NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/4/2018 at 5:37 PM, irvnasty said:

Serious chance that we just saw the best year of Drake's career.

Think you're underselling him.  The fact that the Dolphins didn't burn an early pick at RB is a good thing for him.

Ballage and Gore are depth. 

Remember when Jamaal Charles broke out in 2009?  I see something similar coming with Drake.  

I could easily see a 1300+ 8+ season coming from Drake if he gets 15+ touches a game.

1 hour ago, shaft4783 said:

Think you're underselling him.  The fact that the Dolphins didn't burn an early pick at RB is a good thing for him.

Ballage and Gore are depth. 

Remember when Jamaal Charles broke out in 2009?  I see something similar coming with Drake.  

I could easily see a 1300+ 8+ season coming from Drake if he gets 15+ touches a game.

Agreed, the only thing that worries me is that Miami might be a dumpster fire this year. Drake will (hopefully) have the passing downs on lock.

1 hour ago, DancingGnome said:

Agreed, the only thing that worries me is that Miami might be a dumpster fire this year. Drake will (hopefully) have the passing downs on lock.

Ballage’s strength is in the passing game, which is similar to Drake.  

Could Ballage be put in a Kamara role?

Could Drake loose 1st and 2nd down work to Gore?

Drake should be in for a big year, but there’s a lot of risk as well.  We haven’t seen enough of Drake, but Miami seemed hesitant to declare him the featured back in 2017.

Someone is going to make Drake their RB2.  Is it worth jumping ahead of them?  Taking Drake in the 3rd round is a bit of a reach...

15 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Ballage’s strength is in the passing game, which is similar to Drake.  

Could Ballage be put in a Kamara role?

Could Drake loose 1st and 2nd down work to Gore?

Drake should be in for a big year, but there’s a lot of risk as well.  We haven’t seen enough of Drake, but Miami seemed hesitant to declare him the featured back in 2017.

Someone is going to make Drake their RB2.  Is it worth jumping ahead of them?  Taking Drake in the 3rd round is a bit of a reach...

Ballage couldn't beat out Demario Richard.  He's an athlete, not much of a football player.

Drake is simply better than Gore at this point.

To not feature Drake would be Gase possibly losing his job because of it.

3 hours ago, DancingGnome said:

Agreed, the only thing that worries me is that Miami might be a dumpster fire this year.

I was thinking this too, and possibly downgrading from dumpster fire to school bus fire. Has me hesitant to spend any serious draft capital; when it comes down to it, have to see who’s out there with Drake and draft accordingly... but if I drafted today, I’m leaning away from Miami. Maybe puck up Stills in double digit rounds.

5 hours ago, shaft4783 said:

It’s not so much Drake I’m staying away from as the Dolphins offense... 

Between the Jets and Bills restructuring, and the Dolphins with Osweiler at the helm (just guessing here that Tannehill struggles to get/stay healthy, little basis other than gut... not that I think he’s good enough to make a difference), the AFC East might lead the league in accumulated losses. Interesting to see the pass-to-rush ratio at mid-season...

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

I was thinking this too, and possibly downgrading from dumpster fire to school bus fire. Has me hesitant to spend any serious draft capital; when it comes down to it, have to see who’s out there with Drake and draft accordingly... but if I drafted today, I’m leaning away from Miami. Maybe puck up Stills in double digit rounds.

It’s not so much Drake I’m staying away from as the Dolphins offense... 

Between the Jets and Bills restructuring, and the Dolphins with Osweiler at the helm (just guessing here that Tannehill struggles to get/stay healthy, little basis other than gut... not that I think he’s good enough to make a difference), the AFC East might lead the league in accumulated losses. Interesting to see the pass-to-rush ratio at mid-season...

All indications are Tannehill will be fine.  He certainly has had plenty of time to get healthy and he's still only 29.

Cutler was the primary QB last year towards the end of the year and Drake did fine.  It's the loss of Landry that worries me... hopefully Amendola, Wilson, Carroo, and Gisecki can pick up the slack.

9 hours ago, shaft4783 said:

All indications are Tannehill will be fine.  He certainly has had plenty of time to get healthy and he's still only 29.

