NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Super Bowl

shakestreet

3 hours ago, South Carolina said:

It was no doubt a brilliant coaching job by Dougy P. He went toe to toe with The greatest coach ever and knocked him out. He stayed aggressive the entire time and never waivered from his game plan. They had no answers. This is exactly what he was doing all year. He should have been Coach of the year hands down! 

Andy Reid called Pederson after the game to give him a lecture about how being too aggressive could have backfired on him. . .:D

Edited by dashoe

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder to what extent the RPO plays hit England right where they live.  My understanding is that there is no way for the defense to know ahead of time if it is a run or pass (one strength of Patriots is diagnosing their opponent's plays based on formation, game sotuation, down & distance, etc).  Secondly, the RPO plays put maximum stress on the linebackers, who are generally lousy on New England with Hightower hurt and some other good ones run off by BB (Collins, Jones, and others).

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I wonder to what extent the RPO plays hit England right where they live.  My understanding is that there is no way for the defense to know ahead of time if it is a run or pass (one strength of Patriots is diagnosing their opponent's plays based on formation, game sotuation, down & distance, etc).  Secondly, the RPO plays put maximum stress on the linebackers, who are generally lousy on New England with Hightower hurt and some other good ones run off by BB (Collins, Jones, and others).

RPO is just another form of play-action. It was working well because they couldn't stop the run either. Eagles have had one of the best rushing offenses all season.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

RPO is just another form of play-action. It was working well because they couldn't stop the run either. Eagles have had one of the best rushing offenses all season.

Exactly the pats couldnt stop any aspect of the Eagles offense, 

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Eh it's somewhat another form of playaction. It's more or less an educated version of play action which makes it so deadly. In other words, it's only going to be play action if play action would be the proper call in that situation. I expect RPO to really ramp up in the NFL. 

I would love to see a team like Seattle implement it with Wilson also having an option to run. Not just once a game either but play after play. A defense having to react to 3 options is brutal. I'm surprised the RPO isn't bigger.

7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Eh it's somewhat another form of playaction. It's more or less an educated version of play action which makes it so deadly. In other words, it's only going to be play action if play action would be the proper call in that situation. I expect RPO to really ramp up in the NFL. 

I would love to see a team like Seattle implement it with Wilson also having an option to run. Not just once a game either but play after play. A defense having to react to 3 options is brutal. I'm surprised the RPO isn't bigger.

It is when there is competent playcalling. This is rare in the NFL -- they'd rather mock innovators like Chip Kelly than adopt the best parts of their designs. Obviously as a SEA fan, you know firsthand about playcalling incompetence.

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

This this this!

I thought Seattle should have backed up the Brinks truck to try and get DiFilippo as OC.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Good points here. 

The Patriots LBs lacked speed once Hightower went down.  

Also,  the Pats struggled all season vs runs from 3 wr sets... which just so happened to be Philly's base set.   

Jax was very successful with RPO the few times they actually ran it.

Another point,  to counter RPO man press coverage really helps.   Now Pederson does things via formation that makes it difficult to play man press all the time (stacking wrs) but the bigger point is once i heard that Butler was basically inactive I knew the Pats were even more screwed on defense. 

At the college level Ohio State generally does a nice job containing the RPO.  But they emphasize through recruiting corners that can play man with no help and front seven speed.

17 hours ago, Bastardo! said:

This is weird:  Tom Brady shakes hands with opposing quarterback when he wins, but not when he loses.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/tom-brady-foles-handshake-super-bowl-lii-photos-video-eagles-patriots-quarterback-sportsmanship 

Because he's a D-Bag. 

19 hours ago, Bastardo! said:

This is weird:  Tom Brady shakes hands with opposing quarterback when he wins, but not when he loses.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/tom-brady-foles-handshake-super-bowl-lii-photos-video-eagles-patriots-quarterback-sportsmanship 

Maybe he has a superstitious of being photographed as the loser shaking hands and think it's bad luck.:lol:

7 hours ago, dashoe said:

The EAGLES with a backup QB beat the pats. How awesome is that?

Was this  the first time Brady played against a backup QB in the superbowl?

Case Keenum is thinking it should have been him. . .:lol:

Even better. How great was it that the Eagles curb stomped the Vikings in the NFC Championship game in Philly and then celebrated Superbowl victory in their pretty little dome? That stadium is tainted forever!!! Haha

5 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Even better. How great was it that the Eagles curb stomped the Vikings in the NFC Championship game in Philly and then celebrated Superbowl victory in their pretty little dome? That stadium is tainted forever!!! Haha

Yes, there is that "Philly stank" that just hangs in the air.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:57 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

I know I do, thanks for sharing. Good to know that Doug Pederson, the new golden boy also has a "runner-up mentality". ;) This one's interesting & was updated just a matter of days prior to SB LII.  

"Steve Spagnuolo, who was the linebackers coach for the Eagles in 2005 when the team faced off against the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX... now believes late Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson was right about New England cheating during the game. “The biggest thing we learned was make sure you have two signal callers, not one signal caller, because they may have all your signals,” Spagnuole said... “I remember through the course of the game Jim [Johnson] saying, ‘They’re getting our signals. They know when we’re blitzing … try to hide it.’ I remember distinctly thinking. ‘I don’t think so Jim, just concentrate on calling the game,’ ” Spagnuolo recalled. “In hindsight, he was right. When you go back and look at that tape, it was evident to us. … We believe that Tom [Brady] knew when we were pressuring him because he certainly got the ball out pretty quick.” ... How did New England seem completely prepared for the rarely used dime defense the Eagles deployed in the second quarter, scoring touchdowns on three of four drives? The Eagles suspected that either practices were filmed or a playbook was stolen. “To this day, some believe that we were robbed by the Patriots not playing by the rules … and knowing our game plan,” a former Eagles football operations staffer says."  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/patriots-cheat-spygate-eagles-super-bowl-steve-spagnuolo-20180129.html 

The counter of course is that the Patriots do know what their opponent is running, simply because they're better prepared! Can they know their personnel, check. Formations, check. Tendencies, check. Nearly every play from every formation & situation? Okay, explain how...or is the argument that it isn't true? Seems naive to suggest that the precautions the Eagles took in this one are totally unrelated to what the Eagles staff believed was happening in SBXXXIX. Again, not to suggest there's one devil & 31 angels. To those who will still roll their eyes, short of a confession, what sort of evidence do you need to see?  

What this and subsequent topics has taught me is that the New England Patriots and Tom Brady currently own the space between all of your ears. 

Not just the posters on here but countless media members and coaches all across the NFL.

It's both hilarious and sad at the same time. But whatever you all need to justify a dynasty without actually giving any credit for them just being better than the teams they played most years.

Edited by Shake