NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Derrick Henry had 2 runs and a screen pass go for over 50 and a TD last year as a backup RB.

I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'

That's a good point.  The one about Howard too.

I think the type of back most likely to break runs like that are those that'll be in on 3rd and short.  Plays where the defense is playing aggressively downhill create the opportunity for the back to break through one hole and get behind the entire team.  That's going to be the most likely scenario for a back going 50+ yards, as opposed to plays where DBs are more likely to be back in coverage at the snap.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took him with the second pick in the 5th round in a 12-team standard league this weekend which I thought was great value. Even with the Dolphins' befuddling coaching decisions, it's hard to see a scenario that this guy doesn't get 15 touches a game.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article217068525.html

The Dolphins may start Frank Gore at running back and give Drake a lot of carries as the backup. Or vice versa. The point is both will play a lot and factor. If there’s a battle for the third running back job, it depends on how quickly Kalen Ballage returns from a concussion. If Ballage is out then either Senorise Perry and Buddy Howell will be the choice.

20 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

If Frank Gore starts, I may fly down to Florida and slap Gase right in his face. There is no excuse for a decision that bad. You're going to bench you're young explosive, all around back for a 35 year old plodder who has very little left. It's completely incomprehensible. 

20 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

If Frank Gore starts, I may fly down to Florida and slap Gase right in his face. There is no excuse for a decision that bad. You're going to bench you're young explosive, all around back for a 35 year old plodder who has very little left. It's completely incomprehensible. 

The challenge for us is to decipher if this is all coachspeak or if it's real.

Gase is not necessarily a RBBC proponent.  Look at Ajayi's carries in the beginning of last year...clear bellcow usage.  Many games over 20+ carries.  So I don't know if Gase has an ingrained philosophy of going RBBC.  It's odd that they went RBBC after (until Williams went down)...it may be because he doesn't think Drake can hold up?

The other possibility is that this is coachspeak.  They signed Gore to be a locker room leader and "change the culture".  In order to be a locker room leader, you have to be more than a backup to get that respect.  But when the games start, he may be only a change of pace guy.  Our problem is that we don't really know.

I would draft Drake as a low end RB2 with upside.  Even if he splits, Drake could end up getting over 1000 total yards anyway, which is not bad there.

Ok guys, no more Drake talk/hype.  I want to get this guy cheap in auction (<$20).  Please also don't watch highlights of him or you might like him.

Gore Gore Gore! 35 year old Gore who has been at 3.9 ypc or less in his last 3 years.  He's the guy!

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Isn’t this simply the writer Armando Salguero’s take on the situation? There’s no quote from Gase in that article regarding Drake/Gore, unless I’m missing something. And all Salguero is saying is what we already know, both Drake and Gore will be used. Not much of a revelation there. 

As a Drake owner I honestly couldn’t care less who’s listed as the almighty “starter”. In fact, I think it would be pretty cool if Drake insisted that Gore be named the starter and get the first carry out of respect, then Drake proceeds to remind everyone what a young, explosive, elusive, multi-faceted RB looks like leaving zero doubt in anyone’s mind whose backfield this really is, regardless of the old mans “starter” designation. I think it will be very obvious very quickly that Drake is the clear centerpiece of the offense. 

Everyone saw what Drake is capable of last year, there’s no putting that genie back in the bottle.

37 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Ok guys, no more Drake talk/hype.  I want to get this guy cheap in auction (<$20).  Please also don't watch highlights of him or you might like him.

Gore Gore Gore! 35 year old Gore who has been at 3.9 ypc or less in his last 3 years.  He's the guy!

Thanks in advance.

47 minutes ago, K_Rich said:

Im not worried about Frank. By week 4 he will be phased out of the offense and Drake will have the backfield all to himself :)

Have we heard any news about how Drake will be the three down bell cow? No

Have we heard multiple reports about how Gore will be an important part of the offense, even splitting workload? Yes

I know that you guys like Drake, but the reality of the situation, is while Gore may be 35 years old, he has played in 16 games for 6 straight seasons. He obviously has the respect of the coaching staff and instead of getting 260+ carries, a somewhat reduced role may be what he needs at this point in his career. No matter how you spin it, this is great for Gore and the coaching staff, not great for Drake and fantasy purposes.

Remember when Lamar Miller was in Miami and "split" carries with Daniel Thomas, Moreno, Williams (over 100 carries for them)?

Around 200 carries, over 1,000 yards rushing, 8 TDs and 38 receptions for 200+ yards.

No reason Drake can't be that back.

30 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Have we heard any news about how Drake will be the three down bell cow? No

Have we heard multiple reports about how Gore will be an important part of the offense, even splitting workload? Yes

I know that you guys like Drake, but the reality of the situation, is while Gore may be 35 years old, he has played in 16 games for 6 straight seasons. He obviously has the respect of the coaching staff and instead of getting 260+ carries, a somewhat reduced role may be what he needs at this point in his career. No matter how you spin it, this is great for Gore and the coaching staff, not great for Drake and fantasy purposes.

Does Drake need to be a three down bell-cow to be an awesome fantasy asset with RB1 potential? No. Just ask Alvin Kamara, who shares the backfield with a far superior RB than Frank Gore. 

Miami brought Gore in to fill a role. Be a locker room leader, be a fan favorite, be competent enough to not kill drives when Drake needs a breather. 

46 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

That was one of my favorite plays from last season, and it's that ability that he showed on numerous runs last year that makes me like him so much.  Put this kid in a better situation and you're talking RB1.  Unfortunately the Miami coaching staff doesn't have a clue so that is very unlikely to happen.  Would love to have him as my RB3 though.  

20 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Does Drake need to be a three down bell-cow to be an awesome fantasy asset with RB1 potential? No. Just ask Alvin Kamara, who shares the backfield with a far superior RB than Frank Gore. 

Miami brought Gore in to fill a role. Be a locker room leader, be a fan favorite, be competent enough to not kill drives when Drake needs a breather. 

I hear Kamara's name being thrown out in so many scenarios for so many running backs. Kamara is the exception and not the rule. The Dolphins don't have the personnel on offense like the Saints do. The Dolphins don't have the Quarterback nor the coach that the Saints do. You cannot compare these two.

Yes, Drake was the third most elusive back in the league last season and he is a solid player that should produce. However, for where he is being drafted, I'm not sure that he could provide the return on investment as a top 20 RB.

Archived