NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justus Sheffield - SP NYY

40 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

With the talk of Sonny Gray possibly being pulled from the rotation, there's new hope for Sheffield to get a look as a starter at the big league level. 

Who knows what they will ultimately do, but it makes sense to me to give the kid a chance to sink or swim sooner rather than later. They are 5.5 games back at the moment and if Sheffield has the poise/makeup to handle the promotion, it could be a big shot in the arm for the Yankees. If he struggles, they're really no worse off than they were with Gray, and at least they have a better idea of what they have down the stretch. 

It wouldn't be surprising if they go with Lance Lynn since they traded for him.  It's still possible that they go with Sheffield I suppose, which is what I would obviously do, but I'm not running their team of course.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted 15 hours ago by a local NY paper:   https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-subway-series-1.20052197   “If the Yankees fail to trade for a starter before the

Sheffield has a 1.71 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 51:18 K:BB in 52.2 innings over his last 10 starts for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He has really turned things on of late, and currently has a streak of s

Just promoted to AAA. 39 K in 28 ip at AA, and 2.25 ERA. He might be pushing for a 2018 position in the Yanks Rotation! 

Unless Sheffield is "working on things" at the AAA level where we're purposefully not seeing his best self as he works to sharpen things - his numbers just don't match the hype.   His raw numbers on any other team probably have him in the 70+ range in rankings and seen as a back of rotation starter. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze
1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Unless Sheffield is "working on things" at the AAA level where we're purposefully not seeing his best self as he works to sharpen things - his numbers just don't match the hype.   His raw numbers on any other team probably have him in the 70+ range in rankings and seen as a back of rotation starter. 

ERA in the low 2s, nearly a K per inning, keeps the ball in the yard. I guess you'd like to see a few more Ks and a few less walks but what kind of numbers do you think it takes to justify "the hype"?

• Like 1

Was just listening to Cashman on the radio. He was asked if Sheff was ready. He said he was "capable" whatever that means. Its just my guess but to me it doesn't sound like anything is imminent regarding a call up. Though it still wouldnt shock me if he gets called up sometime considering Cash is pretty tight lipped in revealing anything so we'll see. They seem to be content, for now at least, with the crumb bum Cessa in the rotation. At least until Happ returns. Lynn replaces Gray. So Severino, Tanaka, Lynn, CC, Cessa for now it seems. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DidiFan said:

Was just listening to Cashman on the radio. He was asked if Sheff was ready. He said he was "capable" whatever that means. Its just my guess but to me it doesn't sound like anything is imminent regarding a call up. Though it still wouldnt shock me if he gets called up sometime considering Cash is pretty tight lipped in revealing anything so we'll see. They seem to be content, for now at least, with the crumb bum Cessa in the rotation. At least until Happ returns. Lynn replaces Gray. So Severino, Tanaka, Lynn, CC, Cessa for now it seems. 

That puts a lot of weight on a slumping Severino's shoulders. Maybe Tanaka too, but I say maybe since I don't know what he's done lately.

Cessa pitched tonight out of the bullpen though, so I'm guessing he's not in the rotation.

Edited by KilloWertz
19 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

That puts a lot of weight on a slumping Severino's shoulders. Maybe Tanaka too, but I say maybe since I don't know what he's done lately.

Cessa pitched tonight out of the bullpen though, so I'm guessing he's not in the rotation.

Welp so much for Cessa he was supposed to start Saturday but the Yanks needed him to toss some BP in the blowout. I'm not sure what they do for Saturday now honestly. Sheff wouldnt be an option anyway since he pitched tonight.

Looks like it will in fact be Lance Lynn replacing Sonny Gray in the rotation for now. Happ is on the DL but doesn't figure to miss much time.

Obviously this weekend is huge for the Yankees. They're 6.5 games back with 3 games in Fenway on deck. 

As far as Sheffield is concerned, I wonder if falling further back of the Red Sox actually creates LESS incentive to call him up?

Edited by mjb03003
7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Awww, sniffles...  but it doesn't matter much since they haven't called him up yet.

I'm just guessing but I think they may have called him to pitch yesterday but he had already gone a couple days before. I think Thursday. And dammit somebody has to conduct this hype train!

7 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

I'm just guessing but I think they may have called him to pitch yesterday but he had already gone a couple days before. I think Thursday. And dammit somebody has to conduct this hype train!

I'd love it if they called him up to actually start sometime soon.  It would be interesting to see.

• Like 1
Sheffield has a 1.71 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 51:18 K:BB in 52.2 innings over his last 10 starts for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

He has really turned things on of late, and currently has a streak of six straight starts where he has allowed one run or less. Sheffield still walks a few too many batters, but opposing hitters are hitting just .191 against him this year and he has given up three home runs in 102 innings, which has allowed him to prevent runs at an excellent clip. Had his schedule lined up, Sheffield may have received a callup over Chance Adams for the spot start Aug. 4, but things did not align on that occasion. Lance Lynn has pitched well lately, so there isn't an immediate opening in the big-league rotation. It's possible Sheffield could join the big club in September to work as a multi-inning reliever, but that would require adding him to the 40-man roster.

- CBS sports 8/9/18

• Like 3
2 hours ago, STLSU said:

CC loves him some Sheffield.  Unfortunately Cessa is back in the rotation instead.

Another case of caring more about not wanting to do extra work than giving your team the best chance to win.

• Like 1

Brian Cashman told Mike Francesca on his radio spot that Justus Sheffield will pitch for the Yankees at some point in 2018.

"You’ll see him pitching in here in New York whether it’s as a rotation guy or out of the bullpen at some point I would expect in 2018," Cashman told Francesca. Sheffield has pitched well for Triple-A Scranton Wilkes/Barre all year; but has been particularly dominant as of late as he hasn't allowed more than an earned run in a start since June 22.

• Like 2

He looks destined for bullpen work when the rosters expand, barring major suckage of two or more of the starters in the near future... which is possible.  But Cessa and Adams will more than likely get there chance to flop first.

Edited by Travis C.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...