NBC Sports Edge Forums

Patrick Mahomes II 2018 Outlook

thebrowns

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2018 at 10:45 AM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

remember Ware's first game in '16?  Hunt last year?  

one thing about Andy, his brand new toy has been prepping for this opener all off season ... 'Homey has prolly watched more film of the Chargers than all of the other Chiefs combined ... i would say that this is the litmus test, and Reid has been scripting this one for months ... it just may be his best game of the year.

as far as efficiency, and the four TDs/ZERO picks, i'll take that prediction of "best of the year" as a win ... looking forward to similar gigs outta the kid, and we'll get 'em, but he couldn't have done better than dominating like this on the road.  yards and volume were down, but those 450/3 days are sure to follow. 

This is a fantasy QB's dream scenario. Their defense totally sucks and is among the worst in the league. Their OL is solid at pass protection but doesn't create holes in the run game. Mahomes has the best RB-TE-WR-WR combo in the league in terms of receiving ability and playmaking skills. Last but not least, he is a talented QB with one of the biggest arms in the NFL and has already shown great progression from year 1 to year 2. I expect some bumps along the way since it happens to young QBs, but as long as he stays healthy there is no way Mahomes doesn't finish top 6.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:06 AM, dudewithabadcat said:

The question to all of you auto-start bros....did you start him this week?  I'm a bareback warrior - living or dying on the wings of Mahomie.

Well, I wasn't an "auto-start bro", but no, I didn't start him. I went with Cam instead, who Mahomes outscored by 10.10 in my league. No regrets though because it didn't affect the outcome of my matchup. Gotta be honest, it's hard to start Mahomes over Cam, though I might this weekend. May just have to play matchups with these two. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Well, I wasn't an "auto-start bro", but no, I didn't start him. I went with Cam instead, who Mahomes outscored by 10.10 in my league. No regrets though because it didn't affect the outcome of my matchup. Gotta be honest, it's hard to start Mahomes over Cam, though I might this weekend. May just have to play matchups with these two. 

In the same position now. Cam’s o line worries me and he just lost Olson 

On 9/11/2018 at 12:13 AM, HiFantasy said:

Still debating if I should start him this week. 

pretty impressed the way he balled out tho. 

Start all offensive players in this game from both teams.  I don't know who your other QB option is...but Mahomes is a start versus most.

29 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

Start all offensive players in this game from both teams.  I don't know who your other QB option is...but Mahomes is a start versus most.

I have both QBs and I think I'm rolling Mahomes but could be convinced to start Big Ben. Tough choice.

4 minutes ago, slothfantasy said:

Rolling mahomes out over Cousins this time (last week started Cousins). They actually have pretty similar situations when you consider both have good TEs, RB, WRs and OLine. But the porous chiefs D should give mahomes more opportunities

I'm in the same boat...I think I'm going to go with Mahomes this week too. Can't imagine it being a low scoring game

1 hour ago, p0k said:

I'm in the same boat...I think I'm going to go with Mahomes this week too. Can't imagine it being a low scoring game

I have the the same pair too. I think I will likely start Mahomes most weeks unless it’s a bad matchup.

Mahomes shouldn’t even be in consideration to be benched unless he completely flops first and has a rough matchup the next game. It would take a string of bad games for me to consider rostering a backup and he prolly won’t be on the bench outside of the bye

19 hours ago, clarkevii said:

I have both QBs and I think I'm rolling Mahomes but could be convinced to start Big Ben. Tough choice.

This IMO is a coin flip.  Weather in the 'burgh is set to be 80 degrees and 10% chance of rain (partly cloudy).  All systems go for both QB's.  

Both have dynamic playmakers (AB & Hill).  Check Big Ben's elbow injury but Pittsburg at home with something to prove and I'll give him 6 out of 10 coin toss wins.  But...nobody would blame you for starting Mahomes either.  Nice problem to have.

My choices are Mahomes/Cam and Mahones/Stafford.  I'm starting Mahomes without a second thought.

Just now, JJ1223 said:

Is it too soon to try and trade whatever other QB you drafted as insurance?

