NBC Sports Edge Forums

01.21.2018 - AFC Championship - Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots

6 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Funny how you have nothing to say about what actually happened in the game.

I guess you skimmed over the part about the Jags blowing a 10 point 4th quarter lead? Do you need a play by play recap? What do I need to say? Jags outplayed Pats through three quarters. Unfortunately for the Jags, the Pats compete through all four quarters, and dominated them in the 4th on their way to Brady/Belichick’s 11th 4th quarter comback playoff victory. Maybe you were too busy crying about the refs to see what actually happened in the game?

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

lol... nonsense crying about those two instances 

jack stopped running plus you have to believe when jack stripped the ball he must have made contact with Lewis. 

That was so much PI against Bouye the dude pushed cooks out of bounds

jealousy and envy 

I have the game recorded, Jack was  definitely running to the end zone and threw the ball in anger after the whistle was blown.

You can't be down by contact on a loose ball before you get possession of the ball.

I actually don't really care about Jacksonville, and I picked the Patriots to win.  But I know football from watching it live during the last five decades, and film from before that.  The refs had their finger/elbow/foot/whole body on the scale down the stretch in that one.

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

I guess you skimmed over the part about the Jags blowing a 10 point 4th quarter lead? Do you need a play by play recap? What do I need to say? Jags outplayed Pats through three quarters. Unfortunately for the Jags, the Pats compete thtough all four quarters, and dominated them in the 4th on their way to Brady/Belichick’s 11th 4th quarter comback playoff victory. Maybe you were too busy crying about the refs to see what actually happened in the game?

Isn't that the point?  It seriously makes no sense to say they blew a 10 point lead when it should have been a 17 point lead.  It cracks me up to act like referees bad calls have absolutely no effect on a game just because your team won.

2 minutes ago, 1st DownSyndrome said:

Peyton Manning is the goat but that’s an argument for a different thread. Brady is #2 though no doubt. I’d put Favre at 3. Myself at 4 and Romo at 5 for reference.

Lol @ people that still have Manning over Brady and then expect you to respect their opinion.

41 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

We get it, you wanted the Patriots to win.

There's really no arguing the fact that the refs took a defensive TD away from Myles Jack by blowing it dead.

The terrible PI call on Bouye before the half that led to a TD was also a huge deal.

How do possibly think the Pats win without those 2 calls alone?  That's a 14 point difference.

The jaguar fan...of these boards. You should be proud you’re team was up to the task. 

Don’t whine about any calls, be proud. Go read some of the comments made by the jag players. 

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I find it weak and pathetic to act like referees are responsible for your team losing.

When it's the difference between seven points or not it does matter.  

It was actually a common theme in the NFL this year,  as good as the Jaguars defense was they were screwed out of about 4 defensive touchdowns because of blowing whistles too early.

Just now, RMJ_12 said:

It was actually a common theme in the NFL this year,  as good as the Jaguars defense was they were screwed out of about 4 defensive touchdowns because of blowing whistles too early.

Actually even if you give them that Myles Jack TD, it only puts the score to 27-24 (3 points difference).

Of course then you'd have to give the Patriots that obvious PI that Bouye had on Cooks downfield in the 2nd half that wasn't called. Which would have at least put the Pats in FG position, and Gostkowski rarely misses, so at worst it's 27-27. However it's likely that the Jags give the game away anyways as they already blew it despite all this hypothetical nonsense.

Should we just call penalties on every play? Because you probably could, but that'd be a boring game to watch.

You only care about no calls or bad calls because it was against the Jags or for the Pats. I don't see you moaning about the holding JAX CBS get away with weekly, I'm sure that doesn't happen right?

I don't see you complaining about the no call on Bouye when he clearly was holding Cooks arm.

The Jags lost, move on. 

2 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Bad/missed calls are part of and impact every game. I’m sure any of us could go back and find a bunch of missed holding penalties that could’ve bern called on Jax, or a few potential PI calls, etc that might’ve changed the outcome of a given drive. What good teams do is deal with questionable calls, and then make plays to overcome them. Was it a bad call that made Jax decide to take a knee before halftime with over 50 seconds left and two timeouts? 

