NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook

28 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm betting on him making an impact as a rookie and getting into the top 10 TE for fantasy. he was not drafted to block

Not if he makes fun of Gase’s haircut or complains about the apple sauce in the Dolphin’s cafeteria, then you can expect Gase to trade him for Ebron or Fleener.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dashoe said:

I'm betting on him making an impact as a rookie and getting into the top 10 TE for fantasy. he was not drafted to block

Most TE's aren't drafted to block. At least not the ones that go in the first 5 rounds of the draft. Not many make the transition as a rookie though.

On 5/13/2018 at 10:00 AM, dashoe said:

I generally have trouble drafting rookie TEs.  I want to believe the hype each year but even the best ones take some time to really hit their potential.

What does intrigue me though is all the targets left on the field by Landry.  Gesicki has a LOT of opportunity here.  Can he learn fast enough and can he be a regular on the field each series?

As for Drake, if he can learn from Gore and be a better pro I'm all for it.  Gore isn't an everydown back anymore, he just can't do it.  Speaking of opportunity, Drake has a TON.

11 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I generally have trouble drafting rookie TEs.  I want to believe the hype each year but even the best ones take some time to really hit their potential.

What does intrigue me though is all the targets left on the field by Landry.  Gesicki has a LOT of opportunity here.  Can he learn fast enough and can he be a regular on the field each series?

As for Drake, if he can learn from Gore and be a better pro I'm all for it.  Gore isn't an everydown back anymore, he just can't do it.  Speaking of opportunity, Drake has a TON.

Great post- agree with all of it.   So rare to see opportunity translate to instant success when it comes to rookie tes.   

Drake showed us all last season what he is capable of.  And that was with Tannehill's injury and without the current offensive upgrades (if any).

No doubt, Drake is an all down stud "in waiting."  What are you willing to pay for the privilege of seeing him emerge, or not?

Right now,  FCC has the order Henry, Ajayi, Drake, Collins, Miller in the 3/4 turn in 12 team PPR.  If Gase looks like he is finally buying into Drake, then I say Drake vaults past all those guys currently around him.  If Gase rides Drake anywhere close to where he rode Ajayi, then Drake owners will have a special player on their hands in all formats.

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Drake showed us all last season what he is capable of.  And that was with Tannehill's injury and without the current offensive upgrades (if any).

No doubt, Drake is an all down stud "in waiting."  What are you willing to pay for the privilege of seeing him emerge, or not?

Right now,  FCC has the order Henry, Ajayi, Drake, Collins, Miller in the 3/4 turn in 12 team PPR.  If Gase looks like he is finally buying into Drake, then I say Drake vaults past all those guys currently around him.  If Gase rides Drake anywhere close to where he rode Ajayi, then Drake owners will have a special player on their hands in all formats.

Drake is starting to climb the rankings.  Up to 33 on Fantasy Pros for standard scoring.  Really debating on keeping this guy in a couple leagues now.  I've always liked him but not it seems his value is increasing.  

I'm in no way passionate about any of this, but I think it stems from their offseason moves.  Cutting Suh, still a top level player, to barely save any cap, was a head scratcher for me.  Pouncey is also gone, two of their anchors.  Usually teams making moves like this are trending down, rather than up.     I dont look at the roster and see anything to really fear.      Robert Quinn seems to be far removed from his 19 sack season, he's not moving the needle.  Josh Sitton has been cut twice recently.  On offense, its another year of hoping Tannehill and Parker finally connect, dont hold your breath.    

6 hours ago, BrianM said:

I'm in no way passionate about any of this, but I think it stems from their offseason moves.  Cutting Suh, still a top level player, to barely save any cap, was a head scratcher for me.  Pouncey is also gone, two of their anchors.  Usually teams making moves like this are trending down, rather than up.     I dont look at the roster and see anything to really fear.      Robert Quinn seems to be far removed from his 19 sack season, he's not moving the needle.  Josh Sitton has been cut twice recently.  On offense, its another year of hoping Tannehill and Parker finally connect, dont hold your breath.    