Cutler was the primary QB last year towards the end of the year and Drake did fine.  It's the loss of Landry that worries me... hopefully Amendola, Wilson, Carroo, and Gisecki can pick up the slack.

So what was up last season with Gase stubbornly not committing to Drake?  Did Williams have photos or something?

I'll admit, everytime I see a HC mistreat a talented RB I think of Payton's treatment of Ingram prior to last season.  Heck, NO even signed Peterson heading into 2017.  The point being that sometimes mysteries remain mysteries.  I just wish someone had a reliable theory as to why Gase steadfastly refused to give Drake the love that his performances on the field should have earned him last season.

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

So what was up last season with Gase stubbornly not committing to Drake?  Did Williams have photos or something?

I'll admit, everytime I see a HC mistreat a talented RB I think of Payton's treatment of Ingram prior to last season.  Heck, NO even signed Peterson heading into 2017.  The point being that sometimes mysteries remain mysteries.  I just wish someone had a reliable theory as to why Gase steadfastly refused to give Drake the love that his performances on the field should have earned him last season.

As a Fins fan I had a lot of hope for Gase coming in.  After last year I have lost a lot of that hope.  I got so frustrated watching him roll out Williams for a number of series when Drake should have been in there.  I have no idea what his reasoning was but it was very frustrating.

I believe in Drake and want to keep him in a number of leagues but I have to admit I'm scared of what the coaching staff will do there. Is it the coaching or is someone higher up messing/tinkering where they shouldn't?  Reminds me of when they mis-treated Miller and kept running a crappy Daniel Thomas when Miller should have been getting the touches.

Seems that once they get a good player they can't wait to get rid of him.  Miller, Landry and now what are they doing with Drake?

14 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

As a Fins fan I had a lot of hope for Gase coming in.  After last year I have lost a lot of that hope.  I got so frustrated watching him roll out Williams for a number of series when Drake should have been in there.  I have no idea what his reasoning was but it was very frustrating.

I believe in Drake and want to keep him in a number of leagues but I have to admit I'm scared of what the coaching staff will do there. Is it the coaching or is someone higher up messing/tinkering where they shouldn't?  Reminds me of when they mis-treated Miller and kept running a crappy Daniel Thomas when Miller should have been getting the touches.

Seems that once they get a good player they can't wait to get rid of him.  Miller, Landry and now what are they doing with Drake?

Gase must have had his reasons for treating Drake so strangely.  I am surprised the media in Miami hasn't unearthed and reported some useful info on the subject.  Without some insight, we are all flying in the dark with our Drake evaluations.

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Gase must have had his reasons for treating Drake so strangely.  I am surprised the media in Miami hasn't unearthed and reported some useful info on the subject.  Without some insight, we are all flying in the dark with our Drake evaluations.

Most NFL head coaches lack creativity and just prefer to do the same thing as everyone else, aka RBBC, often times to their own detriment. Of course the fantasy community at whole is used to beating the drum for specific individuals, but head coaches less so in practice, either because they’re blind to the talent differences or just because they’re doing business as normal.

I think some coaches try to be like "hoodie" and get creative and try to out smart their opponents. Problem is not all coaches are Hoodie and the game plan often doesn't play out as planned.  Even if I never played fantasy football as a Fins fan I was outraged seeing Williams get all the touches he did. Then see Drake go in and rip off some insane runs and plays.

8 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Most NFL head coaches lack creativity and just prefer to do the same thing as everyone else, aka RBBC, often times to their own detriment. Of course the fantasy community at whole is used to beating the drum for specific individuals, but head coaches less so in practice, either because they’re blind to the talent differences or just because they’re doing business as normal.

What Gase was doing last season was far worse than simply uncreative.  He would go away from Drake after Drake made plays.  Gase made that odd decision so many times that it had to be conscious.  

Why it wasn't a local media story, with some attendant investigative reporting, is very surprising to me.  In most other markets, the fans and beat writers would be clamoring for an answer.

