NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

those Bolden carries were so triggering because they totally used Drake as a decoy in both putting him in motion which distracted the Pats D.  Gore and Bolden had giant holes and was gashing the NE was excited to see Drake get some work.

Ryan T also unloaded a TD on his first pass on two quick Red Zone trips with Drake in the backfield both times, was a very frustrating afternoon.  This dude coulda easily had 2 TDs over the course of the game if they just hand it to him. Even in Peter King's article Gase tells Drake when he arrived in Miami that he was 'drafted to beat the Patriots' and he gashes them when used yet yesterday he had like 6 touches all game.  Call some screen passes wtf

So torn what to do next week, Drake seems magical right now and the way to beat Minny is quick throws to the flat.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

those Bolden carries were so triggering because they totally used Drake as a decoy in both putting him in motion which distracted the Pats D.  Gore and Bolden had giant holes and was gashing the NE was excited to see Drake get some work.

Ryan T also unloaded a TD on his first pass on two quick Red Zone trips with Drake in the backfield both times, was a very frustrating afternoon.  This dude coulda easily had 2 TDs over the course of the game if they just hand it to him. Even in Peter King's article Gase tells Drake when he arrived in Miami that he was 'drafted to beat the Patriots' and he gashes them when used yet yesterday he had like 6 touches all game.  Call some screen passes wtf

So torn what to do next week, Drake seems magical right now and the way to beat Minny is quick throws to the flat.  

Do you think Gase is that smart to utilize Drake that way? Come on now. 

Sincerely,

Fellow Drake Owner 

1 minute ago, oresteszero said:

Do you think Gase is that smart to utilize Drake that way? Come on now. 

Sincerely,

Fellow Drake Owner 

If Drake is on our benches then he will get utilized like we have dreamed about all season.

The one time I benched him he caught like 7 passes for 70 yards and had like 10 carries lol.   

RyanT on a gimpy ankle vs Minny pass rush they NEED Drake this week, cmon Gase!

15 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

If Drake is on our benches then he will get utilized like we have dreamed about all season.

The one time I benched him he caught like 7 passes for 70 yards and had like 10 carries lol.   

RyanT on a gimpy ankle vs Minny pass rush they NEED Drake this week, cmon Gase!

But... it's Gase...

"Gase tells Drake when he arrived in Miami that he was 'drafted to beat the Patriots"

aka

"we drafted you to beat the Patriots - so we only gave you 4 touches and saved you for a last lateral trick play to win the game" 

- Adam "The Genius" Gase 

I don’t really understand why people hate Gase so much and think he’s a horrible coach. It kind of takes me back a few years to when people were saying the same about Andy Reid, which was always total nonsense.

The Dolphins were expected to be one of the worst teams in the NFL this season, but here they are in great position to make the playoffs for the second time in three seasons when they had previously only made the playoffs once since 2001! All of this with one of the worst starting QBs in the league and an overall roster completely devoid of talent.

At some point you have to ask yourself if maybe what you think about Gase and the players on the team is wrong instead of just mindlessly repeating the same thing over and over and over again.

2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I don’t really understand why people hate Gase so much and think he’s a horrible coach. It kind of takes me back a few years to when people were saying the same about Andy Reid, which was always total nonsense.

The Dolphins were expected to be one of the worst teams in the NFL this season, but here they are in great position to make the playoffs for the second time in three seasons when they had previously only made the playoffs once since 2001! All of this with one of the worst starting QBs in the league and an overall roster completely devoid of talent.

At some point you have to ask yourself if maybe what you think about Gase and the players on the team is wrong instead of just mindlessly repeating the same thing over and over and over again.

You obviously don't watch Dolphins games.  I have had the pleasure of watching every single one this year thanks to being in Florida.  

Gase is an idiot and has gotten lucky basically.  While he has done wonders with this talentless team that should have maybe 3 wins, he has also not done himself any favors in terms of making these games super tight and close bc of his refusal to give one of his best players a reasonable amount of weekly touches.

Its insane Drake doesn't get 15 touches a game when time in and time out the dude showcases his electricity. ( he leads the Dolphins in TDs yet barely gets 8 touches a game ) 

37 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

You obviously don't watch Dolphins games.  I have had the pleasure of watching every single one this year thanks to being in Florida.  

Gase is an idiot and has gotten lucky basically.  While he has done wonders with this talentless team that should have maybe 3 wins, he has also not done himself any favors in terms of making these games super tight and close bc of his refusal to give one of his best players a reasonable amount of weekly touches.

Its insane Drake doesn't get 15 touches a game when time in and time out the dude showcases his electricity. ( he leads the Dolphins in TDs yet barely gets 8 touches a game ) 

Drake is great with the ball in space and has performed admirably in his role this season, but he’s still not a better between the tackles runner than Gore, who has also performed very well in his role. Maybe that’s just what is best for the team?

If Drake is given 15 touches a game, he’s only going to have an opportunity to do what he does best (handle the ball in space) two or three times, which is pretty close to the opportunity he is being schemed into currently. NFL defenses are too strong for Drake’s limited touch efficiency to translate over a large workload. Meanwhile, all those extra touches will just siphon carries away from the guy who is superior at the task you’d be forcing Drake into (general standard running plays).

Has anyone in this thread considered that maybe Drake is performing well because of his role and not in spite of it? Sometimes guys kind of just are what they are. Just because Drake is great at what he is currently doing does not mean that he would be great in a role that handles more responsibility. This isn’t a hot take either. Norv Turner was an excellent OC but a horrible head coach, Darren Sproles was great in his role but not at anything more, Devin Hester was a great returner but bad receiver. It goes on and on with guys who are great at what they do but terrible at one level up, the list is endless.

Just performing well in your role is not good enough to earn a promotion (at least with competent managers), you have to demonstrate the requisite skills to succeed in the position with increased responsibility, which Drake has not done. He’s not running better between the tackles than old man Gore, so why do people get mad over him not earning those touches when he is clearly not the man suited for the job?

Touches in space don’t come by easily in the NFL (which is what Drake is best at). If Gase is getting him a few opportunities in space to make a play per game, which he is, that’s doing a pretty good job. Instead of trying to fit a squre peg in a round hole the rest of the time, why not just continue with what works?

5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Drake is great with the ball in space and has performed admirably in his role this season, but he’s still not a better between the tackles runner than Gore, who has also performed very well in his role. Maybe that’s just what is best for the team?

If Drake is given 15 touches a game, he’s only going to have an opportunity to do what he does best (handle the ball in space) two or three times, which is pretty close to the opportunity he is being schemed into currently. NFL defenses are too strong for Drake’s limited touch efficiency to translate over a large workload. Meanwhile, all those extra touches will just siphon carries away from the guy who is superior at the task you’d be forcing Drake into (general standard running plays).

Has anyone in this thread considered that maybe Drake is performing well because of his role and not in spite of it? Sometimes guys kind of just are what they are. Just because Drake is great at what he is currently doing does not mean that he would be great in a role that handles more responsibility. This isn’t a hot take either. Norv Turner was an excellent OC but a horrible head coach, Darren Sproles was great in his role but not at anything more, Devin Hester was a great returner but bad receiver. It goes on and on with guys who are great at what they do but terrible at one level up, the list is endless.

Just performing well in your role is not good enough to earn a promotion (at least with competent managers), you have to demonstrate the requisite skills to succeed in the position with increased responsibility, which Drake has not done. He’s not running better between the tackles than old man Gore, so why do people get mad over him not earning those touches when he is clearly not the man suited for the job?

