NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

12 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

I can't wait till he feasts in the coming weeks and helps the believers to a championship. Bye week came at the perfect time for him to rest up and get healthy. First game of this season, not last season or many centuries ago, he put up 7/123/1. It's totally reasonable to think he still has that in him. Recency bias is so prominent in these threads it is really quite fascinating. Exhibit A: Leonard Fournette thread. Exhibit B: Gronk thread.

While recency bias is insanely prominent on this forum, those two aren't the best example. Both have had huge injury concern over the last few years which is why the threads tend to be so negative. Both Gronk and Fournette are extremely injury prone. A better example of recency bias on this forum would be the DJ thread. Looks slow and not good anymore... Alright... 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1
  • Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the best question you can possibly ask yourself. In any given draft scenario or strategy discussion, this is the question you should be asking yourself, and only you can decide what's bes

225 Fantasy points in 13 games.  He was averaging 17.3 Points Per Game. 4 WRs had higher than 17.3 PPG.  AB, Hop, OBJ, and K.Allen. 8 RBs had higher than 17.3 PPG.  Gurley, Bell, Zeke, Kamar

Well I don't really have any cause to drop him. And I don't have any cause to start him either. Here is to hoping he lights the world on fire during the fantasy playoffs this season. ;)

7 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Leveon Bell

Fournette

Nah, I'd say wasting a 2nd round pick on a TIGHT END is a disaster.

At least with Bell/Fournette, Conner or other RB's could've made up for the loss. 

2 hours ago, Pooskay said:

At least with Bell/Fournette, Conner or other RB's could've made up for the loss. 

My second round pick at #30 was Kelce. How'd I do? :) And Saquon at 11 holla.

Edited by Mikeyvegas
3 hours ago, Pooskay said:

Actually the idea behind drafting Gronk-level TE was sound, it just turned out he was the wrong TE. Having a top TE (Ertz or Kelce) has been an enormous advantage this season and easily worthy of a second round pick. For exactly the reasons you mention in your second sentence. 

• Thanks 1
On 11/15/2018 at 12:47 PM, championship or bust said:

bust of the year?

I think he is definitely in the conversation especially since it hasn't just been injuries but ineffectiveness. An argument can be made for Bell or Fournette since they went earlier but if you got their handcuffs you didn't really miss a beat (I'm not sure if it is "proper" to consider handcuffs in bust of the year though). Freeman and Cook are probably closer since they've been disappointing but their handcuffs haven't been as clean (Murray has been hit or miss and Coleman was a relatively high pick so greater likelihood you missed out on him). McCoy and Howard had slightly later ADPs than Gronk and have been fairly disappointing thus far too. 

Given Gronk's injury history some may have drafted and/or picked up another TE in the earlier going and several have emerged so there is a chance Kittle, Ebron, Hooper, Cook or Howard cushioned the loss. 

On 11/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, championship or bust said:

bust of the year?

Potentially.

I think Bell is the clear front runner but at he was not actively hurting peoples teams playing crappy when people started him cause.... nobody started him. Could make an argument for Jordan Howard who was being drafted as a back end RB1 and is not even a top 25 RB on the season with a crazy low floor. Also could make an argument for Fournette. *Maybe* Lesean McCoy but I have feeling people benched him fairly early in the season.

Edited by metalmat

My draft went Bell, Gronk, McKinnon, Baldwin, DThomas. (I know... it's bad. I don't want to talk about it). The biggest bust is definitely very hard for me to choose between Gronk and Bell, but they are the only two who should be in contention in my (possibly biased) opinion.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:59 PM, '71 Bucks said:

Actually the idea behind drafting Gronk-level TE was sound, it just turned out he was the wrong TE. Having a top TE (Ertz or Kelce) has been an enormous advantage this season and easily worthy of a second round pick. For exactly the reasons you mention in your second sentence. 

So basically you're saying that the sound idea is: "all you have to do is draft the guy that will have a huge points advantage over every other player as his position!"

Wow thanks for the insight!

Unfortunately you have to be able to correctly identify the right players as well.

He was dropped in my 12 team league. I probably should have put a waiver in for him. He ended up going to the team with the 3rd to last waiver priority. I just think as of now he's too much of a risk to play due to his health. I'd be afraid of playing him in the playoffs and having him exit with an early in-game injury.

Oh man, dropped?  How the mighty have fallen.  That's probably a pretty dumb move, though.  I think the Pats are just giving Gronkowski plenty of rest so he can play full games in the build-up to the playoffs.

But Gronk never should have agreed to incentives.  Seems like he will hit about none of them.

4 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Gronk is coming back just in time to be a pain in the a** for me. I have Jared Cook as well and will now spend every week wondering which one to play.

I  have Gronk/Cook also and I can't wait to bench Cook for Gronk. Cook did his job on Sunday, but a mediocore Gronk is still better than Cook and the other TE options out there and has potential to be back to being one of the top 3-4 TEs in the NFL ROS. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Gronk is coming back just in time to be a pain in the a** for me. I have Jared Cook as well and will now spend every week wondering which one to play.

5 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

I  have Gronk/Cook also and I can't wait to bench Cook for Gronk. Cook did his job on Sunday, but a mediocore Gronk is still better than Cook and the other TE options out there and has potential to be back to being one of the top 3-4 TEs in the NFL ROS. 

Same issues I'm having. Reed on Thursday vs Dallas or the dreaded Gronk wait for Sunday. Blah.

3 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Same issues I'm having. Reed on Thursday vs Dallas or the dreaded Gronk wait for Sunday. Blah.

That's a tough decision. Reed is finally starting to break out and you never can trust Gronk. Unless you could afford to roster a 3rd TE, you may have to choose Reed. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

That's a tough decision. Reed is finally starting to break out and you never can trust Gronk. Unless you could afford to roster a 3rd TE, you may have to choose Reed. 

Agree. I've already made up my mind. Sticking with Reed.