NBC Sports Edge Forums

McCullers or Pomeranz

Hi Guys,

I have a chance to pick either of these two pitchers for my #4 pitcher, who should I go with? Both of injury concerns and McCullers more so than Pomeranz; but McCullers is younger and seem to have a better upside and is in a better division where ballparks are more pitcher friendly compare to AL East.

What are your thoughts?

Thx!

AF

Safe play is Pomeranz, he has been pretty consistent last two years and he has been out there making 30+ starts a year, McCullers has struggled, with health, consistency, etc. 

It kind of depends who 1-2 and 3 are.  If you need safer and just dont completely implode make your 30 starts and contribute, the play is probably Pomeranz, if looking for the upside play because you need your No.4 to rise up and pitch like a No.2?  Play is probably McCullers...

That's what I thought in terms of safe play to be Pomeranz; and a gamble on McCullers would be for the better upside. I have Sale, Severino, and Thor as my top 3 and the other SP's that I also have on my team are Maeda and Straily which are just not appealing; I do have Gohara, Castillo, and Weaver on my MiLB Roster, which can potentially become very useful peaces for my SP rotation in this dynasty league that I am in.

Thx guys for your suggestions and point of view! This forum is just so helpful! I've been using rotoworld for players news updates for years and never knew there was a forum available!!!!!

If McCullers can find his changeup again and not have to throw his curveball 40+% of the time, then I could maybe get on board. The problem is that McCullers's fastball is almost as bad as his curveball is good, and throwing his curveball half the time (or almost all the time, as he did in the playoffs) seems to increase his chances of injury.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:58 AM, schulni said:

If McCullers can find his changeup again and not have to throw his curveball 40+% of the time, then I could maybe get on board. The problem is that McCullers's fastball is almost as bad as his curveball is good, and throwing his curveball half the time (or almost all the time, as he did in the playoffs) seems to increase his chances of injury.

Not saying you are wrong Schulni and I am not an expert in medical field; so correct me if I am wrong. Here are a list of his injuries the past two years; only injury that I can see related to his usage in curve ball is the elbow discomfort.

To me, it's more like the guy's conditioning? Don't know, just my thought.

DATE DESCRIPTION STATUS
07/31/2017 Lower Back Discomfort 10-Day Disabled List
06/09/2017 Lower Back Discomfort 10-Day Disabled List
08/03/2016 Right Elbow Discomfort 15-Day Disabled List
03/25/2016 Sore Right Shoulder 15-Day Disabled List
03/16/2016 Sore Right Shoulder Day-To-Day