NBC Sports Edge Forums

Blake Snell 2018 Outlook

Flyman75

4 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Yep, gotta roll him out vs CHW or he's just plugging up a roster spot.  If he cant find the zone again I'm fine to go on and cut him as it'll likely be yet another year of him yo-yo-ing on and off the wire.  I really hope he gets back on track,  thought this was the year for him.

Man, you are willing to assume he won't improve based on the first 15 innings of a season? He pitched well in his first start. Versus the Yankess he was in Yankee stadium with the wind blowing out with temps in the 30s I believe. That isn't exactly ideal pitching conditions. I would put some context behind the starts so far and extend that leash just a tad. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Man, you are willing to assume he won't improve based on the first 15 innings of a season? He pitched well in his first start. Versus the Yankess he was in Yankee stadium with the wind blowing out with temps in the 30s I believe. That isn't exactly ideal pitching conditions. I would put some context behind the starts so far and extend that leash just a tad. 

That's a fair point.  Context/format matters.  I've got him in a shallow 10 teamer as the last SP in an otherwise stacked rotation so it's a little different for me.  I still believe in Snell, it's just that he has a bit of a history not being able to find the zone and getting rattled when he gets touched.  Hope he gets back on track this week and can produce like an SP3.

4 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

He's faced 14 batters and gone to a full count with 8 of them so far. Stay efficient, Blake.

That last inning was rough... he got ahead on Abreu 0-2, got ahead on Davidson 1-2 and ahead of Castillo 0-2 and then ran the counts full on all three of them.

I thought they should have taken him out after he gave up the walk with 1 out in the 6th. He was laboring the inning before and looked like he was getting gassed. He then went on to walk the pinch hitter but was able to get out of the inning. Things could have gotten bad in this game with 5 walks given up but you gotta admit he showed some poise and promise today. If he could just get out of those 0-2 and 1-2 counts rather than running them full like he did 3 or 4 times today this start could have looked a lot better. Not that it was bad but walking 5 batters could have lead to a very ugly start. 

believe tomorrow is a bullpen day, from what i've read so far...with snell going monday (and 2 start week next week)...unofficially as of now, though

edit (b/c i just saw this)--- Marc TopkinVerified account @TBTimes_Rays 1h1 hour ago

#Rays will start LHP Yarbrough on Sunday vs #Phillies

so it looks like snell on monday and hopefully (for me at least) chirinos on tuesday

13 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

believe tomorrow is a bullpen day, from what i've read so far...with snell going monday (and 2 start week next week)...unofficially as of now, though

edit (b/c i just saw this)--- Marc TopkinVerified account @TBTimes_Rays 1h1 hour ago

#Rays will start LHP Yarbrough on Sunday vs #Phillies

so it looks like snell on monday and hopefully (for me at least) chirinos on tuesday

This sucks for weekly leagues.  He was supposed to have a 2-start week this week.  Now it looks like we have to decide whether to start him next week wondering if it will actually be a 2 start week...

Archived