NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kareem Hunt 2018 Outlook

Savatage79

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i have plenty of life experience in all fields that you touch on here, and sone of your points do ring true ... but the hubris of your condescending comment in parentheses renders most of your post to white noise. 

Hubris? You're the one who was talking about 'dissertations' as a way to dismiss what I was saying. Literally to dismiss--your quote was "no dissertation on psyche is gonna change that fact." Now, regardless of the fact that my post didn't talk about Greek mythology at all, you were clearly being dismissive, and it was aimed at the information I was trying to communicate.

So you tell me, how should that sentence of yours been taken?

It is curious that a personal reaction to my post makes you unable to respond to any of the rest of it. But then again that's also understandable. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Dude the police were called... If I was being questioned by police for something that I did while wasted you bet your a** I'd like to see the video. The fact that he claims he just saw the video and he didn't understand the magnitude of what he did means he just doesn't really care. 

What rights would he have to see the video? As far as he's concerned charges aren't filed so he thought it was over and done with. 6 months video he finally sees video and says omg that's what I did? It's definitely plausible. 

1 minute ago, yanksman said:

What rights would he have to see the video? As far as he's concerned charges aren't filed so he thought it was over and done with. 6 months video he finally sees video and says omg that's what I did? It's definitely plausible. 

Yep. And to point that out is not in any way to excuse his actions. 

2 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

Hubris? You're the one who was talking about 'dissertations' as a way to dismiss what I was saying. Literally to dismiss--your quote was "no dissertation on psyche is gonna change that fact." Now, regardless of the fact that my post didn't talk about Greek mythology at all, you were clearly being dismissive, and it was aimed at the information I was trying to communicate.

So you tell me, how should that sentence of yours been taken?

It is curious that a personal reaction to my post makes you unable to respond to any of the rest of it. But then again that's also understandable. 

i'm spitting the bait out, broback.  enjoy your fishing trip today with others.  

HOOK 'EM. 

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i'm spitting the bait out, broback.  enjoy your fishing trip today with others.  

HOOK 'EM. 

Fine by me. So long as you stop putting words in people's mouths today, I'm golden. 

In all seriousness, I like you and I don't want to be a jerk, so let's just agree that Hunt did horrible things in the past that aren't excused by anything he's said. And that it's very likely there are several owners and GMs in the league who spent yesterday checking their safe deposit boxes to make sure their moral standards were still safely locked away, and then put in waiver claims because money :)

Edit: although 'broback' isn't my handle. You do know that, right?

I have never seen a sorrier interview in my life...and when I say "sorrier", I mean that was just trash...

Can anyone honestly say that they believe this guy? That he's really sorry....

I love Lisa Salters. 

The only thing she didn't ask him was: "Kareem, can you just shake your head yes to confirm that the girls were there to have sex with you?"

The fact that he dodged so many different iterations of the same question is just sad...I actually think this interview made things worse.

Guilty. Glad he got caught. Hope hes gone.

5 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

this is very juvinile......this is just the way some respond when they are put in their place by the cold hard facts. i made a statement about how the hunt situation was going to unfold. i was mocked and insulted several times on this site and even called stupid for my way of thinking. i said i would be back when hunt would be suspended to let you know i was right. well unfortunatly i WAS right and i wish i wasnt. so party hardy boyce. maybe hunt has a party bus you can get on with some more drunk minor girls.....sounds like a blast for you since you are obiviliously a kid yourself.

giphy.gif

On 11/30/2018 at 10:08 PM, MJJ28 said:

NFL couldn’t acquire the video through legal channels, it was not possible. The cops thought it was a non-story, the girl had no damage done, and Hunt covered it up. What is the NFL to do? Break into the hotel and steal the tapes? You seem to be operating under the belief that the NFL saw the video, which is fairly presumptious given what we know. All reports indicate the NFL never saw the video so unless you think they are lying what was there for them to do? This is on Hunt, the assaulter and liar. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-reportedly-told-chiefs-stop-pursuing-kareem-hunt-video-024510874.html

12 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Don’t see what this has to do with my post. Are you saying the NFL saw the video and protected Hunt by telling the Chiefs to back off? Seems pretty standard to relieve the Chiefs of their duty once the big boys take over the investigation.

2 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Don’t see what this has to do with my post. Are you saying the NFL saw the video and protected Hunt by telling the Chiefs to back off? Seems pretty standard to relieve the Chiefs of their duty once the big boys take over the investigation.

According to a report from The Athletic on Saturday, the Chiefs knew that this video existed and repeatedly attempted to obtain it. The team, though, was “told by the NFL to stop pursuing it later in February once the league began its investigation.”

So the Chiefs knew it existed but the league didn't try and get it.  SURE!!!

2 minutes ago, youngrice said:

According to a report from The Athletic on Saturday, the Chiefs knew that this video existed and repeatedly attempted to obtain it. The team, though, was “told by the NFL to stop pursuing it later in February once the league began its investigation.”

So the Chiefs knew it existed but the league didn't try and get it.  SURE!!!

