Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Curious.

 

Why does no one mention the 70s Steelers and the rampant PED use?

Why does no one talk about Jerry Rice admitting to using stickem during his career?

The Broncos in the 90s going over the salary cap leading to deferred payments to Elway and Terrell Davis?

 

No one cares about that right? People gloss over that every day and then get a hard on for the Patriots "infractions".

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Shake said:

Curious.

 

Why does no one mention the 70s Steelers and the rampant PED use?

Why does no one talk about Jerry Rice admitting to using stickem during his career?

Because there was league wide use = even playing field

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shake said:

Curious.

 

Why does no one mention the 70s Steelers and the rampant PED use?

Why does no one talk about Jerry Rice admitting to using stickem during his career?

The Broncos in the 90s going over the salary cap leading to deferred payments to Elway and Terrell Davis?

 

No one cares about that right? People gloss over that every day and then get a hard on for the Patriots "infractions".

 

Yea, everyone did it back then. It's like the steroid era in baseball. The Patriots only problem is that they got caught. Every team does it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the Patriots are currently spying, filming, getting playbooks, within the rules or not.  There is no longer any doubt that BB and his group will go pretty far to get an edge in the intell department.

 

I just love the fact that the Eagles ran a fake walk-through.  If nothing else, doing that probably gave the Eagles players just a little confidence boost going into  Super Bowl LII.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the Falcons were torching the Patriots in last year's SB I don't put any weight into the rumors that the Patriots might still be trying to tape or spy, if they ever did. The Falcons lost because of coaching stupidity and excellent execution from the Patriots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, devaster said:

Considering the Falcons were torching the Patriots in last year's SB I don't put any weight into the rumors that the Patriots might still be trying to tape or spy, if they ever did. The Falcons lost because of coaching stupidity and excellent execution from the Patriots.

Or did the Patriots have a database of Atlanta's signals, and just needed a half to decipher how the Falcon's CS was mixing them up to prevent them being read by the opponent?  My scenario is plausible, and could be from legal observation, game film, and preparation.  Steve Young said a few years ago that once your opponent figures out your defensive signals, the game is over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Or did the Patriots have a database of Atlanta's signals, and just needed a half to decipher how the Falcon's CS was mixing them up to prevent them being read by the opponent?  My scenario is plausible, and could be from legal observation, game film, and preparation.  Steve Young said a few years ago that once your opponent figures out your defensive signals, the game is over.

Who knows. All the Falcons had to do was manage the game better on offense and they wouldn't have lost. They left points on the field with some stupid coaching decisions. And ultimately that probably would have put the game out of reach regardless of the comeback the Patriots might have mounted. The Patriots had to play a perfect game on offense in the 2nd half to even tie it up for OT. They had just enough possessions to match the Falcons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devaster said:

"Considering the Falcons were torching the Patriots in last year's SB I don't put any weight into the rumors that the Patriots might still be trying to tape or spy, if they ever did. The Falcons lost because of coaching stupidity and excellent execution from the Patriots.  ...The Patriots had to play a perfect game on offense in the 2nd half to even tie it up for OT. "

 

You say that's what happened, but what of the content that's contrary?

 

Quote

"Falcons eased up on the coverage: Atlanta gave Brady so many problems in the first half by playing effective press man-to-man coverage, either with two deep safeties or one lurking in the middle of the field. That forces Brady to hold the ball a beat or two, which makes him uncomfortable and allows the pass rush to get home. In the fourth quarter, perhaps due to fatigue, the Falcons backed off and played more zone, which allowed James White (who totaled 110 yards on his Super Bowl–record 14 receptions) and Danny Amendola (eight catches, 78 yards) to exploit some gaps. “[White] got the ball in a couple of those angle routes in zone coverage and he was able to make some good yardage there,” said Belichick. “Amendola, kind of the same thing. Atlanta switched back and played some zone at the end of the game and James was able to hit that. Danny hit it for the touchdown. Obviously against a lot of man coverage early in the game we didn’t do very well with it. Later on we got more productive, and then when they started mixing in some zone we were able to hit that too.” https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/06/patriots-super-bowl-comeback-drive-highlights-recap

 

Sound familiar? So now there's even Bill Belichick, I mean, you want to tell me why I shouldn't believe him? It's Jacksonville all over again... not greatness, not genius, more like fold the tent, opposition AWOL. The source mentions fatigue, that the Patriots ran 93 plays, which is a lot of plays & likely a SB record. Maybe, but I highly doubt it! Why? Because they don't run 93 plays forced to go downfield & the defense can still play soft in man coverage. 