When he took over the job in Week 13, he was one of the better RB's in the league. My only issue with Drake is that I trust Miami's coaching staff probably less than any other one in the league. I can't wait until they plod Gore 8-10 times a game for 25 yards. Ballage could get some run on 3rd downs as well. Drake is probably my RB19. 

12 hours ago, GhostOfCap said:

When he took over the job in Week 13, he was one of the better RB's in the league. My only issue with Drake is that I trust Miami's coaching staff probably less than any other one in the league. I can't wait until they plod Gore 8-10 times a game for 25 yards. Ballage could get some run on 3rd downs as well. Drake is probably my RB19. 

Gore is getting up there and good for him to keep finding a team that is willing to give him some burn.  His vision and decision making are still elite. But he's starting to lose that burst through the line that made him so dangerous.  Once Gore found that hole he was through it in a flash.  Sometimes I wondered how he ever found a hole.  Having said that I sure hope they don't give him a ton of reps and I don't see him getting 3rd down work.  I'm not sure it is fair to Gore to say he is a plodder because he's better than that, but I agree that this should be the Drake show and let him see if he can handle 15-20 rushes and some more work in the passing game. 15-20 touches should be minimum for Drake. But I'm afraid the coaches don't see it that way, or at least didn't last year.

C'mon Miami!

And what about Ballage?  He has phenomenal physical talent and can catch.     I’m not feeling this backfield for any price unless we get some clarification by draft time.   Knowing Gase this won’t happen.    Too bad- Drake seems to have all the talent you could want 

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/04/03/adam-gase-miami-dolphins-have-serious-plan-to-teach-study-and-learn-better/

The Dolphins hadn’t just lost again on national television; they had been humiliated, 40-0 at Baltimore.

Coach Adam Gase was embarrassed. He seemed stunned. And he seemed determined.

So after a rough night of sleep, Gase held a news conference in Davie in which he laid it out publicly like never before.

“I don’t think it’s a retain information thing,” Gase said. “It’s we’re not putting the work in. That’s what it comes down to. If you can’t remember it, you shouldn’t be in the NFL. At the end of the day, guys have got to actually take this stuff home and study it. They’re not going to just learn it all in meetings. We’ve got to find guys that will actually put forth effort to actually remember this stuff and really, it starts with our best players.”

Gase was publicly calling out his players, not for their lack of skill, but their lack of preparation.

The Dolphins then had a 4-3 record, but Gase was so dissatisfied, he shipped Pro Bowl running back Jay Ajayi away for a fourth-rounder, just a few days later.

A key message had been sent. And really, it should not have been a surprise. Gase told us all he was not happy with Ajayi.

“The running back, we never block the right guy,” Gase said then. “I don’t even know if we know who we’ve got. We’ve got to get that fixed.”

Running back Damien Williams, a free-spirited spark plug, was not re-signed this off-season. Instead, Gase opted for veteran Frank Gore, who Gase hopes will mentor Drake, who made some strides in attention-to-detail in 2017.

“I think he’s a great guy for us to have in that locker room and that running back room,” Gase said of Gore. “I think he’s a great guy for (Kenyan) Drake to see work day in and day out.

Since that press conference, Ajayi, Williams and wide receiver Jarvis Landry, who for various reasons at times frustrated Gase and the Dolphins organization, have all been sent packing.

This begs the question of course, what reason does Gase have to believe things will be different in 2018?

“We have some good thoughts on how we want to do some things moving forward,” Gase said at the recent NFL owners meetings. “We feel confident in some of the stuff we’re looking to do this offseason in that Phase I, Phase II areas, of how we can get our guys to learn better and take things with the seriousness they need to. Sometimes you’ve got to add the right guys to show other guys the right way.

Gase often speaks quickly, so it can be really helpful to transcribe what he says and read it over a few times.

Gase usually means what he says. He can’t help it.

What Gase said was saying in Orlando is that the team now has a plan it believes will help the players learn more effectively. It seems quite clear that Gase, a players’ coach, might stress from Day 1 what will happen to any player who does not take his job seriously enough.

It seems obvious that Gase felt he needed some players jettisoned, and some veteran leadership added. And he also felt that a coaching staff turnover (new coaches at offensive line, receiver, defensive line and defensive backs) was necessary.

