NBC Sports Edge Forums

01.21.2018 - AFC Championship - Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots

52 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Anyone else not watching the Super Bowl?

not as a “boycott”, more out of lack of interest 

I am really not interested in a Foles-led Philly team in the super bowl. I think all we can hope for is a decent game. 

Really wishing the Saints been Minnesota last week so we didn't have to deal with this Philly team who will likely get blown out.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MrWannaBee said:

Why do so many teams in the NFL get a nice lead and go conservative all of a sudden?

These are questions that should be asked and discussed as opposed to a questionable no-call on the decisive game clinching run. Maybe we should have 11 referees, one for each offensive player so we can get more flags and stoppages just to appease the ridiculous rhetoric of Pats getting all of the breaks. Again, blame your owners, GM's and coaches for not getting the right personnel instead of blaming the refs.

Edited by nonstopfan
10 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Again, it's those 50/50 plays where you can argue they went either way. When you have a few of those a game it really adds up because the reality is they aren't 50/50 plays in the refs eyes. Bias is real in sports. Acting like it's not is the definition of ignorance is bliss.

I hope the Pats get every call. Why wouldn't I?

18 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

The Super Bowl will always be the Super Bowl. Whether you are vested in it or not, between family, friends, commercials, entertainment and the fact its the last game of the season before we have to go months without watching football, it makes for an interesting and exciting watch.

The match-up could have been a lot worse. There are some interesting storylines here with the Pats reinforcing their legacy and The Eagles trying to win their first chip.

I'm a Giants fan so you would think I would hate both of these teams, but I sincerely only hate the Eagles and their annoying fans. They are the worse. F--them. I have respect for the Pats, beating them in two Super Bowls helps that respect factor I guess. lol. For you guys always shaming the Pats because of this referee thing, I dont think its the refs helping the Pats, its the Pats coaching staff and players putting themselves in the best possible position to make plays.

I don't mind most fan bases. I really don't like either one in the super bowl though. However, the Patriots are by far the worst NFL fan base.

Back in the early 90s when they were in question of moving, almost no one gave a damn. Now the fans are the most obnoxious ones in the league. Especialy the ones "we're tired of winning dur dur" ones. You'll also be tired of the team Brady retires.

Edited by Gohawks
7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A few years back an NBA referee called Tim Doneghy spilled the beans on the fact that the league office gave the officiating crew marching orders to call a tight game when Kobe and Shaq's Lakers were in a game 7 against Sacramento.  Stern knew very well that an NBA finals with the Lakers in it would get about double the ratings.  Hardly surprising.  And Greedy Goodell makes Stern look like the model of a restrained and fair-minded businessman.

I'm a Lakers fan and that series was obviously and laughably rigged.

25 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Again, it's those 50/50 plays where you can argue they went either way. When you have a few of those a game it really adds up because the reality is they aren't 50/50 plays in the refs eyes. Bias is real in sports. Acting like it's not is the definition of ignorance is bliss.

You can't use this as an argument. It's way to subjective. There is bias in all walks of life and in virtually every corner of every business. Whether that's radio, tv, retail, medical....*cough* *cough*....The Presidency, etc. You hire, promote, and make decisions on individuals based on interviews, assessments and more to hopefully eliminate most if not all of such bias. It will always be there, but that's why you have the tag of "professional", because "professionals" should be able to operate and perform at an level above everyone else and eliminate this "bias".

Edited by nonstopfan
18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I don't mind most fan bases. I really don't like either one in the super bowl though. However, the Patriots are by far the worst NFL fan base.

Back in the early 90s when they were in question of moving, almost no one gave a damn. Now the fans are the most obnoxious ones in the league. Especialy the ones "we're tired of winning dur dur" ones. You'll also be tired of the team Brady retires.

You hate them because the Pats win all the time.

And other reason is secondary.

6 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

You can't use this as an argument. It's way to subjective. There is bias in all walks of life and in virtually every corner of every business. Whether that's radio, tv, retail, medical....*cough* *cough*....The Presidency, etc. You hire, promote, and make decisions on individuals based on interviews, assessments and more to hopefully eliminate most if not all of such bias. It will always be there, but that's why you have the tag of "professional", because "professionals" should be able to operate and perform at an level above everyone else and eliminate this "bias".

How can't I use it as an argument? Refs are bias towards certain teams. I frankly don't know why or if the sport is rigged even though there has been obvious rigging in major sports. My point is, the refs tend to favor a select number of teams and calls that are more up in the air will almost always go to those teams. 

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

You hate them because the Pats win all the time.

And other reason is secondary.

Ah, that is actually wrong. I'm a huge basketball fan and likely more than an NFL fan. I'm not a Warriors fan and I don't hate them or their fan base. Why? Because even when they were an absolutely pathetic team barely winning anything their attendance was in the top half of the league and even top 10. The Patriots fans did not care if their team dissapeared. Also, Warrior fans, while obnoxious (like every extremely successful franchise) are not near the Patriots level. Not even close. 

26 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

These are questions that should be asked and discussed as opposed to a questionable no-call on the decisive game clinching run. Maybe we should have 11 referees, one for each offensive player so we can get more flags and stoppages just to appease the ridiculous rhetoric of Pats getting all of the breaks. Again, blame your owners, GM's and coaches for not getting the right personnel instead of blaming the refs.