Edited by markrc99
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Or did the Patriots have a database of Atlanta's signals, and just needed a half to decipher how the Falcon's CS was mixing them up to prevent them being read by the opponent?  My scenario is plausible, and could be from legal observation, game film, and preparation.  Steve Young said a few years ago that once your opponent figures out your defensive signals, the game is over.

All ATL had to do was run the ball and it wouldn't of mattered.    The Pats could of known every play and there still wouldn't of been enough time to make a comeback.  Hell ATL could of taken a knee every play in the 4th quarter and most likely won the game.

Edited by youngrice
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, devaster said:

"The Patriots still had to execute. Falcons coaching decisions is what led to the Patriots having enough possessions to tie it up."

 

If that's goat worthy, greatness, someone accepts an extremely low bar.  From genius & outcome changing halftime adjustments to..... "they still had to execute." ha-ha. The article, Belichick himself makes note of James White & Danny Amendola. These guys are downfield threats for them? They're not. Ninety-three plays, those were uncontested dump offs underneath. You're at a loss as to why others question whether that's an incredible performance?  

 

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

"All ATL had to do was run the ball and it wouldn't of mattered."

 

While many of us agree, how is it that it's so crystal clear for us but completely lost on a coaching staff calling the plays in the SB?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

 

While many of us agree, how is it that it's so crystal clear for us but completely lost on a coaching staff calling the plays in the SB?  

 

Dan Quinn is awful at end of half clock and game management.  It's a recurring weakness that popped up at least two more times in 2017.

 

The reality is very FEW NFL coaches are good at simply doing the math in those situations so he's not alone.  But he sucks at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shake said:

Curious.

 

Why does no one mention the 70s Steelers and the rampant PED use?

Why does no one talk about Jerry Rice admitting to using stickem during his career?

The Broncos in the 90s going over the salary cap leading to deferred payments to Elway and Terrell Davis?

 

No one cares about that right? People gloss over that every day and then get a hard on for the Patriots "infractions".

 

Tons of people have mentioned these.  You mean, why aren’t they mentioned in a thread dedicated to this year’s Super Bowl?  I’d guess because the ‘70s Steelers and Jerry Rice didn’t participate in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Patriots are far from being the only famous cheaters in the history of the NFL.  Both San Francisco and Denver were engaged in salary cap shenanigans during their championship runs.  The league itself even cheated; 2010 was nominally an uncapped year but Dallas and Washington eventually got punished for violating the secret agreement of all teams to honor the salary cap anyway.  But the Patriots are probably considered the worst cheaters because of just how they did it and the fact that they have been so successful for so long.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Patriots are far from being the only famous cheaters in the history of the NFL.  Both San Francisco and Denver were engaged in salary cap shenanigans during their championship runs.  The league itself even cheated; 2010 was nominally an uncapped year but Dallas and Washington eventually got punished for violating the secret agreement of all teams to honor the salary cap anyway.  But the Patriots are probably considered the worst cheaters because of just how they did it and the fact that they have been so successful for so long.

 

Well said. As an official Patriot hater even I have to admit that everyone does it. The Patriots just happen to have a bigger target on their back. If your not cheating your not trying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM, Shake said:

Curious.

 

Why does no one mention the 70s Steelers and the rampant PED use?

Why does no one talk about Jerry Rice admitting to using stickem during his career?

The Broncos in the 90s going over the salary cap leading to deferred payments to Elway and Terrell Davis?

 

No one cares about that right? People gloss over that every day and then get a hard on for the Patriots "infractions".

Quite a silly straw man.

 

No one is arguing those things nor does it have anything to do with this particular case. Filming signals is a serious problem no matter how you look at it.

 

By the way, yourteamcheats.com is my favorite website on the internet. Not because it is accurate but because it is beyond hilarious how obviously a butthurt Patriots fan went to such an extent to try and prove his teams innocents. True dedication if I have ever seen it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 11, 2018 at 7:40 AM, South Carolina said:

 

Well said. As an official Patriot hater even I have to admit that everyone does it. The Patriots just happen to have a bigger target on their back. If your not cheating your not trying.

