NBC Sports Edge Forums

3 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Why not just draft a QB?

I think with QBs it is way safer to go for one in the hand over two in the bush.  A proven NFL QB is worth so much more than potential in the modern league.  This is going to be one of the more  exciting off seasons with QB's.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Do you like any of the QB's in this year's draft? I like Mayfield, but he is under-sized and not many succeed at his size outside of greats like Brees and Wilson. With good coaching and the right scheme I think he can have a career.

I like Darnold and Rosen longterm. Im on the fence about Mayfield still but not the biggest fan of his style.

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

I think with QBs it is way safer to go for one in the hand over two in the bush.  A proven NFL QB is worth so much more than potential in the modern league.  This is going to be one of the more  exciting off seasons with QB's.

Proven QBs are nice, but if you can hit on your pick like the Eagles did with Wentz or the Rams did with Goff you'll be ahead of the game for at least 4-5 years.

Foles is likely available for a 2nd round pick. Maybe even a 3rd. He won't cost a ton and could be offered a contract with only guarantees in the first two seasons like Glennon. Team could still draft a rookie QB that will be on a cheap contract 4 out of their first 5 seasons (unless the 5th year option isn't picked up).

1 minute ago, LeeVanCleef said:

And do you really trust the scouts and player evaluaters on this team? It's been a constant swing and a MISS. 

It's a dice roll for sure, but the risk is there with paying a FA a ton of money too. Pick your poison.

Just now, mrblonde1984 said:

It's a dice roll for sure, but the risk is there with paying a FA a ton of money too. Pick your poison.

That's what I'm saying. It's gonna be a catch 22. But out of all the choices...foles won playoff games and a SB against our greatest foe.  Either way, it's gonna be an interesting offseason for us. I just hope we make more right decisions, than wrong.

Just now, devaster said:

Foles is likely available for a 2nd round pick. Maybe even a 3rd. He won't cost a ton and could be offered a contract with only guarantees in the first two seasons like Glennon. Team could still draft a rookie QB that will be on a cheap contract 4 out of their first 5 seasons (unless the 5th year option isn't picked up).

Foles played great in Philly, but Im not sure that'll translate with different coaches and supporting staff. Guess you have to at least consider him if you're in need of a QB though...

I really do think the writing is on the wall concerning Belichick's future in NE though. The Butler decision. Jimmy G being shipped off (the franchise's future at QB). Now reports of McDaniels backing off the Colts job. McDaniels the next NE coach?

Just now, devaster said:

I really do think the writing is on the wall concerning Belichick's future in NE though. The Butler decision. Jimmy G being shipped off (the franchise's future at QB). Now reports of McDaniels backing off the Colts job. McDaniels the next NE coach?

He won't be fired. Only way he leaves is if he wants to retire, and I don't really see how benching Butler or trading Jimmy has anything to do with that.

Just now, mrblonde1984 said:

Foles played great in Philly, but Im not sure that'll translate with different coaches and supporting staff. Guess you have to at least consider him if you're in need of a QB though...

I agree. It was a perfect storm of OL, coaching/play-calling, and skill position players for Foles. He likely doesn't get that with another team. But with the right coaching he has shown he can still succeed.

Philly is fine with anything though. Foles is signed through 2018 and could back up Wentz coming back from injury.

5 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Proven QBs are nice, but if you can hit on your pick like the Eagles did with Wentz or the Rams did with Goff you'll be ahead of the game for at least 4-5 years.

What is the percentage on that working out though?  It seems like most of the hits are more by luck than actual scouting.  Why not take the risk on a position with less risk involved than QB?

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

What is the percentage on that working out though?  It seems like most of the hits are more by luck than actual scouting.  Why not take the risk on a position with less risk involved than QB?

No idea, but you'll probably see 5 QBs go in the first this year. The risk is there but the reward is huge if you hit.

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

I agree. It was a perfect storm of OL, coaching/play-calling, and skill position players for Foles. He likely doesn't get that with another team. But with the right coaching he has shown he can still succeed.

Philly is fine with anything though. Foles is signed through 2018 and could back up Wentz coming back from injury.

You should go back to the thread that Ironcock posted in 2016. I said that with the right scheme and coaching Foles can succeed. You weren't high on Foles with your comments in that thread but I'm glad that you see it now as I did back then. He can execute and win games. He looked really poised and ice cold out there tonight on the biggest stage ever. That's what you want out of a franchise QB and he earned it. Team effort but he wasn't carried there like say Sanchez was back in 09-10.

Edited by LeeVanCleef
4 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

You should go back to the thread that Ironcock posted in 2016. I said that with the right scheme and coaching Foles can succeed. You weren't high on Foles with your comments in that thread but I'm glad that you see it now as I did back then. He can execute and win games. He looked really poised and ice cold out there tonight on the biggest stage ever. That's what you want out of a franchise QB and he earned it. Team effort but he wasn't carried there like say Sanchez was back in 09-10.

Foles still has mechanical issues in the pocket, but they looked non-existent in the last couple games. Pederson's coaching has been amazing. That SB was probably his best play from the pocket in his entire career. Although the Patriots' pass rush isn't that great and the Eagles have probably the best OL in the league, even with Peters out.

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Foles still has mechanical issues in the pocket, but they looked non-existent in the last couple games. Pederson's coaching has been amazing. That SB was probably his best play from the pocket in his entire career. Although the Patriots' pass rush isn't that great and the Eagles have probably the best OL in the league, even with Peters out.

I loved the balls on Pederson and I admire his all or nothing attitude. It was a breath of fresh air to see. Eagles are in good hands for years to come, I'm jealous lol

29 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

If you consider the first QB picked in the draft every season, and only consider them if they’re in the top 10….

Starting at 2012 (Luck) and working backwards, to 2001 (Vick),  the answer to “Can this QB play in the NFL” is yes 9 times to 3 “no” (Carr, Young, JaMarcus).

If the question is “Did drafting this player give our team a franchise QB” it’s more like 5-7

So the odds on hitting on QB if you’ve got the first QB picked in the draft, and the QB is picked in the top 10 aren’t that great, and they just get worse after that.  You still should try, because it’s a huge advantage if you land one.

As for Foles, why would Philly trade him?  He just won them the Super Bowl and their other guy is trying to recover from a torn ACL that will probably cost him the entire off-season.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

As for Foles, why would Philly trade him?  He just won them the Super Bowl and their other guy is trying to recover from a torn ACL that will probably cost him the entire off-season.

I think they would do Foles the courtesy if he wants to go. His value is high right now. Foles definitely has the chance to be a starter again and get a big pay-day. The Eagles could use him next season, but his value might go down a bit and he misses out on a year of starting for an entire season and a bigger salary.

He just helped win the first SB ever for the Eagles. If he wants to go I think they let him and get a decent pick in return.

12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think Belichick was going to retire if the Pats won.  Now I bet he'll be back.  Malcolm Butler won't.

Agreed - Butler has about as much of a chance of coming back as Tom Brady has a chance of shaking Nick Foles’s hand after losing to him in the SB.

38 minutes ago, devaster said:

I think they would do Foles the courtesy if he wants to go. His value is high right now. Foles definitely has the chance to be a starter again and get a big pay-day. The Eagles could use him next season, but his value might go down a bit and he misses out on a year of starting for an entire season and a bigger salary.

He just helped win the first SB ever for the Eagles. If he wants to go I think they let him and get a decent pick in return.

Since when do NFL teams let valuable assets under contract leave out of the goodness of their hearts?  Also, are we totally positive Wentz is going to start over Foles in 2018?  Foles just won the Super Bowl for the Eagles, what more can a team ask from its quarterback?

What a wonderful Super Bowl victory by the Philadelphia Eagles.  Foles is a very inspiring story.  He was virtually certain to retire?  What an admirable crew.  Sportsmanlike and fiercely competitive- I am proud of these guys.

Edited by BMcP
5 hours ago, devaster said:

Foles isn't going anywhere. Realistically Wentz won't be ready until around week 4. The injury was much worse than feared. I see no circumstance where they trade Foles. If they do it will be in season next year.