Tannehill >>>> Cutler. They went 6-10 last year. Zero chance they regress to a worse record. Pouncey has been injured or terrible when he’s played last 3 years.

If you think Landry and Julius Thomas are better than the trio of Amendola, Albert Wilson, Gesicki, than they got worse at pass catching and DT only. No other position is worse off than last year. O-Line is improved, LB unit is improved, Secondary much improved with Minkah Fitzpatrick, and most importantly their QB is so much better with Cutler gone.  

I don't think there is much of a drop off from Tannehill to Cutler. They both stink. And none of those receivers can make up for what they lost in Landry. The Dolphins will be lucky to get 10 healthy games out of Amendola. He plays with reckless abandon and gets injured all the time.

Just now, devaster said:

I don't think there is much of a drop off from Tannehill to Cutler. They both stink. And none of those receivers can make up for what they lost in Landry. The Dolphins will be lucky to get 10 healthy games out of Amendola. He plays with reckless abandon and gets injured all the time.

Landry's loss will be big for Tannehill.  Landry is such an underrated WR.  It is weird to say that because in PPR he was a beast when RT was healthy. But even then I don't think the Miami organization respected him for all that he does.  Only 3 drops on 161 targets.  If Landry could play with a Tier 1 QB and a top O-Coord he could be a mini AB and I do believe that.  

As a Miami fan - they stink.  I just hope the changes Gase is making are for the better. I want to believe but he talks about "effort" and "learning" etc and if the players aren't doing that Gase has already lost the team.  I expect another 6 win season - they struggle with winning games in their own division.

15 hours ago, Slim Duncan said:

Zero chance they regress to a worse record

Alright, so homerism it is.   Well, I won't rebut, because its like arguing with a flat earther, but at least, at least have the cognizance to see that its possible your team is bad.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, BrianM said:

Alright, so homerism it is.   Well, I won't rebut, because its like arguing with a flat earther, but at least, at least have the cognizance to see that its possible your team is bad.  

Everything equates to homerism, instead of actual convo. 

Answer me these three questions:

— Albert Wilson, Danny Amendola, Gesicki

or 

Landry, Julius Thomas

— Tannehill, Raekwon McMillan, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Mike Gesicki, Josh Sitton, Robert Quinn, William Hayes, Akeem Spence, and Jerome Baker as a sub package/potential LB2, while really only losing Suh and Landry as key pieces.

— This year’s schedule way easier than last year’s schedule on paper....

How do they lose more games than last year? 

Just now, Slim Duncan said:

Everything equates to homerism, instead of actual convo. 

Answer me these three questions:

— Albert Wilson, Danny Amendola, Gesicki

or 

Landry, Julius Thomas

— Tannehill, Raekwon McMillan, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Mike Gesicki, Josh Sitton, Robert Quinn, William Hayes, Akeem Spence, and Jerome Baker as a sub package/potential LB2, while really only losing Suh and Landry as key pieces.

— This year’s schedule way easier than last year’s schedule on paper....

How do they lose more games than last year? 

No pass rush

Bad DL

Bad secondary

Bad OL

No dominant running game to hide QB and lack of defense (ever since Ajayi traded)

Only reason they may lose fewer than 10 games this season is they play BUF twice.

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

No pass rush

Bad DL

Bad secondary

Bad OL

No dominant running game to hide QB and lack of defense (ever since Ajayi traded)

Only reason they may lose fewer than 10 games this season is they play BUF twice.

- They have improved pass rush this year than last year (Wake, Quinn, Charles Harris year 2)

- D-line I can see your point. Loss of Suh hurts significantly. But they have always been a bottom 12 team against the rush with Suh. 

- Bad secondary: Return young corners in Tankersley & Xavien Howard. Gained Minkah in the draft. Tony Lippet (starter in ‘16 should be 100% after a torn ACL).

