year the Rams were still in rebuild, Goff was a Round 1 BUST... the joke of the league. 

This time last year, the Rams had the youngest, most inexperienced Head Coach in the history of the NFL.

This time last year, the Rams were written off as much, if not more, than the 49ers.

This time last year, the 49ers were being talked about... the new team on the rise with Ruben Foster and Shannahan and his "BRILLIANT" offense.

Agreed to disagree.

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to San Francisco 49ers 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic