NBC Sports Edge Forums

Favorite Player to own and why

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Bryce Harper as a rookie, and it was a blast.  Just a fun guy to root for, IMO.

If you can believe, I traded him in that keeper league.  Before you kill me, I got Cliff Lee for him and Lee helped me win the title that year.  I'm living the "Flags fly forever" mantra.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:54 AM, Coach George said:

I've had Miggy in a keeper league since 2006...

It's going to be hard to say goodbye this year, but maybe I can pick him back up in the draft.

I've also had Miggy in a keeper, but only since '10.

I had him & Kemp in 2011.  That was fun.

Kemp & Donaldson a couple years ago was a fun pair too.

I've owned Mookie since 2015 and its been such a leg up over the competition.  He makes it enjoyable to watch him play.  His 3 year average has him the #1 bat and even in his down year last year, #5 overall bat.  Low K #s and production in all categories, it's a crime having him as cheap as I do.

I got Trout at trade deadline last year, and I can't wait for this year. I feel like I haven't seen the real thing, yet. He was great, but he wasn't Trout great 2H last season.

Stanton was about as fun as it gets last year over the second half. 

Edited by MugsyBogues

Charlie Blackmon....finished number 1 player in my league last year

when there's a homestand for the week in H2H the offensive cats it was pretty much game over. Having a Bonds level 1200 plus OPS at home will do that. 

Max Scherzer....He's been the best pitcher in fantasy the last 2 years despite getting about a sixteenth of the pub that Kershaw gets...His only injury was some fluke sleeping wrong neck injury.

In my keeper league, my first one I ever did too (started mid season 2003) it was Mark Prior. Loved that dude. A shame his career turned out the way it did but he had that whole inverted W thing going on and it did him in. 

I had Jeter in that league from like 2005 on. Always loved having him on my squad. It’s how I got the nickname Jeter in all my leagues. 

Nowadays I’m such a fan of Arenado. Guy is a vacuum at 3B and just a thing of beauty at the plate. 

I really woulda loved to have seen guys naming guys that typically go 5th Rd or later but is what it is. I named a 1st Rder just the same as u guys did. 

I also love Chris Sale. His motion is just pure Randy Johnson. I remember when he first came up and some guy in my keeper traded the house for him to my biggest rival. I moaned and groaned and threw a veto down. The guy giving Sale argued that Joe Mauer said Sale was the best lefty he’d ever faced. I’d like to go back and see if I can pull up that deal to see who really won it. 

Edited by JeterPimpedUrGF

Wow. Just looked it up. The trade occurred in 2011 and it was:

Dee Gordon

Logan Morrison

Justin Smoak

Chris Sale

for 

Ubaldo Jimenez

Man did I ever hoot and holler over that trade. It passed and I was not in the least bit happy about it. Goes to show u, ya just never know. 

19 hours ago, Magoo said:

Tim Lincecum in 2008 and 2009.  I won my main league both those years and never since :(

My buddies bought him a bottle of wine out in San Fran when they were at the same restaurant as him. He went over and thanked them and was as cool as a superstar could be. One of my friends kept trying to get him to put on his Cardinals hat for a pic, but he was adamant he'd be in trouble with the league if he did it. He was a great sport about it all though. Love stories like that.

4 hours ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

In my keeper league, my first one I ever did too (started mid season 2003) it was Mark Prior. Loved that dude. A shame his career turned out the way it did but he had that whole inverted W thing going on and it did him in. 

I had Jeter in that league from like 2005 on. Always loved having him on my squad. It’s how I got the nickname Jeter in all my leagues. 

Nowadays I’m such a fan of Arenado. Guy is a vacuum at 3B and just a thing of beauty at the plate. 

I really woulda loved to have seen guys naming guys that typically go 5th Rd or later but is what it is. I named a 1st Rder just the same as u guys did. 

I also love Chris Sale. His motion is just pure Randy Johnson. I remember when he first came up and some guy in my keeper traded the house for him to my biggest rival. I moaned and groaned and threw a veto down. The guy giving Sale argued that Joe Mauer said Sale was the best lefty he’d ever faced. I’d like to go back and see if I can pull up that deal to see who really won it. 

I'll give you two from a few years back that was fun to own: Headley when he went off for 115 rbis in 2012 and Davis when he first his 50 dingers in 2013. I got lucky and targeted both guys in their respective years. It was fun to watch them go off, clearly luck for me as well. 

Another guy that I was really excited for, was Bird last season. I was really expecting a monster season and for him to be fun to watch. Unfortunately he got hurt and played like crap. I'm doubling down on him this season. I'll be targeting him and I hope he's fun to watch. 

I was saying to myself there’s really nobody that I like hafta have on my team nowadays. Then a name popped into my head, Billy Hamilton. I love owning him but then I said to myself I’m not really obsessed with him or anything and then that’s when it hit me, the guy I’m obsessed with: Brendan Rodgers. I MUST own him in every keeper league I’m in and I do. I just think he’s gonna be such a dynamic ball player, I really do. I gave it thought a few weeks back, I wouldn’t trade him for Altuve if I had the chance. Doesn’t matter though cause if u owned Altuve u wouldn’t trade him for Rodgers I'm sure, but I gave it a ton of thought and my logic was Altuve is already into his prime and with a player of his size I don’t know how he’d age. I’d rather own a guy like Rodgers into and through his entire prime. 

30 minutes ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

I was saying to myself there’s really nobody that I like hafta have on my team nowadays. Then a name popped into my head, Billy Hamilton. I love owning him but then I said to myself I’m not really obsessed with him or anything and then that’s when it hit me, the guy I’m obsessed with: Brendan Rodgers. I MUST own him in every keeper league I’m in and I do. I just think he’s gonna be such a dynamic ball player, I really do. I gave it thought a few weeks back, I wouldn’t trade him for Altuve if I had the chance. Doesn’t matter though cause if u owned Altuve u wouldn’t trade him for Rodgers I'm sure, but I gave it a ton of thought and my logic was Altuve is already into his prime and with a player of his size I don’t know how he’d age. I’d rather own a guy like Rodgers into and through his entire prime. 

Trea Turner is like that for me right now.