NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Jets 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

https://nypost.com/2018/03/18/beginning-to-narrow-down-which-top-qb-jets-will-draft/

Now, the Jets have a shot to get their man. Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are viewed in various orders as the top quarterbacks in this draft. This trade tells you the Jets have three of them rated nearly equal. I would suspect those are Darnold, Allen and Rosen because Mayfield does not fit the profile of what Maccagnan usually looks for in a quarterback.

This has nothing to do with the off-field concerns about Mayfield, although those probably don’t help. But at 6-feet tall, he is short for a quarterback, and Maccagnan likes big pocket passers with monster arms. Darnold and Rosen are 6-4.

Look at the quarterbacks Maccagnan has brought to the Jets as GM. The smallest are Ryan Fitzpatrick and Teddy Bridgewater, who are both 6-2. Christian Hackenberg and Josh McCown are both 6-4, and Bryce Petty is 6-3.

It is premature to say Mayfield has been ruled out, but I would think he is the long shot of the group.

Just going by the big-frame/big-arm model that Maccagnan has shown he has liked, Wyoming’s Josh Allen would be the top prospect. He is 6-5 and can throw the ball a mile. The problem is you don’t always know where it’s going. Allen had a career completion percentage of 56 percent.

That's via Brian Costello. 

Per Peter King: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-free-agency-guaranteed-contract-mmqb-peter-king

That’s why it’s folly to say the Jets overpaid. What New York has done, in the wake of losing Kirk Cousins to the Vikings in last week’s free-agency derby, is settle for its second-best quarterback option. The Jets have assured themselves of one of the top four passers in the draft—either Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen. My money’s on Mayfield, who could go from the pride of Norman to Broadway Baker.

Pro days for Darnold and Allen still to come. 

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New York Jets 2018 Season Outlook Significant Draft Picks: 6, 37, 49 (From Seattle), 103 Cap space:  72M Cap space after likely cuts (Wilkerson, Skrine): 88M  2017 Record: 5-11 

Their coach is Hue Jackson.    It's not impossible. 

"alleviated concerns about his 56.2 completion percentage at Wyoming"  How exactly, with a choreographed throwing practice session?  

If they get a Carson Wentz, it was a bargain.  If they get a Joey Harrington, they overpaid.       The price will not matter one iota if they hit on the pick.  Nobody's going to go back two years from now and say "You know, they really should've hung onto that extra third rounder, could've gotten Mayfield for a lot less" if he wins ROTY and makes 2 pro bowls.        

Maybe we'll see a repeat of 2011 where all these meh QB's go in the first as teams overreact.     There just needs to be one unexpected team dealing up into the mix to put a fly in the ointment, or a monkey in the wrench, then suddenly Buffalo or Arizona is stuck taking Rudolph in the top 15.   

6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Maybe we'll see a repeat of 2011 where all these meh QB's go in the first as teams overreact.     There just needs to be one unexpected team dealing up into the mix to put a fly in the ointment, or a monkey in the wrench, then suddenly Buffalo or Arizona is stuck taking Rudolph in the top 15.   

Most 1st round QB's are "meh" QB's. Teams push QB's much higher than they should be drafted because of how valuable the position is. Wouldn't be surprised to see 6 or 7 go in the 1st round this year.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

Most 1st round QB's are "meh" QB's. Teams push QB's much higher than they should be drafted because of how valuable the position is. Wouldn't be surprised to see 6 or 7 go in the 1st round this year.

Yep.  While I dont consider myself a "fan", I live in Buffalo, and I secretly hope they dont take one just for the apoplectic freakouts, only years later to see that all of them suck except the #1 overall guy that they couldn't get.    I just dont see anything that looks so amazing in any of these guys.   I'm sure one will pop and be a winner, but its anyone's guess who that will be.   Meanwhile, some guy nobody's considering as a top 6 QB will turn into a solid starter down the road for the patient team who grabs him later on.

6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Yep.  While I dont consider myself a "fan", I live in Buffalo, and I secretly hope they dont take one just for the apoplectic freakouts, only years later to see that all of them suck except the #1 overall guy that they couldn't get.    I just dont see anything that looks so amazing in any of these guys.   I'm sure one will pop and be a winner, but its anyone's guess who that will be.   Meanwhile, some guy nobody's considering as a top 6 QB will turn into a solid starter down the road for the patient team who grabs him later on.