I never said he should be run between the tackles more than Gore each game I simply said he should get a consistent amount of weekly touches ( carries and passes ) because he is by far the Dolphin's best runner in space.  He is the Alvin Kamara of the Dolphins if you will and its laughable they don't give him at least 6-7 carries a game to see if one will break to a long TD.  This offense has no life at times during a game, it's dreadful.  ( source: Me because I have to sit through the Dolphins games on Sunday lol ) 

19 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

I never said he should be run between the tackles more than Gore each game I simply said he should get a consistent amount of weekly touches ( carries and passes ) because he is by far the Dolphin's best runner in space.  He is the Alvin Kamara of the Dolphins if you will and its laughable they don't give him at least 6-7 carries a game to see if one will break to a long TD.  This offense has no life at times during a game, it's dreadful.  ( source: Me because I have to sit through the Dolphins games on Sunday lol ) 

He’s averaging over 10 touches a game, which is pretty comparable to Tarik Cohen (who has far outproduced Drake). 

Anything more than 10 touches or so and you’re gonna have to start handing off the ball and having them run up the gut. Drake’s best skill (ball in space) isn’t really all that valuable because of the difficulty in creating that situation. NFL defenses are too good to just let a guy be in space all the time. Even a guy like Saquon only gets free in space once or twice a game. If you starting feeding Drake a bunch of touches you are just gonna be wasting carries on a job that Gore is better suited to.

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

He’s averaging over 10 touches a game, which is pretty comparable to Tarik Cohen (who has far outproduced Drake). 

Anything more than 10 touches or so and you’re gonna have to start handing off the ball and having them run up the gut. Drake’s best skill (ball in space) isn’t really all that valuable because of the difficulty in creating that situation. NFL defenses are too good to just let a guy be in space all the time. Even a guy like Saquon only gets free in space once or twice a game. If you starting feeding Drake a bunch of touches you are just gonna be wasting carries on a job that Gore is better suited to.

You are making my point for me dude.  An average of 10 ish touches is still way too low and there is 0 reason they cant call a few dedicated sweeps or outside runs a game specific for Drake to try to get him going on the outside.  His average should be well over 10 touches because he is that dynamic, I again am forced to watch the DoLOLphins all season and their offense is terrible.  A 6 yard pass to Danny Amendola is basically a wasted play and they feature that typically down 2 scores, its dreadful.  6-7 carries a game 4-6 targets a game at a 'minimum', god forbid he is rolling one game and you actually feed the beast.  

11 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

You are making my point for me dude.  An average of 10 ish touches is still way too low and there is 0 reason they cant call a few dedicated sweeps or outside runs a game specific for Drake to try to get him going on the outside.  His average should be well over 10 touches because he is that dynamic, I again am forced to watch the DoLOLphins all season and their offense is terrible.  A 6 yard pass to Danny Amendola is basically a wasted play and they feature that typically down 2 scores, its dreadful.  6-7 carries a game 4-6 targets a game at a 'minimum', god forbid he is rolling one game and you actually feed the beast.  

No, what I’m saying is that Drake is performing very well in his current role. If you expand his role you are going to have to start having him do things that he is not so good at and he is going to start infringing on roles that other guys are better at than him (like Gore and running the ball). 

Drake is a guy you manufacture touches for. If you want a guy to consistently feed all game, he’s not the one (evidenced by Gore being better than him this year running the ball).

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

No, what I’m saying is that Drake is performing very well in his current role. If you expand his role you are going to have to start having him do things that he is not so good at and he is going to start infringing on roles that other guys are better at than him (like Gore and running the ball). 

Drake is a guy you manufacture touches for. If you want a guy to consistently feed all game, he’s not the one (evidenced by Gore being better than him this year running the ball).

Drake hasn't really been given the opportunity to run the ball this year though so its hard to say definitively Gore has been better if given same chances.  I understand the logic and read the articles, Gore has actually been fantastic getting positive yardage nearly all the time.  I just don't buy that Drake 'can't run the ball'.  Find him opportunities for it even if it means taking away from Gore because for how great Gore has been this year, he has 0 TDs.  Drake has found the end zone 9 times.  Gotta let the guy have some chances each game, never know when Miami miracles could happen and the DoLOLphins have been behind in a lot of games this year.  Again, I have suffered through now 14 weeks of the DoLOLphins being my CBS game each week so I am a near expert on their trends this year. 

