NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Burke 2017-2018 Season Outlook

This guy suddenly pops up out of nowhere . Played 29mins with 18pts ( 8-12 shooting ) and 11 AST.  What do you think guys? can he have consistent PG minutes? I saw jack (26), frank (19) and baker (12) all played. 

Edited by hoopking
  • Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dropped Tomas for him, short term pick up vs possible ROS starter. Two factors for me, the shot attempts for one, and if you’re jumping into playoffs, there are a lot of full days. Knicks have a bad

I do not expect those averages but he was almost out of the league and apparently refocused his life and was desperate to get back.  He definitely looks like a completely different player in terms of

Tim Hardaway Jr.- The Knicks are saying all the right things about player development and how they still want to remain competitive, but they have a legitimate reason to shut down Hardaway Jr. because

14 team flier.

15/5 per 36 last year with Wiz was passable. He showed he could play in this league as a rookie. I read where he said the Jazz drafting Exum messed with his head and he’s got it straightened out this year by aggressive, focused play. Made the G-league his bee-otch, averaging 2 stls alongside buckets of popcorn. Waivers are always awful after all star break. A 2nd half lottery ticket on the thinnest team in the league at his position has gotta be as good as any top-200 huckleberry.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SGWannabe said:

I'm very sure soon he will be inserted to starting lineup.

Expect him to produce something like 19pts, close to 2.0 3's, 6-7 ast, close to 1 stl per game. He improved his shot selection also, expect a good FG%. 

You really think a player who has been out of the league this year can do this? He was garbage in Utah. What do you think changed?

1 hour ago, Trade Monster said:

You really think a player who has been out of the league this year can do this? He was garbage in Utah. What do you think changed?

I do not expect those averages but he was almost out of the league and apparently refocused his life and was desperate to get back.  He definitely looks like a completely different player in terms of confidence.  

• Like 2

Wouldn’t be the first D/G leaguer to make a difference 2nd half. It’s starting to look like one about every other year. Whiteside and RoCo are for real. Burke’s CV looks a tier above Covington and same/same with Whiteside coming in, with real need from NYKnicks at his position. It’s early but early bird gets the worm. Easy to drop an MKG type for the upside.

Edited by bdy1
  • Like 1

Free agent pickups have a 95% fail rate, so I tend to lean towards the pessimistic side on them. They are basically lottery tickets, but I think Trey Burke at least have a chance to pop. If he really improved his game, his situation gives him a puncher's chance to be fantasy relevant for the rest of the season.

#1 Pedigree

He was a former lottery pick who had a lot of success in college and thought highly enough to be drafted high and start right away.

#2 Proven Past Performance

He has proven that he can put up numbers when he was a starter in his rookie and sophomore years. 

#3 Team Needs 

Hornacek's Knicks offense has been missing a penetrating, scoring guard all season. Jack is more of a caretaker while Ntilikina is not ready to handle heavy playmaking responsibility yet. Jack (18.4) and Ntilikina (18.0) both have very low usage rate, whereas Burke basically controls the offense when he's in the game (27.2). The Knicks desperately need somebody who can create on the perimeter, and Burke at least fills that needs. 

The situation almost reminds me of Linsanity: a coach who runs a PG-centric offense (D'Antoni / Hornacek) finds a scoring PG from the scrap heap who just happens to provide what the coach needs. His biggest problem was his defense, but he was also awfully young. Seeing that Hornacek is willing to play Kanter so much, maybe he'll also let Burke play.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Elcamino said:

The splits when he plays 30+ minutes over the last two seasons are amazing.  He's 25, and if THJ gets shut down, I can't see why he doesn't get run.  NY is doing lots of 2 guard sets....Jack is out of the picture.  Worth a shot

Why in the world would THJ got shut down? He is also 25 and, unlike Burke, they paid him 70 million! He's playing until his legs fall off, I'll tell you that!

30 minutes ago, Mad Luke said:

Why in the world would THJ got shut down? He is also 25 and, unlike Burke, they paid him 70 million! He's playing until his legs fall off, I'll tell you that!

Tim Hardaway Jr.- The Knicks are saying all the right things about player development and how they still want to remain competitive, but they have a legitimate reason to shut down Hardaway Jr. because of his recent stress injury. As we’ve seen with players like Bradley Beal and Jrue Holiday, stress injuries are no joke and the Knicks would be wise to err on the side of caution. Getting a better draft pick makes it a win-win situation for the Knicks long term. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/78063/484/roundtable-shut-down-alert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Elcamino said:

Tim Hardaway Jr.- The Knicks are saying all the right things about player development and how they still want to remain competitive, but they have a legitimate reason to shut down Hardaway Jr. because of his recent stress injury. As we’ve seen with players like Bradley Beal and Jrue Holiday, stress injuries are no joke and the Knicks would be wise to err on the side of caution. Getting a better draft pick makes it a win-win situation for the Knicks long term. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/78063/484/roundtable-shut-down-alert

Was unaware of the injury. Another tough blow for the Knicks...

• Like 1

Coach Jeff Hornacek said Burke could be in like for more minutes coming out of the break, and that certainly was the case the first game out, as Burke received 30 minutes off the bench Thursday night. Hornacek is trying to evaluate all three of his point guards in a lost season, so all should see plenty of time going forward, with Burke's strong outing putting him in contention for the starting role and the most minutes of the three.

• Like 1