2 hours ago, devaster said:

The DPI was ticky tacky, but was definitely DPI. Just weird to see it called in a playoff game like that in that situation as it wasn't excessive.

The Myles Jack play happens all the team. Refs are always whistle happy and blow plays dead all the time instead of allowing them to play on and rely on replay to overturn a call if necessary. I think that is more of an issue with the way refs are taught than it was a call for the Patriots. There was the issue a few weeks ago with the refs constantly whistling sack/fumbles dead against the Chiefs which very likely led to the Titans winning.

Actually refs are specifically taught and instructed to not blow a play dead and review it later for the exact case that happened Sunday. Which makes it even more questionable. That play likely ends the game and the fact that it's not a big deal right now is odd. It's the biggest screw up of the playoffs so far when impact and how obvious it was is taken into account.

8 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Actually refs are specifically taught and instructed to not blow a play dead and review it later for the exact case that happened Sunday. Which makes it even more questionable. That play likely ends the game and the fact that it's not a big deal right now is odd. It's the biggest screw up of the playoffs so far when impact and how obvious it was is taken into account.

They might say that. But all season long we see refs blow plays dead way too early. It isn't something that is unique to a game with the Patriots.

2 hours ago, apap414 said:

Because you made the statement talking about "poor fans in the 90's".  Kraft bought the team in 1994 and it's been sell outs since.  

They have had a ton of winning seasons since. In 2000 they were 5-11 and attendance was around 482k. 5 years later for example it was around 550k. That's 8.5k difference per game which is huge.  

Compare to Seattle which I was called out for in 09 they were 5-11 after their 4-12 season they had 539k. Compared to 2014 during potentially the peak of the success? 547k. 1k difference per game.

NE tends to have the biggest swing in attendance in correlation to performance. Which is why a lot of people don't like them. Nothing to do with the team but with fans that jump off the ship at first chance. Boston sports culture. I understand it's not all of you but it's damn more than most by a wide margin and it ruins it for the loyal folks.

Edited by Gohawks
7 minutes ago, devaster said:

They might say that. But all season long we see refs blow plays dead way too early. It isn't something that is unique to a game with the Patriots.

Doesn't make it not a terrible call. Also doesn't make it potentially the reason they won. It doesn't discredit the argument that the Patriots won because of the refs because it's somewhat a frequent screw up. I don't think the game was rigged or anything like that but still...

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Doesn't make it not a terrible call. Also doesn't make it potentially the reason they won. It doesn't discredit the argument that the Patriots won because of the refs because it's somewhat a frequent screw up. I don't think the game was rigged or anything like that but still...

I'm just stating that it is an ongoing issue that needs to be addressed in the off season. Clearly the refs aren't being taught properly.

The Jags played not to lose the game. They took their foot off the gas at the end of the 1st half. The Eagles drove down at the end of the 1st half and made a FG with less time and less TO's than the Jags had. The Eagles continued to put daggers into the Vikings and give them no hope of coming back to win it. Eagles stayed aggressive from the start to the end. The Jags didn't. Bortles is part of the problem, but it is a one and done game. You can't stop being aggressive against a team like the Patriots. As soon as I saw the Jags putting up FGs instead of TDs in the 2nd half I knew the game was over for them.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm just stating that it is an ongoing issue that needs to be addressed in the off season. Clearly the refs aren't being taught properly.

The Jags played not to lose the game. They took their foot off the gas at the end of the 1st half. The Eagles drove down at the end of the 1st half and made a FG with less time and less TO's than the Jags had. The Eagles continued to put daggers into the Vikings and give them no hope of coming back to win it. Eagles stayed aggressive from the start to the end. The Jags didn't. Bortles is part of the problem, but it is a one and done game. You can't stop being aggressive against a team like the Patriots. As soon as I saw the Jags putting up FGs instead of TDs in the 2nd half I knew the game was over for them.

Oh I agree the main reason they lost is terrible coaching. I even said taking a knee at the end of the first was stupid. Coaches like this need to be fired until they get a coach the learns to not let up. I remember Belichick and Caroll both got crap for stepping on opponents necks yet together they've maybe been the most successful since 2010. 

6 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Ssh, I will let you in on a secret. There is an uncalled hold on about every other NFL play. 

"OMG he grabbed his shoulder pad  !"

That hold on #50(?) looked blatant, but calls get missed or overlooked all the time. There is so much stuff going on every play that the games would take 10 hours to complete if they called everything.

42 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

They have had a ton of winning seasons since. In 2000 they were 5-11 and attendance was around 482k. 5 years later for example it was around 550k. That's 8.5k difference per game which is huge.  

Compare to Seattle which I was called out for in 09 they were 5-11 after their 4-12 season they had 539k. Compared to 2014 during potentially the peak of the success? 547k. 1k difference per game.

NE tends to have the biggest swing in attendance in correlation to performance. Which is why a lot of people don't like them. Nothing to do with the team but with fans that jump off the ship at first chance. Boston sports culture. I understand it's not all of you but it's damn more than most by a wide margin and it ruins it for the loyal folks.

Who cares??  

23 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

That hold on #50(?) looked blatant, but calls get missed or overlooked all the time. There is so much stuff going on every play that the games would take 10 hours to complete if they called everything.

I think the player being held is Telvin Smith, aka the Jags best defender.  You can see he is trying to sprint over and tackle Lewis, because his legs are waiving in air but his torso is immobile.  The blocker has reached from behind and grabbed a handful of jersey and is holding on for dear life.  Blatant, obvious foul on the game-deciding play.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Funny that you point this out. The Patriots played at Foxboro Stadium until 2001, and from 1995-2001 it had a stated seating capacity of 60,292. 482k divided by 8 home games = 60,250 fans per game, which is basically full capacity (I assume some rounding went into this). 

Gillette Stadium, which opened in 2002, has a capacity of 66,829 according to a quick google search. That seems to account for most of your 8.5k difference right there. I'm not even sure how they got to 550k in attendance in 8 home games, since that would be about 2,000 more people attending per game than their stadium can technically hold...

Edited by mjb03003
40 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think the player being held is Telvin Smith, aka the Jags best defender.  You can see he is trying to sprint over and tackle Lewis, because his legs are waiving in air but his torso is immobile.  The blocker has reached from behind and grabbed a handful of jersey and is holding on for dear life.  Blatant, obvious foul on the game-deciding play.

That wasn’t the “game deciding play”. It was simply the last nail in the coffin. The clutch TD throw & catch from Brady to Amendola was the game deciding play if we’re going to point to one “game deciding play”.

There were many plays throughout the game that were far more important than that one. Such as, every scoring play. That said, if Smith isn’t held who knows what would’ve happened. Maybe Lewis makes a different cut or move, or breaks a tackle and still picks up the first. Maybe not. Suppose he gets stopped and Pats punt. Jags would likely be pinned deep in their own territory and Blake Bortles would’ve had to lead a last minute game winning TD drive vs New England after the Jags offense could muster up only two field goals the entire second half and the Pats D was playing great. Without that hold, the game still would’ve very likely have ended 24-20, so acting like that one play decided the game is nonsense.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Peter King weighs in on the Lewis "fumble"...

g. Re the fourth-quarter confirmation of the fumble call on the field by Dion Lewis of the Patriots: I don’t like a ruling of a fumble when the player never loses the ball, his knee hits the ground, and he still hasn’t lost control. He doesn’t have a vice-grip on the ball, but he is controlling the ball enough so that it’s not on the turf. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/22/eagles-patriots-super-bowl-52-nick-foles-tom-brady-peter-king-mmqb

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

1 hour ago, mjb03003 said:

Funny that you point this out. The Patriots played at Foxboro Stadium until 2001, and from 1995-2001 it had a stated seating capacity of 60,292. 482k divided by 8 home games = 60,250 fans per game, which is basically full capacity (I assume some rounding went into this). 

Gillette Stadium, which opened in 2002, has a capacity of 66,829 according to a quick google search. That seems to account for most of your 8.5k difference right there. I'm not even sure how they got to 550k in attendance in 8 home games, since that would be about 2,000 more people attending per game than their stadium can technically hold...

@mjb03003 just laid the smackdown on @Gohawks . He pulled a Norman Smiley on him...

xf9dstn.gif