In that memorable, remarkable press conference last October, Gase said he has been dealing with players not studying enough for two years.

“I’m kind of fed up with it,” he said then.

In that news conference, Gase said he may have to do some things “the fan base may not like.”

He did.

In that news conference, Gase said players needed to get their head right, and coaches needed to coach better, and the overall effort needed to be better.

Gase did what he told us all he was going to do. And now, with players reporting to camp in just 13 days, Gase believes he has a plan to make sure what he witnessed in 2017 he never, ever has to see again.

-------------------------------------

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article210372464.html

Fourth-round running back Kalen Bellage can expect lots of snaps on special teams as a rookie this season.

But he will need to impress as a ball-carrier and receiver to compel Adam Gase to find snaps for him on offense behind Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore. Gase likes his skill set.

"He’s a big man that runs fast and can catch the ball well," Gase said Thursday. "He really has all of the things that you’re looking for in an all-around back. It’ll be fun to see how he progresses and how things go … how quick he learns everything and how he fits in with the group.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/96274684-132.html

Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase is optimistic that tailback Kenyan Drake's game will take his game to the next level if he becomes more consistent as a pro.

Listen to the video at the above link.  Taken with the other stories, what is Gase telling you about Drake, by bringing in Gore and drafting Ballage with pick 131? 

Was Drake part of the group who wasn't studying/working hard "for two years"?  

What would it take for Ballage to “compel” Gase to get snaps on the field?   Could Ballage win the starting job without being the better "runner"? 

Will playing time for Gase be about who runs the quickest/best, or something else?  How much is knowing your assignments/adjustments worth?

Given this, how do you feel about picking Drake early rather than Ballage or Gore late?

What I know about Adam Gase over the years is he's extremely bi-polar and is so proficient in the art of coachspeak that he makes Chuck Pagano look like a straight shooter.

It makes me queasy owning any Miami Dolphins until he gets fired next year but man Mike Gesicki is gonna be a nightmare for defenses next year.

Kenyan Drake is going to do good things for his next team too in a couple years just like Lamar Miller and Jay Ajayi. Who is the common denominator here?

The man who's entire reputation and financial stability is built on the brilliance of Peyton Manning. 

So Gore is in Miami to mentor Drake into improving Drake's all-around game and preparation?  So that Drake can become a superstar?  Sounds good to me.

4 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

what is Gase telling you about Drake, by bringing in Gore and drafting Ballage with pick 131? 

What would it take for Ballage to “compel” Gase to get snaps on the field?   Could Ballage win the starting job without being the better "runner"? 

Will playing time for Gase be about who runs the quickest/best, or something else?  How much is knowing your assignments/adjustments worth?

Given this, how do you feel about picking Drake early rather than Ballage or Gore late?

Stay tuned next week to, Miami Dolphins: Middle-School Football in the NFL to find out.

Man, I sure hope Drake is doing his homework.

6 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Kudos to @Iron-cock for taking the time gather and share some real information.  We have some insight about the Gore signing now.  We also have a framework of sorts too for digesting the morsels of info that we might come across during preseason.  For example, if the CS compliments Drake the right way (e.g., for learning his assignments, carrying himself more like a pro, etc.), we know how much that may mean for Drake's share of snaps. We, and the CS, already know that he has the physical skill set to succeed.

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So Gore is in Miami to mentor Drake into improving Drake's all-around game and preparation?  So that Drake can become a superstar?  Sounds good to me.

Its a potential outcome...  the biggest takeaway for me is how critical pass protection is to Gase.   And just how uncompromising he can be.   

Wait and see

7 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/04/03/adam-gase-miami-dolphins-have-serious-plan-to-teach-study-and-learn-better/

The Dolphins hadn’t just lost again on national television; they had been humiliated, 40-0 at Baltimore.

Coach Adam Gase was embarrassed. He seemed stunned. And he seemed determined.

So after a rough night of sleep, Gase held a news conference in Davie in which he laid it out publicly like never before.

