NBC Sports Edge Forums

David Price 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just trade my 8th & 9th rounders for 3rd & 4th rounders before a game is even played?   Why didn't I think of that?

A trade master in a league filled with morons who would trade away deGrom and Seager is not a real trade master.

You need to find new leagues.   

Posted Images

Cora just announced Price has been scratched tomorrow with recurring numbness in entire hand. Sent back to Boston for tests. 

Edited by chud12

You almost have to respect that he's not even trying to hide the fact that he's petrified to face the Yankees anymore. 

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Arrgh. I wonder if there’s some legit structural or nerve damage? 

His season could be in jeopardy. 

Surprise!  He is pitching against the Yankees and at Yankee Stadium, and his numbness is back.  

Just now, BigPapi44 said:

Surprise!  He is pitching against the Yankees and at Yankee Stadium, and his numbness is back.  

I don’t know. Some people are saying the numbness could be a precursor to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. 

Which would certainly be a career killer. 

Just now, Gandalfthecat said:

I don’t know. Some people are saying the numbness could be a precursor to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. 

Thats just because it happened to David Cone, don’t jump off the ledge just yet as the Yanks destroy Price anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

This would be evident in an MRI.  I would have thought it would have been investigated after his last bout of numbness appeared during his last obliteration by the Yanks.  Sounds more psychosomatic in nature.  

Well surprise, surprise ... not:

David Price has been scratched from his scheduled start Wednesday versus the Yankees due to numbness in his left hand.

Price experienced the same sort of numbing sensation in his hand last month. And while he didn't wind up missing a turn in the rotation, the 32-year-old southpaw has posted an 8.47 ERA over his last three starts. Rick Porcello will pitch in Price's place Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. Price is headed for tests.

Related: Rick Porcello          Source: Evan Drellich on Twitter      May 8 - 5:09 PM

Yankees plus Price's Head = Numbnes all the time.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

This would be evident in an MRI.  I would have thought it would have been investigated after his last bout of numbness appeared during his last obliteration by the Yanks.  Sounds more psychosomatic in nature.  

Actually, thoracic outlet syndrome can't be detected via MRI. It's one of those conditions that doesn't have a truly specific diagnostic test. It's often a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning once they've ruled out everything else (herniated disc in neck, carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, etc.) they can narrow in on TOS. There are some physical exam maneuvers that, combined with the history, signs, and symptoms, can lead to the diagnosis of TOS. Numbness in Price's hand basically doesn't tell a whole lot because it can still be a number of different things, but TOS could still be a possibility. Any number of events could still be possible (e.g. he misses just 1 start to missing the whole year) so I'm stocking up on shares of Beeks just in case.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Actually, thoracic outlet syndrome can't be detected via MRI. It's one of those conditions that doesn't have a truly specific diagnostic test. It's often a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning once they've ruled out everything else (herniated disc in neck, carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, etc.) they can narrow in on TOS. There are some physical exam maneuvers that, combined with the history, signs, and symptoms, can lead to the diagnosis of TOS. Numbness in Price's hand basically doesn't tell a whole lot because it can still be a number of different things, but TOS could still be a possibility. Any number of events could still be possible (e.g. he misses just 1 start to missing the whole year) so I'm stocking up on shares of Beeks just in case.

I defer to the experts.  I thought the nerve issue would appear on the MRI though, ie. disc impingement on the nerve root, which may explain the numbness.

On 4/11/2018 at 8:57 PM, Cmilne23 said:

This guy has never seen a big start he wanted to partake in.  He’ll happily get up for pitching in front of 11 people in Tampa though.  

Bump.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, rrrrich46 said:

All the talent in the world. But just aint right. 

Fixing this:  All the talent in the world. But just ain't right ... in the head. 

Look he may have some numbness but Pomeranz had his fingernail torn and bloody tonight -- it was gross to look at on TV too -- and still kept on pitching through it.  Price has zero heart and grit.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
15 hours ago, whyamiajetfan said:

at this point do you just drop him? ... problem is though im in a 14 team league with barely any options on the waiver wire

It feels too early to drop him but then you look at his numbers after his first two starts and the idea doesn't seem so crazy:

5 starts

23 IP

8.22 ERA (21 ER)

1.83 WHIP (13 BB; 29 hits)

22 K

1-4 record

18 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Haha imagine if he's magically healed after the Yankee series and pitches the first game after it. 

Cora stated after the game last night that he expects Price to rejoin the team after the New York series.... Put on your tin foil hats my friends, we got a conspiracy theory going on here.... Fake moon landings, Roswell and ufos,  and David Price having a fake injury just to avoid an opponent that owns him...