I haven’t seen any statement that said they didn’t try to obtain it. It literally says in the quote that they repeatedly attempted to obtain it and there are multiple other stories saying the NFL tried to get it. Get your argument straight.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:45 AM, BronXBombers51 said:

How about just don’t assault people?

Sure they’re all POS on some level. But this ain’t as bad as what Mixon and Rice did (overhand punch knocking a woman unconscious). Mixon is currently playing football. I’m guessing Hunt plays next year at some point

9 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Sure they’re all POS on some level. But this ain’t as bad as what Mixon and Rice did (overhand punch knocking a woman unconscious). Mixon is currently playing football. I’m guessing Hunt plays next year at some point

Mixon didn't lie to the Bengals (he didn't have the option, of course, it was done well before they got him).

But one factor the other teams will look at is whether they can trust a guy. That's actually why Hunt got fired, not because of the actual assault. He tells the truth, they'd likely have kept him. What future teams need to know is when their multi-million dollar dude says "I didn't hit her", they can believe him. Not true of Hunt right now.

Edit: you might still be right about him playing next year, not necessarily disagreeing there. 

20 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

One more tidbit for all you who thought the Eagles, redskins etc... would make a claim for this knucklehead 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/12/03/kareem-hunt-ex-chiefs-rb-goes-unclaimed-waivers-after-attack-video/2194145002/

Well look at that. I'm actually somewhat surprised. And pleased.

24 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

Mixon didn't lie to the Bengals (he didn't have the option, of course, it was done well before they got him).

But one factor the other teams will look at is whether they can trust a guy. That's actually why Hunt got fired, not because of the actual assault. He tells the truth, they'd likely have kept him. What future teams need to know is when their multi-million dollar dude says "I didn't hit her", they can believe him. Not true of Hunt right now.

Edit: you might still be right about him playing next year, not necessarily disagreeing there. 

So you are excusing the NFL and KC actions?  To say that they didn't know and terminated him because he lied is letting the NFL and KC off the hook.  I think what Hunt did is inexcusable,  but i refuse to believe KC or the NFL had no clue. 

I’m going to go out of my way to say, as a practicing attorney and non-Hunt owner, that the NFL is an absolute joke. There is no due process. Prosecutors would be laughed out of criminal court for attempting to charge Hunt with ANYTHING. This is a massive massive stretch for even a civil assault. Absolutely no surprise that no charges were filed.

In America, an “attempt” is criminalized. But none of you with any confidence can say what Hunt was “attempting” to do. Would he have pushed her on the ground? Brutally beaten her? Got up to her face and yelled at her? Restrained her and called the police for her actual assault on him (she punches him in the face first). The most popular narrative is “oh my goodness imagine if this monster wasn’t restrained.” Cases aren’t won with your imagination. Criminal Attempts (attempted murdered or battery) are charged only when someone tries to do something and misses. If you shoot someone and miss. If you throw a punch at someone and miss. 

Which brings me to my rant about the NFL. Most professional sports leagues have intricate appeal and hearing processes to protect due process rights. The NFL is run like a dictatorship. Selective outrage tells us what we care about on a given day. Heck, even if the NFL gave Hunt a hearing to defend himself, by a meager preponderance by of the evidence standard, I would be satisfied. But that video is not enough on its face to warrant this type of response.

And I’ll say something here that won’t get positive feedback, but I’ve wondered because of my experience. Are the folks who are outraged by that video and calling it a brutal beating truly folks who would be afraid if Hunt were not the “angry black man?” If he was white, and he was held back as Hunt was, would people just view it as two drunk idiots yelling and screaming? 

Maybe a hearing with process finds Hunt culpable even on a more likely than not standard that he acted in a fashion unbecoming of an NFL player or whatever the heck that label is called these days. Maybe. Maybe he was right and he can call witnesses, maybe that girl herself, that corroborates that she said those terrible racial slurs that set him off. Maybe that mitigates some of it. But it’s sad how reactively all parties were. Completely and totally reactive. I’m not excusing Hunt here. But that young lady was not criminally assaulted. Not in the United States. That nudge with his foot absolutely isn’t enough. This isn’t Ray Rice, black and white, no questions asked.

Hunt is a fool, but this country legislates for fools. No one is perfect. And this country does not criminalize what he did. That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be suspended or lose his job. But to lose his job/career possibly without a hearing, in a reactive fashion just so the NFL can PRETEND to care about women bugs me. They weren’t this reactive when Irsay for popped for driving under the influence of oxy, endangering actually human beings.

Sanctimonious joke all around.

Oh, and I will add, that what Hunt did IS excusable. In criminal court if he pushed her or restrained her to stop her from attacking him. She punched him in the face. The law does require the jury to weigh the threat to the party claiming self-defense, but if the extent of his defense was to restrain or stop her without hurting her, and the cops tell you she had no injuries, did he not arguably defend himself?

Since many here want to completely destroy Hunt and pretend that’s he’s some thug, idiot, criminal, want to hold him to a criminal standard, he benefits from criminal defenses too. Heck, he benefits from CIVIL DEFENSES. Self-defense is also one. Rage caused by being called a racial slur is also one. Those are all actual defenses in real people court.

Legally there are plenty of “excuses” for what he did.

Archived