NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

12 hours ago, fruitjacket said:

Gronk contemplated retirement during the offseason.  I think he knew/knows he's just about wiped out.

He was a total beast during his heyday, but he's just too beat up I think.  Hopefully he was smart enough to save some $$.

"Smart" and "Gronk" usually don't go together, but he got good advice somewhere. 

I've read that he banks all his football salary and only lives off his endorsement money. So I think he's in good shape ROL. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the best question you can possibly ask yourself. In any given draft scenario or strategy discussion, this is the question you should be asking yourself, and only you can decide what's bes

225 Fantasy points in 13 games.  He was averaging 17.3 Points Per Game. 4 WRs had higher than 17.3 PPG.  AB, Hop, OBJ, and K.Allen. 8 RBs had higher than 17.3 PPG.  Gurley, Bell, Zeke, Kamar

26 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

This is good news. Rest this week. Rest bye week. Come back week 12 and beast. Just in time for the FF playoffs. 

Agreed, this is a good thing. Heal up for the FF playoffs, helps no one for him to be a shell of himself out there with injuries.

Edited by vercrazy
On 11/8/2018 at 4:13 PM, cizastro said:

Does anyone have concern about Gronk looking forward in dynasty/keeper leagues.  I know there was talk about him hanging it up in the offseason this past year and with his continued back issues I wonder if that will impact him moving forward? 

I think he should just rest and get 100% and come back after the bye personally, but I'm more worried about his long-term value.

If you still can, I would move him ASAP to a contender who has a chance of winning this year. I'm not touching Gronk again after this season.

Edited by fredth3cat
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, jtbgator said:

This is good news. Rest this week. Rest bye week. Come back week 12 and beast. Just in time for the FF playoffs. 

and then right before the week 12 game

"Rob Gronkowski was not seen during practice this week. Is listed as doubtful for the week 12 match up."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Not going to happen unless there is something seriously, structurally wrong with Gronk's back. If it's just nagging injuries, Gronk has a lot of incentives in his contract to play for this season.

And if he were to hit IR, that's it. He's done. He almost retired last offseason. 

The tight end can earn a maximum of $3.3 million by achieving three of the four following incentives: $1.1 million for 70 or more catches, $1.1 million for 80% playing time, $1.1 million for nine or more touchdown catches and $1.1 million for 1,085 receiving yards. Gronkowski's base salary will remain at $8 million but could increase to $13.3 million with the incentives, per Schefter.

Those incentives. Not going to happen. Not a single one. 

I think the Patriots got too cute with his injuries.  There was zero reason to play him the Buffalo game.  He could have sat out, and had nearly a month to get healthy.  Instead they had him out their blocking DTs.  If they can't beat the Bills (!!!!) without him, they aren't a playoff team.

So disappointing. Every time I think of Gronk now I think of who else I could have drafted in the 2nd round instead. Could have had a useful starter. Gronk has done nothing for owners all season outside of the 1st week. Thankfully Kittle paid off as a late round flyer.

1 hour ago, RevisAteMyQB said:

Does this loss make it more obvious to the coaching staff that Gronk needs to be out there? Here's hoping he's back fresh after the bye.

they have a pretty excellent record without gronk

Does this loss make it more obvious to the coaching staff that Gronk needs to be out there? Here's hoping he's back fresh after the bye.

Don't think it has any impact whatsoever.

What difference does it make if this makes them think Gronk needs to be out there? They gonna put a band-aid on his back and tell him to suck it up? He's injured and can't play. 

Any Pats homers have some additional insight into his struggles this year? I'm trying to decide if he's a good buy-low guy if he can come back healthy after the bye week, or has he just looked bad because the offense as a whole hasn't been in sync? I'm not really sure what to think of his outlook for the second half of this season coming out of the bye week and having a few games to rest up.

Edited by GoPackGo23
1 minute ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Any Pats homers have some additional insight into his struggles this year? I'm trying to decide if he's a good buy-low guy if he can come back healthy after the bye week, or has he just looked bad because the offense as a whole hasn't been in sync? I'm not really sure what to think of his outlook for the second half of this season coming out of the bye week and having a few games to rest up.

TE roulette is more productive at this point as you can pick up Watson for free and use him when there are games that require Brees to throw a bit or pick up Bronco's dude. 

18 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

TE roulette is more productive at this point as you can pick up Watson for free and use him when there are games that require Brees to throw a bit or pick up Bronco's dude. 

I mean with BYE weeks almost done good depth isn't that useful anymore so if I could turn some of that into Gronk I think that is a savvy move and has a much higher upside than TE roulette while a similar downside. He is one of my favorite buy-low targets since he has matchup winning potential in the playoffs at fantasy's weakest position. I admit the odds of him being the Gronk we all know and love look fairly slim due to his combination of ankle and back injuries as well as his less than stellar usage all season long however, if you can get him for the right price (i.e. without moving any of your core players and/or significantly downgrading at a starting spot) I think he is a great lotto ticket. Even if he isn't an elite TE odds are he'll be a weekly top 5 option based on his projected workload and role in a strong offense and has the 1 game upside as high as any TE.    

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 1