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

Gase ran out of starting RBs to block Drake with last year after Damien Williams got hurt.

Drake started those 5 games in the 2nd half of the season and led the NFL in rushing during that stretch.

My brother just ran into Gases brother (or cousin?) at a Bdubs in Michigan yesterday

When I asked my bro how he knew this he said the guy was cheering loudly for the Dolphins and it came up somehow. 

I told my brother to tell the guy to tell Gase he needs to get Drake more than 10 touches a game

To the poster above referencing Andy Reid, yes, Reid did deserve the same treatment as Gase is getting. This situation reeks of the Thomas Jones / Jamaal Charles days. 

Can Drake hold up as a 20 touch guy?  He seemed fine doing it last season. 

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

I saw the same exact thing in the Kamara thread, thats a load of BS. Same with cohen, just keep feeding the kid

5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I saw the same exact thing in the Kamara thread, thats a load of BS. Same with cohen, just keep feeding the kid

Except the difference is those guys were outproducing the guy above them on the depth chart. Drake is objectively running worse than Gore. He’s receiving better, but he is not running better by any metric.  And that’s with getting the ball in the CoP role, which typically produces easier rushing opportunities.

11 minutes ago, billydough said:

To the poster above referencing Andy Reid, yes, Reid did deserve the same treatment as Gase is getting. This situation reeks of the Thomas Jones / Jamaal Charles days. 

That was Todd Haley, and that was the gold standard of awful coaching. This situation isn't even close because as has been noted, Gore is capable of positive yards (and actually good, although I don't really wanna mention that here.)

3 minutes ago, Mr White said:

That was Todd Haley, and that was the gold standard of awful coaching. This situation isn't even close because as has been noted, Gore is capable of positive yards (and actually good, although I don't really wanna mention that here.)

Gore has been fantastic however the Dolphins find themselves losing rather often.  Gore has 0 TDs on the year so you figure Drake would get some carries while they trail because of big play potential.

17 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Gore has been fantastic however the Dolphins find themselves losing rather often.  Gore has 0 TDs on the year so you figure Drake would get some carries while they trail because of big play potential.

I certainly don't like the current usage. Drake would do the job well and he'd bring an explosiveness to the table that's been well documented here. I thought he would when I drafted him. It's just not nearly as black and white as Jones/Charles. 

2 hours ago, Mr White said:

I certainly don't like the current usage. Drake would do the job well and he'd bring an explosiveness to the table that's been well documented here. I thought he would when I drafted him. It's just not nearly as black and white as Jones/Charles. 

Its close.  For example Sunday vs the Pats - Drake had 0 1st quarter touches.  How do you not give the man 1 carry a quarter at least lol

3 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Except the difference is those guys were outproducing the guy above them on the depth chart. Drake is objectively running worse than Gore. He’s receiving better, but he is not running better by any metric.  And that’s with getting the ball in the CoP role, which typically produces easier rushing opportunities.

True, but same could be said of finding his rhythm and giving him confidence. How can he ever be a better runner without running the freaking ball. So I think it really goes both ways.

Dude is RB14. A high end RB2. 

He has had 1 game this season with more than 100 total yards. But the dude scores more often than not. 

His preaseason PPR ranking was RB17. Yet, despite being RB14, he seems like a disappointment. 

Interesting player. 

22 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Dude is RB14. A high end RB2. 

He has had 1 game this season with more than 100 total yards. But the dude scores more often than not. 

His preaseason PPR ranking was RB17. Yet, despite being RB14, he seems like a disappointment. 

Interesting player. 

Would you feel comfortable starting him as your RB2 this weekend is the real question? .. The guy has elite talent, but an unpredictable workload. Either way he’s going to send people a lot of people to their fantasy championship this Sunday or be on their DND list for next year 

Archived