- Bad O-line: Tunsil at LT is good/really good. Juwan James at RT was one of the best at his position before his IR injury and is a season away from a huge pay day. Grabbed Sitton for Guard. Replaced a dead/injury prone C for an average one. Should be a top half O-Line. 

- Kenyan Drake and the running game as a whole outperformed Ajayi by every measure last year. 

Most of those guys are young players. To expect them to be worse when they’re entering the prime of their careers seems a bit biased to me. 

20 hours ago, Slim Duncan said:

- They have improved pass rush this year than last year (Wake, Quinn, Charles Harris year 2)

- D-line I can see your point. Loss of Suh hurts significantly. But they have always been a bottom 12 team against the rush with Suh. 

- Bad secondary: Return young corners in Tankersley & Xavien Howard. Gained Minkah in the draft. Tony Lippet (starter in ‘16 should be 100% after a torn ACL).

- Bad O-line: Tunsil at LT is good/really good. Juwan James at RT was one of the best at his position before his IR injury and is a season away from a huge pay day. Grabbed Sitton for Guard. Replaced a dead/injury prone C for an average one. Should be a top half O-Line. 

- Kenyan Drake and the running game as a whole outperformed Ajayi by every measure last year. 

Most of those guys are young players. To expect them to be worse when they’re entering the prime of their careers seems a bit biased to me. 

I think, in part, it's Gase that has me worried. I'm suggest he'll rot, but I need to see more evidence that he'll coach the team into a new (i.e. winning) era. On one hand, I'm 100% in the maxim, support your coach, support the man in charge, even if he hasn't earned it yet; it's a team, and someone must lead, and for the leader to be successful there must be support and a measure of harmony. On the other hand, Gase's, "I’m done compromising with anybody. I’ll do what I think is best and those that want to come on board, great. Those that don’t, we’ll get rid of them” --- I'm not a fan of this attitude (direct quote). And I think shipping off Ajayi was a mistake. A 200-yard game is rare; two 200-yard games back-to-back shows Ajayi had something special, and if I was Gase I would've found a way to work with this specialty, rather than ship him off the following season. As Big Nate says above, Landry was also an exceptional player, and I'm not a fan of getting rid of Landry with the hopes that Parker steps up, not a fan of taking Amandola as if that's the fix, nor do I see Albert Wilson as the missing cog Miami needed. Landry wasn't just good, he was a WR who made contested catches and caused problems for defenses. Offloading Suh? I don't understand. Suh was the one guy who'd actually help out the struggling secondary by incessant pressure, and I'd think that Rashad Jones was miserable to see Suh leave. But, for my two cents, I think letting Julius Thomas go was just as big as a mistake as the other elements: while he doesn't have a ton of gas in the tank, he has more valuable experience than many TEs currently playing, and if you're looking to develop your team---i.e. develop your talented young Gesicki into a NFL-caliber threat---you mentor him, not throw him to the wolves. Regarding Drake, I still prefer Ajayi, but no one in Miami ever gave the guy a shot. They drafted him after the Knowshon Moreno trial went bust (along with Moreno's body and Lamar Miller), and yet they still enlisted Arian Foster because they didn't trust Ajayi, and even after Ajayi proved exceptional ability they trade him and go Drake. I like the Gore get, and can't think of a current player more capable of mentoring Drake, but really drafting Ballage has me thinking the backfield is a work-in-progress, much like Gase's ability to lead/coach. If Miami does well this year, great, and if they actually do worse than last year it would not surprise me. A lot will hinge on Gase + Tannehill, and I am not inspired by this duo. That said, I like Stills more than anyone else on the team.