Jax simply blew it. Belicheck didn't have to adjust to Corey Grant, who was a nightmare to them in the 1st half. Maroon did the job for Belicheck by letting him sit on the bench. With Grant/Fournette in the backfield, NE had no answer. I was sitting there saying that is genius. NE was on their heels. No film on it at all to study for the week beforehand. JAX just brought it out and put it away just as quickly as if they had 3 plays for Grant, ran them all and said, well that's all we came up with. Belicheck didn't have to adjust because Maroon never got Grant the ball in the 2nd half. Didn't even try.

12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

How can't I use it as an argument? Refs are bias towards certain teams. I frankly don't know why or if the sport is rigged even though there has been obvious rigging in major sports. My point is, the refs tend to favor a select number of teams and calls that are more up in the air will almost always go to those teams. 

I understand what you are saying but you are basically saying that a ref that grew up a Lions fan wont be able to ever properly officiate a Lions game because of this? Or, even worse, a coach takes a ref out to dinner and now the ref is bias to that team? As a fan and as a human being, you not only should hope, but you should expect that they are professional enough to put that to the side and do what their job is. If not, why are we watching?

At the end of the day, 10 years from now, when people are talking about the Pats and their dynasty, they will be talking about their dominance in their division and the amount of chips they won, not some phantom holding call on 3rd down or other questionable calls. I know this from being a Knicks fan and watching Jordan and Phil Jackson and the refs seemingly robbing them time after time after time again. I've learned just go out there and win. Period.

Edited by nonstopfan
32 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A few years back an NBA referee called Tim Doneghy spilled the beans on the fact that the league office gave the officiating crew marching orders to call a tight game when Kobe and Shaq's Lakers were in a game 7 against Sacramento.  Stern knew very well that an NBA finals with the Lakers in it would get about double the ratings.  Hardly surprising.  And Greedy Goodell makes Stern look like the model of a restrained and fair-minded businessman.

Message to Greedy Goodell: If you want to fix it for the Pats, please stop taking away their draft picks due to fantastical conspiracy theories. 

7 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Message to Greedy Goodell: If you want to fix it for the Pats, please stop taking away their draft picks due to fantastical conspiracy theories. 

Fantastical?  Like Spygate, where Belichick publicly admitted he did the act for which he was punished?

6 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I understand what you are saying but you are basically saying that a ref that grew up a Lions fan wont be able to ever properly officiate a Lions game because of this? Or, even worse, a coach takes a ref out to dinner and now the ref is bias to that team? As a fan and as a human being, you not only should hope, but you should expect that they are professional enough to put that to the side and do what their job is. If not, why are we watching?

At the end of the day, 10 years from now, when people are talking about the Pats and their dynasty, they will be talking about their dominance in their division and the amount of chips they won, not some phantom holding call on 3rd down or other questionable calls. I know this from being a Knicks fan and watching Jordan and Phil Jackson and the refs seemingly robbing them time after time after time again. I've learned just go out there and win. Period.

Again, Patriots aren't good because of refs. That's a dumb argument. However, the refs help in certain cases. I expect refs to be professional enough. However, when a call is 50/50 bias will decide which way they lean. Which is why over a long sample it seems certain teams are favored.

Also, it's not necessairly for the reasons you mentioned. Refs are likely to favor the home team and succesfull teams have packed stadiums of people ready to rip you apart. No one likes that no matter how professional you are. Also huge succesfull teams have more fans in general and hell, probably are more likely favored by the ones who employ the refs. Not saying the refs are payed but all those things can make you lean one way when the decision is borderline a coin flip.

51 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Amen. Between the obnoxious Patriots “fan base” and the heathens of Philadelphia, I see no reason to even bother watching - whoever wins will be nauseating 

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Fantastical?  Like Spygate, where Belichick publicly admitted he did the act for which he was punished?

Obviously I was referring to Ideal Gas Law Gate. They deserved a punishment for "spygate". Although I'm not sure if filming in the wrong location is worth docking a 1st rnd pick.

1 minute ago, fletch44 said:

Obviously I was referring to Ideal Gas Law Gate. They deserved a punishment for "spygate". Although I'm not sure if filming in the wrong location is worth docking a 1st rnd pick.

Plot twist: The only reason deflate get happened was everytime anyone ever questions the refs helping the Patriots and the league favoring them they can just say "so why did deflategate happen?"

ThrowThemOffTheTrailgate

34 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Ah, that is actually wrong. I'm a huge basketball fan and likely more than an NFL fan. I'm not a Warriors fan and I don't hate them or their fan base. Why? Because even when they were an absolutely pathetic team barely winning anything their attendance was in the top half of the league and even top 10. The Patriots fans did not care if their team dissapeared. Also, Warrior fans, while obnoxious (like every extremely successful franchise) are not near the Patriots level. Not even close. 

If the Pats didn't win all the time, you wouldn't care.

Just now, apap414 said:

Had a feeling when I clicked this thread I wouldn't hear anything about the multiple holds uncalled on JAX offensive line or the clear arm bar on Cooks way down the field in the second half that, also, went uncalled.  

The refs missed calls both ways, they did ok though.

Just now, dmb3684 said:

If the Pats didn't win all the time, you wouldn't care.

If they didn't have the worst fans in the NFL I wouldn't care either. Granted, if they wouldn't win they wouldn't have fans which is the biggest problem I have with them. I do feel bad for people that were fans in the 90s but there aren't very many. 

Fans in the 90s?  Do you know when Kraft bought the team?  Clearly you don't.  Which means I also don't even need to ask if you know when the Patriots started selling out games (hint: it's years before Brady was drafted).

The most laughable thing I've maybe ever heard is a person with a "Gohawks" handle talking about bandwagon fans

Edited by apap414