NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

28 minutes ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

Would you feel comfortable starting him as your RB2 this weekend is the real question? .. The guy has elite talent, but an unpredictable workload. Either way he’s going to send people a lot of people to their fantasy championship this Sunday or be on their DND list for next year 

I'm not really ever comfortable with him, but I've basically started him every week and will be doing the same for the semifinal. Somehow, some way, he's been able to come thru these last few weeks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drake was limited at practice last week as well, but did not carry an injury designation into the Dolphins' Week 14 contest against the Patriots. The running back ended up logging 24 of a possible 48 snaps in the game, en route to carrying six times for 24 yards. Of course, Drake's fantasy line was saved by a wild TD -- credited as a 55-yard catch -- that involved a pair of laterals on the final play of the day.

Some of you may or may not recall but I’ve been beating the Drake drum for a few years now and loaded up on so many shares when he had a 4th/5th round ADP early to mid August. While early in the season those couple of duds were disappointing he’s been about as good as you can ask considering he’s seeing barely 13 touches a game. I hate Adam Gase more then I hate any coach in NFL history. It’s so painstakingly clear and obvious that he is their best player and good things happen when he touches the ball. Despite the infuriating usage somehow he’s still the RB14 in full PPR. That’s despite having more then 10 carries only 4x this season (pretty darn impressive). Hes also only eclipsed 5 catches twice. Low and behold he’s averaging 20+ PPR points when he’s seeing over 13 touches a game. Unfortunately I dont see Gase leaving since the team is possibly a wild card team and Frank Gore seems interested in breaking all sorts of records so sadly he’s not getting an increase in work anytime soon. If this guy was given just 5 touches a game i have little doubt he’d be a top 5 RB.

34 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Some of you may or may not recall but I’ve been beating the Drake drum for a few years now and loaded up on so many shares when he had a 4th/5th round ADP early to mid August. While early in the season those couple of duds were disappointing he’s been about as good as you can ask considering he’s seeing barely 13 touches a game. I hate Adam Gase more then I hate any coach in NFL history. It’s so painstakingly clear and obvious that he is their best player and good things happen when he touches the ball. Despite the infuriating usage somehow he’s still the RB14 in full PPR. That’s despite having more then 10 carries only 4x this season (pretty darn impressive). Hes also only eclipsed 5 catches twice. Low and behold he’s averaging 20+ PPR points when he’s seeing over 13 touches a game. Unfortunately I dont see Gase leaving since the team is possibly a wild card team and Frank Gore seems interested in breaking all sorts of records so sadly he’s not getting an increase in work anytime soon. If this guy was given just 5 touches a game i have little doubt he’d be a top 5 RB.

How is Drake their best player if he isn’t even outproducing Gore on the ground? Do you expect his ypc to increase with more touches? If so, why? Most people are of the belief that ypc decreases with increased workload and that CoP backs, which Drake has essentially been, get easier rushing opportunities.

I guess you could argue they should throw it to him more, but his catch % is 87/100 RBs in the NFL at 68% and he is 3rd in the NFL at his position in drops.

The dude makes highlight reel plays when he gets the ball in the open field, but it’s so clear that those occasional plays blind people to the whole rest of his game, which is not very good.

7 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

How is Drake their best player if he isn’t even outproducing Gore on the ground? Do you expect his ypc to increase with more touches? If so, why? Most people are of the belief that ypc decreases with increased workload and that CoP backs, which Drake has essentially been, get easier rushing opportunities.

I guess you could argue they should throw it to him more, but his catch % is 87/100 RBs in the NFL at 68% and he is 3rd in the NFL at his position in drops.

The dude makes highlight reel plays when he gets the ball in the open field, but it’s so clear that those occasional plays blind people to the whole rest of his game, which is not very good.

What do people consider COP backs? because Drake gets his runs on obvious downs in obvious formations...

I've had Drake on my roster from the beginning this season but only started him twice... Each time he underperformed. I'm considering whether I start him ahead of either Lamar Miller or Philip Lindsay this week. I think I need to start Lindsay...and Miller is far more reliable/consistent than Drake. This would be a high risk high reward move. Interested to hear your thoughts.... Would you start Drake over Miller this week?

