NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Do you have any stats to back this up? It 100% seems to be the exact opposite with Drake. Over the last two seasons, he has had his BEST games when he's given MORE carries.

In fact, if we look at actual statistics, Kenyan Drake's  yards per carry ticks up slightly in the 2nd half, while Gore's average goes down a full half a yard per carry in the 2nd half. That makes sense. One guy is young and fresh, while the other is the oldest running back in the NFL. 

Maybe, juuuuust maybe, there was some logic to the idea of giving a higher volume to Drake, and using the old man more sparingly. Unless you like giving the ball repeatedly to an old player who consistently gets worse as the game goes on.  

His high workload is 14 carries?  

All season?   

I don’t know it was THAT bad. 

Utterly absurd.  There’s only 2 rbs in the league to finish with more points on fewer carries than Drake.   Cohen and White.  

Suspicions confirmed:  Gase thinks he’s a scatback. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you all know that since 2000, RBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds have a higher ypc than those drafted in the first 2 rounds? Ya’ll think that’s because those guys are better talents? Or just that they tend to play CoP roles where efficiency comes by more easily?

Drake has not been the early down pounder this season, he has been a CoP guy. The fact he isn’t vastly out-efficiencying Gore is a total indictment on his abilities.

2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Did you all know that since 2000, RBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds have a higher ypc than those drafted in the first 2 rounds? Ya’ll think that’s because those guys are better talents? Or just that they tend to play CoP roles where efficiency comes by more easily?

Drake has not been the early down pounder this season, he has been a CoP guy. The fact he isn’t vastly out-efficiencying Gore is pathetic.

That may be true for smaller, part time scatbacks, but not 6’1” 211 lb studs who already handled the big workload last season. 

These were his touches when elevated in 2017:  

26, 22, 13, 30, 17.   Over 5 YPT and a threat everytime the ball was in his hands.   Not once has he been given this opportunity in 2018.  

41 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Orrr, his efficiency ticks up in the second half because the Dolphins are mediocre and have to play catchup, leading to situations in which the defense plays the pass. The Dolphins have had 3 come from behind wins and the 4th worst net point differential in the NFL. The vast majority of the time defenses are playing the pass on them in the second half.

Except, when the Dolphins are WINNING, Drake is averaging 4.2 yards per carry, and Gore is averaging 3.9. So when the defense is expecting run, Drake is better. 

So.... 

Drake leads the DoLOLphins in TDs ( rushing/rec) this year by a lot while being literally being allergic to getting on the field thanks to Gase.  He leads his team in TDs in SPITE of his coach lol.   Just think how many TDs he and the DoLOLphins would have this year if they actually gave him a workload to get into a rhythm in any game this year.

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

That may be true for smaller, part time scatbacks, but not 6’1” 211 lb studs who already handled the big workload last season. 

These were his touches when elevated in 2017:  

26, 22, 13, 30, 17.   Over 5 YPT and a threat everytime the ball was in his hands.   Not once has he been given this opportunity in 2018.  

He had 2 good games last year. Never have I ever seen a guy live off the performance of 2 games like Drake has. 

The guy couldn’t beat out Lacy, Yeldon, and Henry in college. He hasn’t beaten out Ajayi, Gore, and now Ballage in the NFL. At what point do people just let it go and recognize him for what he is?

Nobody cares about Ajayi’s monster games from a couple years ago because we can all see what he is.

Drake has a whole season of not being able to outproduce Gore. People here acting like he’s a magic genie that only comes out of the lamp when he’s fed 20 carries lol. Na ah, he is what he is.

Just now, MJJ28 said:

He had 2 good games last year. Never have I ever seen a guy live off the performance of 2 games like Drake has. 

The guy couldn’t beat out Lacy, Yeldon, and Henry in college. He hasn’t beaten out Ajayi, Gore, and now Ballage in the NFL. At what point do people just let it go and recognize him for what he is?

Nobody cares about Ajayi’s monster games from a couple years ago because we can all see what he is.

Drake has a whole season of not being given the opportunity to outproduce Gore. People here acting like he’s a magic genie that only comes out of the lamp when he’s fed 20 carries lol. Na ah, he is what he is.

I fixed that, because what you said was factually incorrect.

5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Drake has a whole season of not being able to outproduce Gore. People here acting like he’s a magic genie that only comes out of the lamp when he’s fed 20 carries lol. Na ah, he is what he is.

They are tied in YPC but drake has more TDs...

Gore is no slouch though, every year people think he will hit the wall and he keeps going. To say that Gore is better than drake isn't going out in a limb but drake is more explosive and something the dolphins need to use more.