Every team bends the rules but I don't think every team flat out cheats. First off, I don't consider PED use as 100% a knock against the team even if it is multiple players. It's hard to control that sort of stuff and unless it is year after year or an obvious group thing it is fairly hard to fault the entire team. 

 

It becomes a problem when the staff is obviously breaking the rules. Yes, the Patriots entire cheating thing is overblown. I don't think it's as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. However, at the same time they did cheat. Saying other teams do it is as lame of an excuse as I have ever seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Quite a silly straw man.

 

No one is arguing those things nor does it have anything to do with this particular case. Filming signals is a serious problem no matter how you look at it.

 

By the way, yourteamcheats.com is my favorite website on the internet. Not because it is accurate but because it is beyond hilarious how obviously a butthurt Patriots fan went to such an extent to try and prove his teams innocents. True dedication if I have ever seen it.

 

Call it whatever you want but my point was why does hardly anyone bring that up? Not that it's never been brought up, but when anyone says cheating and football who do they think of? The Patriots. That's all, I was just curious why no one discredits Jerry Rice as the best WR ever but he used an illegal substance that helps him catch the ball during his career. Why hardly anyone discredits rampant PED use for the Steelers...etc. Btw PED use is cheating as a team if the team doctor is the one prescribing the steroids and is later found guilty of that in court. But you can bury your head in the sand in that if you want.

 

The point was everyone associates the Patriots with cheating and who cares about everything else I guess. Just seemed kind of ridiculous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I guess the first video cannot play here because of copyright issues.

 

 

I don't need to watch them to already know the point he makes.

 

"Hey spy gate wasn't that big of a deal the Jets did it against them and deflategate is a joke." However, again, it's still cheating. I supposed never cheated is the wrong title. More accurate would be "Patriots cheating is overblown."

 

Most of the people hating on the Patriots for cheating are just salty. It's that simple. I dislike the Patriots and every time someone says the only reason Patriots won X game is because they cheat I want to punch them in the face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shake said:

 

Call it whatever you want but my point was why does hardly anyone bring that up? Not that it's never been brought up, but when anyone says cheating and football who do they think of? The Patriots. That's all, I was just curious why no one discredits Jerry Rice as the best WR ever but he used an illegal substance that helps him catch the ball during his career. Why hardly anyone discredits rampant PED use for the Steelers...etc. Btw PED use is cheating as a team if the team doctor is the one prescribing the steroids and is later found guilty of that in court. But you can bury your head in the sand in that if you want.

 

The point was everyone associates the Patriots with cheating and who cares about everything else I guess. Just seemed kind of ridiculous.

First off, stickum use was widespread back then. Like mentioned before, it's similar (except not really) to the roid era in the sense that they're still all time greats and it was basically accepted. Also, the funny thing is modern WR gloves are a better version of stickum. Hell, I personally think they should be banned but that is another story. 

 

Again, I don't believe what the Patriots did is that bad and I also believe it is not the worst case of cheating in the NFL and is overblown. My point is, just becausse other teams cheated does not make it ok for the Patriots to cheat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shake said:

 

Why hardly anyone discredits rampant PED use for the Steelers...etc. Btw PED use is cheating as a team if the team doctor is the one prescribing the steroids and is later found guilty of that in court. But you can bury your head in the sand in that if you want.

 

Again, I don’t think anyone is seriously claiming that the Patriots are the only cheaters in NFL history.  People naturally focus more on the Patriots than other cheaters because of their sustained run of recent success, and the fact that the examples you cited happened many years ago, decades ago in fact.

 

Just one point of clarification: your point about the Steelers doctor having been found guilty of distributing PEDs to Steelers players is not accurate.  His indictment made clear that all criminal charges against him relating to HGH/steroids dated back to a time after he was released from the organization.

 

http://roidvisor.com/former-pittsburgh-steelers-team-doctor-trial-prescribing-many-steroids-national-footall-league-trouble/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

First off, stickum use was widespread back then. Like mentioned before, it's similar (except not really) to the roid era in the sense that they're still all time greats and it was basically accepted. Also, the funny thing is modern WR gloves are a better version of stickum. Hell, I personally think they should be banned but that is another story. 

 

Again, I don't believe what the Patriots did is that bad and I also believe it is not the worst case of cheating in the NFL and is overblown. My point is, just becausse other teams cheated does not make it ok for the Patriots to cheat.

 

Did I ever say it was okay to cheat?  If you think that then you need to read what I wrote.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...