Exactly... Rosen, Allen, Darnold, Mayfield what are the chances all four pan out very slim maybe 2/4 which means two teams are whiffing in the top ten that being said you still need to take a swing.. 

Yeah, i guess, with the ammo they have, they can easily get to #2 or 4, so they almost have to.   But, that only is possible if the Giants or Browns will make the move, AND a Denver or someone else doesn't get it first.  

I would rather let Webb develop another year behind Eli than use a 1.02 pick on a QB 

No “sure thing” QBs in this class ... especially with guys like Nelson/Barkley on the board 

Apparently Jets traded up because they are convinced the Giants are not going QB 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/offensive-weapon-jets-targeted-missed-article-1.3883545?utm_content=buffer33e67&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

Two things:

-Jets made a strong run for McKinnon, but Mehta notes that even if they signed McKinnon, they still would have gone after Crowell. Would have formed a McKinnon-Crowell backfield with Powell likely cut.

-Also were interested in Richburg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/coveted-defensive-players-jets-couldn-sign-article-1.3883685?utm_content=buffer8c88b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

-Defensively, NYJ were interested in Mingo and DaQuan Jones.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894
2 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I would rather let Webb develop another year behind Eli than use a 1.02 pick on a QB 

No “sure thing” QBs in this class ... especially with guys like Nelson/Barkley on the board 

Apparently Jets traded up because they are convinced the Giants are not going QB 

Gettleman's role in this is intriguing.   The Jets had to have made the same offer to him for the 2nd pick, but, here we are.  Why he passed is the crucial question

2 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

36 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

This has Allen written all over it

Jets management hates Manish Mehta.  They're probably feeding him nonsense and they have Mayfield #3 on their board.

7 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Anyone see Bridgewaters actual contract? We're paying him potentially pennies. Just a $500k signing bonus and the $5M is not guaranteed. He has to hit a lot of incentives.

The $6 Million "incentive" is him making the team.  He an make more if he makes incentives. ...believe up to $15 Million.  So not as cheap as you think.

Edited by StuPitt

Teddy Bridgewater's one-year, $6 million deal with the Jets contains just $500,000 guaranteed.

The only guaranteed portion of the deal is Teddy's $500K signing bonus. The base value of the one-year contract is $6 million with another $9 million available in incentives, which seem increasingly unlikely for Bridgewater to reach after the Jets traded up to the No. 3 overall pick, almost certainly targeting a quarterback. It's not out of the question that the Jets could end up releasing Bridgewater before the season and going with the rookie and Josh McCown.

(emphasis mine)

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Gettleman's role in this is intriguing.   The Jets had to have made the same offer to him for the 2nd pick, but, here we are.  Why he passed is the crucial question

Why he passed: Saquon Barkley 

Read Shurmur and his quotes regarding their RB outlook ... Barkley, Odell, Shepard, Engram <evil laugh> 

11 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Teddy Bridgewater's one-year, $6 million deal with the Jets contains just $500,000 guaranteed.

The only guaranteed portion of the deal is Teddy's $500K signing bonus. The base value of the one-year contract is $6 million with another $9 million available in incentives, which seem increasingly unlikely for Bridgewater to reach after the Jets traded up to the No. 3 overall pick, almost certainly targeting a quarterback. It's not out of the question that the Jets could end up releasing Bridgewater before the season and going with the rookie and Josh McCown.

(emphasis mine)

10 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Basically he's only getting paid 5M if he makes the team.  If he starts and hits all the incentives he can get 14.5M.

Nice. Seems like we've provided ourselves with some roster flexibility and didn't tie our hands one way or the other which is definitely a positive. We can play a wait and see approach and have things develop naturally before making any official decisions. 

5 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Why he passed: Saquon Barkley 

Read Shurmur and his quotes regarding their RB outlook ... Barkley, Odell, Shepard, Engram <evil laugh> 

Yep, this is the likeliest reason.  Or, maybe its just too early to say yes or no to Barkley, either way, and the Jets didnt want to wait it out and locked in # 3 instead.       Other theory- they were aware that the Jets would swipe #3, and therefore driving up their price for #2

5 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Jets management hates Manish Mehta.  They're probably feeding him nonsense and they have Mayfield #3 on their board.

After the debacle of Hackenberg, they'd be crazy to take a project Allen.

Best case scenario for Jets is if the Browns take Allen and the Giants take Barkley.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear even more things coming from the Jets side how much they like Allen and his big arm.

• tonycpsu changed the title to New York Jets 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic