NBC Sports Edge Forums

10 hours ago, LeeVanCleef said:

image1_1.jpg

I completely forgot that I ended up sitting Cousins in my championship game and streamed Nick Foles and I won. It was a sign that Foles would win the Super Bowl.

Ditto. And it's funny because after that dud of a game against the Raiders, it seemed to me like the Eagles had no shot at all for the Super Bowl...go figure!

BTW, I also had Tyreek and Kelce in my starting lineup (along with Foles over Cousins).

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, jnormy said:

We clearly hang with different crowds then. I personally know many people who are among the nicest, most giving human beings on the face of the planet but who do indeed root against certain teams they can't stand. You may consider that last part a serious personal flaw on their part, but to me it's only sports after all and certainly doesn't come close to defining their entire personal body of work. 

I am an awesome fellow and a peach of a guy. I always root against Tom Brady and take pleasure in his failures because it is fun and entertaining, not because I actually care. Oddly I have always rooted for Hoodie because I think he is the GOAT of coaching so always a paradox for me. :lol:

6 minutes ago, jnormy said:

We clearly hang with different crowds then. I personally know many people who are among the nicest, most giving human beings on the face of the planet but who do indeed root against certain teams they can't stand. You may consider that last part a serious personal flaw on their part, but to me it's only sports after all and certainly doesn't come close to defining their entire personal body of work. 

Yep ... people hate winners. 

The New England Patriots for twenty years have been winners so you know what ... people hate the Patriots. 

The New York Yankees are hated ... they are winners 

14 minutes ago, jnormy said:

It's not about rooting against a team so much as it is finding your own personal happiness when that team fails. When someone's joy is directly dictated by another's failure that screams insecurity and malcontent to me. 

But whatever tomato, to-ma-to.

Perhaps they're amazing people, but I have to wonder about people who seem more concerned with hating on a particular sports team than rooting for their own.

It is what it is though.

Edited by Shake

People hate gloating winners. Us Eagles fans have been hearing it from the Cowboys for two decades since they went on that run in the 90's. So many irritating bandwagon fans. Every season the Cowboys get hyped up. Every season Cowboys fans talk about us not having any rings. At least that meme can finally die. My main fantasy league is nearly half/half Eagles/Cowboys fans. And then a couple randoms like a Bengals or Broncos fan.

7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

The New England Patriots for twenty years have been winners so you know what ... people hate the Patriots. 

People also hate cheaters.  Patriots have been caught and penalized more than once for cheating.  Also, I hate the fact that the AFC East has been garbage and has given them a free pass to the divisional round of the playoffs almost every year.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

People hate gloating winners. Us Eagles fans have been hearing it from the Cowboys for two decades since they went on that run in the 90's. So many irritating bandwagon fans. Every season the Cowboys get hyped up. Every season Cowboys fans talk about us not having any rings. At least that meme can finally die. My main fantasy league is nearly half/half Eagles/Cowboys fans. And then a couple randoms like a Bengals or Broncos fan.

us Cowboy fans are happy you got this off your chest finally.......:)    

Congratulations

Edited by BlakeP42
2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I always ask a gloating pats fans  after which SB did they become a Pats fan. . . :lol:

2 minutes ago, raltherr said:

People also hate cheaters.  Patriots have been caught and penalized more than once for cheating.  Also, I hate the fact that the AFC East has been garbage and has given them a free pass to the divisional round of the playoffs almost every year.

Didnt the Panthers get warned for heating up footballs against the Vikings a few years ago? Doesn't sound like upstanding behavior to me.

Glass houses and all.

5 minutes ago, raltherr said:

It’s all about people being jealous of success .. so they go out and make $hit up. 

Crying for twenty years about the AFC east ...lol 

36 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Exactly. There isn’t a Michigan fan who doesn’t take joy in Ohio St failures, there isn’t s NC fan who doesn’t revel in Duke losses. That’s being a fan, not a bystander.

13 minutes ago, devaster said:

Winning changes ...you eagle fans ain’t any different. 

One thing I seen first hand when a Philadelphia sport team wins the fans have no class..

21 minutes ago, raltherr said:

It's not NE's fault that their divisional counterparts have been below average teams with inept front offices. 

31 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Exactly. There isn’t a Michigan fan who doesn’t take joy in Ohio St failures, there isn’t s NC fan who doesn’t revel in Duke losses. That’s being a fan, not a bystander.

Bingo!

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I'm a hater and kinda proud of it. You know its the way Patriots and Yankees won. The Yankees bought some of there titles and the Patriots cheat.

I still dislike Reggie Jackson. Its nice to see someone else win, its good for the game.

Let the haters enjoy the off season. 

37 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

I'm a hater and kinda proud of it. You know its the way Patriots and Yankees won. The Yankees bought some of there titles and the Patriots cheat.

I still dislike Reggie Jackson. Its nice to see someone else win, its good for the game.

Let the haters enjoy the off season. 

So the Patriots have cheated for 18 years? They've won every game and every championship because they cheated? That's some strong "rationale" right there. If they cheated wouldn't they have won more SBs than 5? Wouldn't they have not lost 3? Wouldn't they have not lost in the AFC title game to the Ravens and Broncos in the past 5 years? 

They win because they have a GOAT at coach and QB. They lost last night because the Eagles did what other teams do not, play to win. They threw everything at them, and that's what it takes to beat the Patriots on the big stage. Kudos to Philly for that performance.

With all that said, at least you admit to being a hater, so I'll give you that.

15 minutes ago, Shake said:

So the Patriots have cheated for 18 years? They've won every game and every championship because they cheated? That's some strong "rationale" right there. If they cheated wouldn't they have won more SBs than 5? Wouldn't they have not lost 3? Wouldn't they have not lost in the AFC title game to the Ravens and Broncos in the past 5 years? 

They win because they have a GOAT at coach and QB. They lost last night because the Eagles did what other teams do not, play to win. They threw everything at them, and that's what it takes to beat the Patriots on the big stage. Kudos to Philly for that performance.

With all that said, at least you admit to being a hater, so I'll give you that.

That's also a poor rationale. Cheating doesnt insure success. Cheating means you obtain an unfair advantage but you still have to execute and outperform your opponent. 

The rewards of professional sports I believe incentivize many to cheat whether individually or organizationally. Some get caught and most don't.

Edited by dashoe
13 minutes ago, dashoe said:

That's also a poor rationale. Cheating doesnt insure success. Cheating means you obtain an unfair advantage but you still have to execute and outperform your opponent. 

The rewards of professional sports I believe incentivize many to cheat whether individually or organizationally. Some get caught and most don't.

I don't see how that's poor rationale considering the perception is that the reason they win is because they "cheat". 

I realize you have to make the plays to win, even if you didn't play by the rules, but people use the cheat rationale like it's a forgone conclusion they're going to win regardless...which it's not.

If they actually were cheating to win it's no doubt in my mind they'd have more SB wins. There's no doubt in my mind they don't lose to Eli Manning twice and Nick Foles in the SB, or Joe Flacco and past his prime Peyton Manning in the AFC title game in the last 10 years. Not taking anything away from those guys or teams those years by the way but other than Peyton, the other guys aren't on Brady's level. But they were, or their team was for those nights.

You can't have it both ways. It's cheating when they win but it's still cheating but they didn't make enough plays when they lose? Come on.

Or maybe it's just being a great team when they win and not good enough on that particular night when they lose.

Edited by Shake
1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

This is not necessairly the case. For example, i'm a big basketball fan and don't hate the Warriors despite not being a fan of the team. I believe they did things the right way and them going after KD was due to incredible drafting. While their fans are obnoxious like all winning fan bases, they don't show a huge sense of entitlement like the Patriots. Again, the whole "eating cheese and sipping wine" sort of deal. It's fine if you expect to be in the big game. However, it's another deal when you have 29 fan bases dreaming of winning and then the Patriots fans sitting around acting like making the super bowl is just another walk in the park and no big deal. The "i'm used to this", "it'st just another super bowl i'm getting tired of winning". and etc comments tends to set fans off when they dream of winning the super bowl.

The Yankees are even worse.  They don't win games and act like they're the biggest deal in the world. The fan base plays a large part in how people view the team. Plus, the entire cheating thing turns people off. If you feel it was a huge deal or not is irrelevant. When you combine things like spy gate with the worst fan base in the NFL blaming everything on them being winners doesn't hold much water. Now, would people hate them if they weren't winners? Probably not but that's also because their fans would crawl into caves and actually learn to appreciate winning.

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

This is not necessairly the case. For example, i'm a big basketball fan and don't hate the Warriors despite not being a fan of the team. I believe they did things the right way and them going after KD was due to incredible drafting. While their fans are obnoxious like all winning fan bases, they don't show a huge sense of entitlement like the Patriots. Again, the whole "eating cheese and sipping wine" sort of deal. It's fine if you expect to be in the big game. However, it's another deal when you have 29 fan bases dreaming of winning and then the Patriots fans sitting around acting like making the super bowl is just another walk in the park and no big deal. The "i'm used to this", "it'st just another super bowl i'm getting tired of winning". and etc comments tends to set fans off when they dream of winning the super bowl.

The Yankees are even worse.  They don't win games and act like they're the biggest deal in the world. The fan base plays a large part in how people view the team. Plus, the entire cheating thing turns people off. If you feel it was a huge deal or not is irrelevant. When you combine things like spy gate with the worst fan base in the NFL blaming everything on them being winners doesn't hold much water. Now, would people hate them if they weren't winners? Probably not but that's also because their fans would crawl into caves and actually learn to appreciate winning.

Whats wrong with eating cheese and drinking wine? Lol

I don't drink but I do enjoy some cheese every now and then. ?

Patriots are 2-3 in Super Bowls since they got busted for Spygate.  If not for a miracle INT by Butler and an epic collapse by the Falcons, they'd be 0-5.  GTFO of here with the greatest of all time talk.  What they've done is impressive and the deserve credit.  I imagine it's still hard to pull off even when you're cheating.  Walsh/Montana > Bellicheat/Brady.

Edited by raltherr