3 minutes ago, BrixtonBears said:

I've had Drake on my roster from the beginning this season but only started him twice... Each time he underperformed. I'm considering whether I start him ahead of either Lamar Miller or Philip Lindsay this week. I think I need to start Lindsay...and Miller is far more reliable/consistent than Drake. This would be a high risk high reward move. Interested to hear your thoughts.... Would you start Drake over Miller this week?

Ask in the AC forum bud

I'd have to hope that Gore struggles on the inside against the MIN stacked front. The Seahawks had a lot of success last week running to the edges and singling out their pass rushers, and Drake is better suited to get those carries than Gore. I'd like to play the "Minny will be in front so Drake will be in their hurry formations" card, but Gore has been in the game plenty when they've trailed. 

I also hope that they don't reward Bolden for last week with a few carries..

All-in-all, I'm probably starting over Jordan Howard in standard.

The thing that scares me is the emergence of Bolden. If we assume that in the redzone it will be Gore or Bolden getting the carries...that leaves the only possibility for Kenyan to score is from an outside run or a pass in the flats...we know he hasn't been getting designed sweep runs...so that leaves really only one chance for him to score...a huge play in space or a pass in the flats. 

Scary to be sure...but someone said Minnesota is weak .vs. the passes in the flats? Can anyone else confirm?

29 minutes ago, Phinfan31 said:

The thing that scares me is the emergence of Bolden. If we assume that in the redzone it will be Gore or Bolden getting the carries...that leaves the only possibility for Kenyan to score is from an outside run or a pass in the flats...we know he hasn't been getting designed sweep runs...so that leaves really only one chance for him to score...a huge play in space or a pass in the flats. 

Scary to be sure...but someone said Minnesota is weak .vs. the passes in the flats? Can anyone else confirm?

I'm not too concerned with Bolden.  Bolden was a former Patriot and that was more of a revenge game for him than anything.  I think Bolden goes back to being completely invisible now.

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

He’s not good. Ya’ll need to let go of this notion that he is some supreme talent just waiting to be unleashed. He’s never been a feature back before in his life and unlikely ever will be. Just let it goooo....

This quote has no facts. He was actually a feature back for 3+ games last year, for starters. That unfortunately jacks up your entire post if anyone is to take it literally.

Are you Gase?

34 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

This quote has no facts. He was actually a feature back for 3+ games last year, for starters. That unfortunately jacks up your entire post if anyone is to take it literally.

Are you Gase?

Do you realize how many RBs who ended up as complete nothings have had a good 3+ game stretch in the garbage time of the season? The list is virtually endless.

You want some facts? Here is one: Frank Gore is outproducing Drake on the ground this season. He has better totals and he is more efficient. What is Frank Gore, the 20th best RB in the NFL, at best? What does that say about Drake if he can't even outproduce a guy who isn't anywhere near being a top NFL RB?

Here is another one: Kalen Ballage just produced more in his first limited opportunity than anything Drake has done the entire season.

For some reason two good games last year and a good 40 time was all it took to vault him into the "extremely talented" territory in minds of basically everyone, when he just hasn't been that good of a football player. He couldn't beat out Lacy, Yeldon, and Henry in college. He couldn't beat out washed Arian Foster, Ajayi, and Damien Williams his rookie year. He couldn't beat out Ajayi last year. Now he can't beat out Gore and is getting lapped by Ballage, too. None of these guys are special talents, so what's the deal? Drake was hand selected by Gase as the 3rd RB off the board in 2016 and people think he has some personal vendetta against Drake? Nahh, not buying it. The guy just isn't that good of a football player. He's a workout warrior, but a well rounded running back he is not.

6 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Do you realize how many RBs who ended up as complete nothings have had a good 3+ game stretch in the garbage time of the season?

I'm only quoting this part of your post because it's the beginning and the end of your trying to defend your original statement that Drake has never been a feature back.

He was - last year.

That's all I'm disputing.

7 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I'm only quoting this part of your post because it's the beginning and the end of your trying to defend your original statement that Drake has never been a feature back.

He was - last year.

That's all I'm disputing.

He is not a team's long term answer at the RB position in the workhorse role. It's just not who he is as a player and his skillset is not what NFL teams look for to fill that role. A 3 game stretch where he took 90% of snaps does not change that fact. Darren Sproles also had occasional stretches where he took workhorse like snaps. Doesn't change the fact that that just wasn't who he was as a player.

Drake played 3 games getting 90% snaps, and has had 7 full years of being a complimentary piece. Not sure at this point why people so desperately think he should be something that he is not.

Archived