“I don’t think it’s a retain information thing,” Gase said. “It’s we’re not putting the work in. That’s what it comes down to. If you can’t remember it, you shouldn’t be in the NFL. At the end of the day, guys have got to actually take this stuff home and study it. They’re not going to just learn it all in meetings. We’ve got to find guys that will actually put forth effort to actually remember this stuff and really, it starts with our best players.”

Gase was publicly calling out his players, not for their lack of skill, but their lack of preparation.

The Dolphins then had a 4-3 record, but Gase was so dissatisfied, he shipped Pro Bowl running back Jay Ajayi away for a fourth-rounder, just a few days later.

A key message had been sent. And really, it should not have been a surprise. Gase told us all he was not happy with Ajayi.

“The running back, we never block the right guy,” Gase said then. “I don’t even know if we know who we’ve got. We’ve got to get that fixed.”

Running back Damien Williams, a free-spirited spark plug, was not re-signed this off-season. Instead, Gase opted for veteran Frank Gore, who Gase hopes will mentor Drake, who made some strides in attention-to-detail in 2017.

“I think he’s a great guy for us to have in that locker room and that running back room,” Gase said of Gore. “I think he’s a great guy for (Kenyan) Drake to see work day in and day out.

Since that press conference, Ajayi, Williams and wide receiver Jarvis Landry, who for various reasons at times frustrated Gase and the Dolphins organization, have all been sent packing.

This begs the question of course, what reason does Gase have to believe things will be different in 2018?

“We have some good thoughts on how we want to do some things moving forward,” Gase said at the recent NFL owners meetings. “We feel confident in some of the stuff we’re looking to do this offseason in that Phase I, Phase II areas, of how we can get our guys to learn better and take things with the seriousness they need to. Sometimes you’ve got to add the right guys to show other guys the right way.

Gase often speaks quickly, so it can be really helpful to transcribe what he says and read it over a few times.

Gase usually means what he says. He can’t help it.

What Gase said was saying in Orlando is that the team now has a plan it believes will help the players learn more effectively. It seems quite clear that Gase, a players’ coach, might stress from Day 1 what will happen to any player who does not take his job seriously enough.

It seems obvious that Gase felt he needed some players jettisoned, and some veteran leadership added. And he also felt that a coaching staff turnover (new coaches at offensive line, receiver, defensive line and defensive backs) was necessary.

In that memorable, remarkable press conference last October, Gase said he has been dealing with players not studying enough for two years.

“I’m kind of fed up with it,” he said then.

In that news conference, Gase said he may have to do some things “the fan base may not like.”

He did.

In that news conference, Gase said players needed to get their head right, and coaches needed to coach better, and the overall effort needed to be better.

Gase did what he told us all he was going to do. And now, with players reporting to camp in just 13 days, Gase believes he has a plan to make sure what he witnessed in 2017 he never, ever has to see again.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article210372464.html

Fourth-round running back Kalen Bellage can expect lots of snaps on special teams as a rookie this season.

But he will need to impress as a ball-carrier and receiver to compel Adam Gase to find snaps for him on offense behind Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore. Gase likes his skill set.

"He’s a big man that runs fast and can catch the ball well," Gase said Thursday. "He really has all of the things that you’re looking for in an all-around back. It’ll be fun to see how he progresses and how things go … how quick he learns everything and how he fits in with the group.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/96274684-132.html

Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase is optimistic that tailback Kenyan Drake's game will take his game to the next level if he becomes more consistent as a pro.

Listen to the video at the above link.  Taken with the other stories, what is Gase telling you about Drake, by bringing in Gore and drafting Ballage with pick 131? 

So Gase was 4-3 with Ajayi as the centerpiece of the offense, traded him for a 4th to send a message, and they finish 2-7. 

Message received: he's an incompetent coach.

5 hours ago, Jason497 said:

What I know about Adam Gase over the years is he's extremely bi-polar and is so proficient in the art of coachspeak that he makes Chuck Pagano look like a straight shooter.

It makes me queasy owning any Miami Dolphins until he gets fired next year but man Mike Gesicki is gonna be a nightmare for defenses next year.

I'm betting on him making an impact as a rookie and getting into the top 10 TE for fantasy. he was not drafted to block

• tonycpsu changed the title to Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic

Archived