NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rob Gronkowski 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

If you believe, like I do, that his fall off in production was health related than there is a good chance that taking a month off will do the trick.

It will do the trick once he gets hit hard again. Chronic health issues will not get cured by taking a month off.

• Like 2
  • Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the best question you can possibly ask yourself. In any given draft scenario or strategy discussion, this is the question you should be asking yourself, and only you can decide what's bes

225 Fantasy points in 13 games.  He was averaging 17.3 Points Per Game. 4 WRs had higher than 17.3 PPG.  AB, Hop, OBJ, and K.Allen. 8 RBs had higher than 17.3 PPG.  Gurley, Bell, Zeke, Kamar

2 minutes ago, krest509 said:

Will either be a decoy, with limited rep or he’ll take a hit and go out on the side line 

patriot should rest him for the playoff stretch 

Exactly. Unless the 2012 Mayan Calendar prediction was 6 years off and the universe starts altering causing the Patriots to actually have to contend for a playoff spot for once there is no reason for them to rush Gronk back. Keep him fresh.

10 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Are people rolling with Gronk without a backup plan till the end of the season?

Lost OJ and now I can't help but feel like Kramer when he test driving a car.

H5I0c6.gif

Gronk is my backup. Thank God Reed has shown life.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

H5I0c6.gif

Same situation. Grabbed Brate.

No amount of rest is going to cure or heal a guy that’s washed up. It pains me to say that as he could dominate like few at the position could especially in his era. He was an absolute beast in his prime (the only year I won in my league I picked him in the first round. Cool story right? Thanks!) but those days are gone. 

I think the Patriots willingness to sweeten his deal with potential bonus incentives (nowhere close to hitting any) to hopefully get the most out of him and then ultimately trying to trade him before the season was very telling. 

With that said I hope I’m wrong and he has some more Gronk smashes left. 

gronk-dance-spike.gif

2 hours ago, jtbgator said:
2 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

H5I0c6.gif

Gronk is my backup. Thank God Reed has shown life.

And Gronk is my insurance policy for Kittle now. Sad but true.

4 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Still limited on the injury report today.

Jeesh.

Hopkins has been limited every week. I expect Gronk to be limited every week the rest of the year, regardless of how he plays on Sundays. They are just trying to keep him healthy at this point. 

Didn't do much beyond his 34 yard TD. He had two additional RZ targets that I saw though, so that is encouraging after not seeing a single RZ target since week 1. Teams are triple teaming him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jtbgator said:

5/10. He’s lucky he got that TD last week. I’m still rolling with Reed over Gronk ROS.

He's lucky he got that TD? He also had 2 deep looks in the EZ that didn't connect. 

He also got unlucky that his first game back was also a game in which Brady thew only 31 times (2nd fewest all season). The Pats pretty much cruised to the win and Gronk still put up decent numbers. If anything his owners got unlucky this past week. I think we are looking at some big games from him down the stretch. 

The only concern, at least for me, with Gronk was his health, but he played 69/70 snaps so that appears to be behind him...for now.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

He's lucky he got that TD? He also had 2 deep looks in the EZ that didn't connect. 

He also got unlucky that his first game back was also a game in which Brady thew only 31 times (2nd fewest all season). The Pats pretty much cruised to the win and Gronk still put up decent numbers. If anything his owners got unlucky this past week. I think we are looking at some big games from him down the stretch. 

The only concern, at least for me, with Gronk was his health, but he played 69/70 snaps so that appears to be behind him...for now.  

There wasn't much luck involved with that TD. Typical Gronk seam route and a great grab while being knocked around.

He was also targeted in the endzone a couple times which was a good sign. What wasn't a good sign was Brady throwing two uncatchable throws. Gronk's game could have been huge if Brady is his usual Brady self on either one of those.

My bigger question is, do I feel comfortable enough with Gronk to bail on my backup TE? I picked up Brate who looks solid, but I have other needs I've got to deal with heading into the playoffs. Who is running with Gronk solo vs. having a backup? A backup TE is quite the luxury. And with the likes of J. Smith, G. Everett, and other randoms on the wire, I may ditch Brate.