NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Again, I don’t think anyone is seriously claiming that the Patriots are the only cheaters in NFL history.  People naturally focus more on the Patriots than other cheaters because of their sustained run of recent success, and the fact that the examples you cited happened many years ago, decades ago in fact.

Just one point of clarification: your point about the Steelers doctor having been found guilty of distributing PEDs to Steelers players is not accurate.  His indictment made clear that all criminal charges against him relating to HGH/steroids dated back to a time after he was released from the organization.

http://roidvisor.com/former-pittsburgh-steelers-team-doctor-trial-prescribing-many-steroids-national-footall-league-trouble/

You're telling me that a doctor that was found guilty of selling PEDs who spent over two decades with the Steelers during which they used PEDs had nothing to do with that?

4 minutes ago, Shake said:

You're telling me that a doctor that was found guilty of selling PEDs who spent over two decades with the Steelers during which they used PEDs had nothing to do with that?

I’m telling you that federal prosecutors, having conducted an investigation, drew up an indictment that did not allege the former team doctor of trafficking in PEDs during the time of his employment with the Steelers.  If you believe they didn’t do a good enough job of collecting evidence, fair enough - but your comment as phrased was inaccurate.

Incidentally, you originally referenced the ‘70s Steelers; Rydze didn’t even begin working for the Steelers until the late ‘80s.

Edited by BMcP
5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’m telling you that federal prosecutors, having conducted an investigation, drew up an indictment that did not allege the former team doctor of trafficking in PEDs during the time of his employment with the Steelers.  If you believe they didn’t do a good enough job of collecting evidence, fair enough - but your comment as phrased was inaccurate.

Well, I guess if you aren't charged with something it clearly means it didn't happen right? 

3 minutes ago, Shake said:

Well, I guess if you aren't charged with something it clearly means it didn't happen right? 

As we both know, it doesn’t.  I’ll try to be clearer here: your suggestion that the conviction of Dr. Rydze for illegally prescribing PEDs is evidence that there was a team-sanctioned cheating scheme in progress is inaccurate and misleading.  Federal prosecutors discovered no evidence that he had done so during his tenure with the team, and the doctor you referenced wasn’t even employed by the team during the 1970s.

21 minutes ago, BMcP said:

As we both know, it doesn’t.  I’ll try to be clearer here: your suggestion that the conviction of Dr. Rydze for illegally prescribing PEDs is evidence that there was a team-sanctioned cheating scheme in progress is inaccurate and misleading.  Federal prosecutors discovered no evidence that he had done so during his tenure with the team, and the doctor you referenced wasn’t even employed by the team during the 1970s.

Yeah, you're right I got the decade wrong on the doctor that prescribed the steroids so that's my fault, however there's no doubt in my mind he prescribed them during his tenure. I seriously doubt he just started right after he was let go in 2007.

With that said just because he wasn't a team doctor during the 70s doesn't mean the Steelers weren't using steroids, it's been widely reported and speculated forever and the league didn't start testing until the late 80s.

33 minutes ago, Shake said:

There is also no evidence that it did happen. Right now it is an assumption of yours extrapolated off of other charges and investigations. Innocent until proven guilty?

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

There is also no evidence that it did happen. Right now it is an assumption of yours extrapolated off of other charges and investigations. Innocent until proven guilty?

America: Innocent until proven guilty. Unless it doesn't fit my agenda. Then f--- facts.

19 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm not saying he's undoubtedly guilty of it legally because yeah there were no charges however I find it seriously unlikely the guy wasn't involved with PEDs after 2005. Coincidentally, after he was no longer employed by the Steelers he just happened to start a PED ring and he never had anything to do with that before?

16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

America: Innocent until proven guilty. Unless it doesn't fit my agenda. Then f--- facts.

America: we'll put words in your mouth to fit our agenda.

Edited by Shake
1 hour ago, Shake said:

Did I ever say it was okay to cheat?  If you think that then you need to read what I wrote.

You said why mention the Patriots but not others. My point was that has nothing to do with the Patriots and just because others did shady business doesn't excuse the Patriots from doing he same. Thus, I don't see how anything else applies here. 

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

You said why mention the Patriots but not others. My point was that has nothing to do with the Patriots and just because others did shady business doesn't excuse the Patriots from doing he same. Thus, I don't see how anything else applies here. 

I never excused anyone of anything. 

So I don't see how that applies here.

Edited by Shake
12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Haven't several members of the 70s Steelers admitted publicly that they were 'roided up to the gills during their championship seasons?

Bradshaw admitted it on the Dan Patrick radio show.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Terry-Bradshaw-was-all-roided-up?urn=nfl,89945

Although he said it was to speed up the healing process not to get bigger or faster. Whether that was the intention or not I question but regardless it's still using steroids.

I think much of the reason the Patriots’ cheating receives more attention than the other situations you mentioned (Steelers, Rice) is that, unlike Spygate, there is no evidence that those were a systematic, coordinated cheating scheme, involving the HC, assistant coaches, players and franchise employees.  The scope and magnitude of the cheating is distinguishable on its face from examples of individual players choosing to use PEDs or other banned substances.

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I think much of the reason the Patriots’ cheating receives more attention than the other situations you mentioned (Steelers, Rice) is that, unlike Spygate, there is no evidence that those were a systematic, coordinated cheating scheme, involving the HC, assistant coaches, players and franchise employees.  The scope and magnitude of the cheating is distinguishable on its face from examples of individual players choosing to use PEDs or other banned substances.

Pretty much this. If you have a few bad apples you just deal with it. If you have a bad tree you cut that s--- down.

From September 2015 but news to me is ...headset gate! e; If they can't have your signals, .... then you don't get to talk! e;

"The term “Headsetgate” has just been coined and may not last, but the allegations that the Patriots tamper with visiting teams’ communications at Gillette Stadium are nothing new. With the Steelers suggesting that something was afoul on Thursday night in New England, there are now at least five teams that have accused the Patriots of tampering with communications..." http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/11/at-least-five-teams-have-suspected-patriots-of-headset-tampering/

From small beginnings do all great things come. e;

;09000d5d82651450_video_cp.jpg