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

I think, in part, it's Gase that has me worried. I'm suggest he'll rot, but I need to see more evidence that he'll coach the team into a new (i.e. winning) era. On one hand, I'm 100% in the maxim, support your coach, support the man in charge, even if he hasn't earned it yet; it's a team, and someone must lead, and for the leader to be successful there must be support and a measure of harmony. On the other hand, Gase's, "I’m done compromising with anybody. I’ll do what I think is best and those that want to come on board, great. Those that don’t, we’ll get rid of them” --- I'm not a fan of this attitude (direct quote). And I think shipping off Ajayi was a mistake. A 200-yard game is rare; two 200-yard games back-to-back shows Ajayi had something special, and if I was Gase I would've found a way to work with this specialty, rather than ship him off the following season. As Big Nate says above, Landry was also an exceptional player, and I'm not a fan of getting rid of Landry with the hopes that Parker steps up, not a fan of taking Amandola as if that's the fix, nor do I see Albert Wilson as the missing cog Miami needed. Landry wasn't just good, he was a WR who made contested catches and caused problems for defenses. Offloading Suh? I don't understand. Suh was the one guy who'd actually help out the struggling secondary by incessant pressure, and I'd think that Rashad Jones was miserable to see Suh leave. But, for my two cents, I think letting Julius Thomas go was just as big as a mistake as the other elements: while he doesn't have a ton of gas in the tank, he has more valuable experience than many TEs currently playing, and if you're looking to develop your team---i.e. develop your talented young Gesicki into a NFL-caliber threat---you mentor him, not throw him to the wolves. Regarding Drake, I still prefer Ajayi, but no one in Miami ever gave the guy a shot. They drafted him after the Knowshon Moreno trial went bust (along with Moreno's body and Lamar Miller), and yet they still enlisted Arian Foster because they didn't trust Ajayi, and even after Ajayi proved exceptional ability they trade him and go Drake. I like the Gore get, and can't think of a current player more capable of mentoring Drake, but really drafting Ballage has me thinking the backfield is a work-in-progress, much like Gase's ability to lead/coach. If Miami does well this year, great, and if they actually do worse than last year it would not surprise me. A lot will hinge on Gase + Tannehill, and I am not inspired by this duo. That said, I like Stills more than anyone else on the team.

Agree with everything except the JT take -- he's been washed up since 2015. Gase's ego is the problem.

Yeah, Gase is the issue.  A power tripping egomaniac who can't manage the locker room and can't get the most out of his guys.   Those players under the bus in the press, and tries to have a dick measuring contest on every little thing.  Can't wait for him to be gone.

I’m confident in Drake this year.  He’s too talented to keep off the field .. Reminds me a lot of Jamaal (his explosiveness, catching ability, etc) .. it took Jamaal a couple of years to break through. I see the same with Kenyan, this is his year 

3 minutes ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

I’m confident in Drake this year.  He’s too talented to keep off the field .. Reminds me a lot of Jamaal (his explosiveness, catching ability, etc) .. it took Jamaal a couple of years to break through. I see the same with Kenyan, this is his year 

I sure hope so. I'm torn on keeping Drake or not this year. I waffle back and forth. I do believe with his talent he should be getting at least 15-20 touches each game.  I'm not even worried about Gore as Gore won't be handling a significant workload this year.  He will be a great mentor for the young backs. But I do worry about Gase trying to be like hoodie and trying to out smart the other team when he really only out smarts himself.  Gase is a mess.

6 hours ago, Big Nate said:

I sure hope so. I'm torn on keeping Drake or not this year. I waffle back and forth. I do believe with his talent he should be getting at least 15-20 touches each game.  I'm not even worried about Gore as Gore won't be handling a significant workload this year.  He will be a great mentor for the young backs. But I do worry about Gase trying to be like hoodie and trying to out smart the other team when he really only out smarts himself.  Gase is a mess.

Drake will be fantastic this year. The only thing I, worried about is him busting big gain screen passes and then Gore vultures TDs while the let Drake get a breather. 

I feared this earlier on. He has never been a real workhorse back and I figured they would try to protect him and limit carries. Otherwise, he'd be a solid value with his workload. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Kenyan Drake 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic

Archived