7 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Yes huuuhhh :D

he is the magic genie of schticking Gase’ wife it would appear.....:ph34r:

Opportunity isn’t given in the NFL. It is earned. 

Coaches never make mistakes. I suppose Jamaal Williams earned the opportunity ahead of Aaron Jones. Royce Freeman earned the opportunity over Phillip Lindsay. Carlos Hyde earned the opportunity over Nick Chubb. 

The difference is, those mistakes were corrected. Gase refuses to admit he isn't smarter than everyone. 

My dad has a saying, "if ten people tell you you're drunk, lie down". Well, more than 10 people have told Gase he's drunk, and he just keeps insisting, "naaaaah... om fiine." 

5 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Coaches never make mistakes. I suppose Jamaal Williams earned the opportunity ahead of Aaron Jones. Royce Freeman earned the opportunity over Phillip Lindsay. Carlos Hyde earned the opportunity over Nick Chubb. 

The difference is, those mistakes were corrected. Gase refuses to admit he isn't smarter than everyone. 

My dad has a saying, "if ten people tell you you're drunk, lie down". Well, more than 10 people have told Gase he's drunk, and he just keeps insisting, "naaaaah... om fiine." 

Aaron Jones outperformed Jamaal. Lindsay outperformed Freeman. Chubb outperformed Hyde.

Drake has outperformed Gore through the air, so Drake plays in passing situation. Gore has outperformed Drake on the ground, so Gore gets  the carries. It’s actually been pretty reasonable.

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

Aaron Jones outperformed Jamaal. Lindsay outperformed Freeman. Chubb outperformed Hyde.

Drake has outperformed Gore through the air, so Drake plays in passing situation. Gore has outperformed Drake on the ground, so Gore gets  the carries. It’s actually been pretty reasonable.

Gore has a higher catch percentage and yard per reception rate. They are both averaging the same YPC on the ground. 

Literally nothing you said is correct. 

Miami is a bad football team.  They’re a few miracle plays from having 4 wins.    Who are you trying to kid here?  

Fortunately they have so many other playmakers that Drake is only needed in spot duty.  Makes sense 

11 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Gore has a higher catch percentage and yard per reception rate. They are both averaging the same YPC on the ground. 

Literally nothing you said is correct. 

More volume = less efficiency on the ground. Same ypc with Gore having significantly more volume means Gore is doing better

Maybe Gore  should take over pass catching duties, too. After all Drake was 87/100 in catch rate prior to this week and 3rd at the RB position in drops. Is he even a good receiver? 

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Miami is a bad football team.  They’re a few miracle plays from having 4 wins.    Who are you trying to kid here?  

Fortunately they have so many other playmakers that Drake is only needed in spot duty.  Makes sense 

Why is Drake even considered a playmaker? Like the poster above corrected me, Gore is outproducing him in the receiving game and their ypc is the same. Seems like Gore is every bit of the playmaker Drake is, if not more.

Drake is the .200 hitter that hits 40 home runs a year and is replacement level due to all the other holes in his game. People here just are blinded by the homeruns he hits.

Why is Drake even considered a playmaker? Like the poster above corrected me, Gore is outproducing him in the receiving game and their ypc is the same. Seems like Gore is every bit of the playmaker Drake is, if not more.

No way Gore does the Miami miracle.

5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Drake is the .200 hitter that hits 40 home runs a year and is replacement level due to all the other holes in his game. People here just are blinded by the homeruns he hits.

You can't use the cop back argument against drake in the run game and for Gore in the passing game, that's a double standard.

11 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

You can't use the cop back argument against drake in the run game and for Gore in the passing game, that's a double standard.

Yea I know. That poster that quoted me suggested that Gore is a better receiver than Drake in an attempt to discredit my argument, so I played along with his statement.

Yea I know. That poster that quoted me suggested that Gore is a better receiver than Drake, so I played along with his statement.

I should have guessed :lol: mybad

anyone seeing drake stay in Miami next year? UFA in 2020....

Nagy could use another RB like drake. I was hoping they would snag Hunt but drake is a similar build with receiving chops...

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

Definitely the second option.

Pretty irrelevant stat.

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

I should have guessed :lol: mybad

anyone seeing drake stay in Miami next year? UFA in 2020....

Nagy could use another RB like drake. I was hoping they would snag Hunt but drake is a similar build with receiving chops...

I don’t see him changing teams this offseason. He is performing well within his role, so I would think they’d like to have him keep doing what he is doing.

The only hope for more changes is a coaching change IMO, which I also don’t see happening yet this offseason.

5 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Definitely the second option.

Pretty irrelevant stat.

Agree that it’s the second option. Which makes Drake’s situation quite peculiar given that he is in the CoP role and can’t even out ypc Gore.

Archived