I've been trying to trade my other quarterback, but I don't think people are that desperate yet :)

8 minutes ago, Bowman said:

I've got Rodgers, Mahomes and Rivers (deep benches in my league). Nobody is interested in trading yet.

ARod - currently gimpy

Phil - three days older than dirt, late season swoons on the resumé

'Homie - still only 2 career starts under his belt. 

Me? hell, i'll take any of the three, but jus' sayin'

oh, and FTR - i be a bareback 'Homie rider in all three of my leagues.  

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

Is it too soon to try and trade whatever other QB you drafted as insurance?

Im trying my best right now to trade Wentz. Tbh I had no idea mahomes would be this good so I feel having wentz is just a waste of a spot for me rn.

Also for those in 1 QB 12 team leagues theres a chance every single team has a stud QB and isnt going to waste trying to upgrade. In my league the only guy I even think I have a shot at trading with has stafford as his qb and isnt quite desperate enough yet, literally every other team has a high upside or high draft pick QB.

We know Mahomes is good.  Qe know he has a cannon arm and will add alittle extra in the rushing department.  We know the offensive weapons he has at his disposal are as good as any in the NFL.  We know the Chiefs D is a weak spot for their team.  So the question is, how good is this going to turn out for us fantasy owners?  Are we looking at Fantasies overall QB1 this season?  I think this scenario is a very very strong possibility.  Reid wouldn't have let Alex go if he wasn't confident in his guy Patrick.  At this point he's a surefire lock to be a top 5 QB and quite possibly fantasies #1 overall scorer for 2018.  

10 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

We know Mahomes is good.  Qe know he has a cannon arm and will add alittle extra in the rushing department.  We know the offensive weapons he has at his disposal are as good as any in the NFL.  We know the Chiefs D is a weak spot for their team.  So the question is, how good is this going to turn out for us fantasy owners?  Are we looking at Fantasies overall QB1 this season?  I think this scenario is a very very strong possibility.  Reid wouldn't have let Alex go if he wasn't confident in his guy Patrick.  At this point he's a surefire lock to be a top 5 QB and quite possibly fantasies #1 overall scorer for 2018.  

Dude is legit.  Stoked to have him paired w TyFreak.  They're one play from winning a week each and every time they touch the ball.

What is it with fantasy football players and not being able to think long term?

People already trying to trade away other QB's are insane. I am a huge Mahomes believer, started him over Wilson last week and will be doing the same again this week. But one game does not make a trend. 

Wait 4 weeks and see how he fares. Nobody is buying QB's after one week anyways, especially when none got injured (unless you have someone who was starting Mariota). Overreaction after 1 week is the perfect way to ruin your fantasy season.

Wait for maximum value. Odds are you have another QB since Mahomes was probably a late round draft. Worst case scenario you keep both QB's and Mahomes maybe does not end up panning out, but you still have your backup. You trade away your other option and he ends up flopping, well have fun with Mariota or Eli for the rest of the season instead of Wentz, Wilson, or who ever else you might have traded away. 

37 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

What is it with fantasy football players and not being able to think long term?

People already trying to trade away other QB's are insane. I am a huge Mahomes believer, started him over Wilson last week and will be doing the same again this week. But one game does not make a trend. 

Wait 4 weeks and see how he fares. Nobody is buying QB's after one week anyways, especially when none got injured (unless you have someone who was starting Mariota). Overreaction after 1 week is the perfect way to ruin your fantasy season.

Wait for maximum value. Odds are you have another QB since Mahomes was probably a late round draft. Worst case scenario you keep both QB's and Mahomes maybe does not end up panning out, but you still have your backup. You trade away your other option and he ends up flopping, well have fun with Mariota or Eli for the rest of the season instead of Wentz, Wilson, or who ever else you might have traded away. 

In a 12 team league with decent options on waivers anyway, holding on to a second QB could end up resulting in missing out on a great waiver wire pick up. I understand not wanting to overreact but if he's dominating the Chargers D that bad (yes I know they had some injuries) I am reasonably confident in his rest of season outlook to trade away a decent QB like Wentz in order to get one of my early season trade targets before they explode and become untradeable to their owners. The chiefs D will be one of the worst in the league and I expect a lot of shootouts this year.

Archived