NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Jets 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

23 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

So either they're really smart, or really...really...really dumb.

My money is on them picking Mayfield.

Big what if but what if Darnold makes it to 3? 

Say Allen and Barkley go 1 and 2. 

If Darnold is there at 3, what do the Jets do then?

• Like 1
  • Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New York Jets 2018 Season Outlook Significant Draft Picks: 6, 37, 49 (From Seattle), 103 Cap space:  72M Cap space after likely cuts (Wilkerson, Skrine): 88M  2017 Record: 5-11 

Their coach is Hue Jackson.    It's not impossible. 

"alleviated concerns about his 56.2 completion percentage at Wyoming"  How exactly, with a choreographed throwing practice session?  

3 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9869905

Smell like cabbage

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

They are taking Mayfield regardless. He's the one & only reason they made that trade. Remember the timing. They knew Darnold would be gone and who knows about 2?  But they knew Mayfield would definitely be there at 3.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:46 AM, South Carolina said:

They are taking Mayfield regardless. He's the one & only reason they made that trade. Remember the timing. They knew Darnold would be gone and who knows about 2?  But they knew Mayfield would definitely be there at 3.

That makes no sense.  If a player you thought would be gone is available for your pick, you don't avoid picking him because you thought you'd be picking someone else.

The Jets made that trade because they were comfortable drafting Mayfield.  But that doesn't mean they have to.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

That makes no sense.  If a player you thought would be gone is available for your pick, you don't avoid picking him because you thought you'd be picking someone else.

The Jets made that trade because they were comfortable drafting Mayfield.  But that doesn't mean they have to.

Agreed, you can't do all that without having the chance at 1 of 2 guys you like in the same tier.

Edited by beotos
On 4/20/2018 at 6:16 PM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

They take him, and it’s not even close.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:16 PM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

They run to the podium and turn in the card for Darnold.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2018 at 2:34 PM, 96mnc said:

I thought Hackenberg was worth a shot in the 3rd round to see if his issues (awareness, pocket feel, and mechanics) could be cleaned up with coaching.  Same with Allen.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:10 PM, Iron-cock said:

I think it's ok to blow a pick on a player hoping you can "fix" them, but to Joshua's point it seems to be rare that a QB whose accuracy doesn't improve over time in college actually gets better in the NFL.

With Hackenberg there was a believable narrative though (coaching change). 

Blow a third rounder...sure.  Blow a top 10 pick?  Not sure I'd want to do that. 

I've come around a bit on Josh Allen.  I went back and watched a few of his games (charted one), and rewatched the combine and senior bowl.   I took a look at why he succeeds and fails, and I can see why GM's would consider taking him with a premium pick.

I'm wondering if coaches can take some of the compulsion to play hero ball out of him.   Not all of it, he's great when he breaks the pocket and gets a chance to reset and throw...if he'd just cut out some of the really silly stuff.

As far as I can tell he's been the best player on every offense he's been on.  At Wyoming, Juco and his high school.  I'd like to see him in an offense where his WR's are actually competent and his line can protect him a bit.  

3 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

I've come around a bit on Josh Allen.  I went back and watched a few of his games (charted one), and rewatched the combine and senior bowl.   I took a look at why he succeeds and fails, and I can see why GM's would consider taking him with a premium pick.

I'm wondering if coaches can take some of the compulsion to play hero ball out of him.   Not all of it, he's great when he breaks the pocket and gets a chance to reset and throw...if he'd just cut out some of the really silly stuff.

As far as I can tell he's been the best player on every offense he's been on.  At Wyoming, Juco and his high school.  I'd like to see him in an offense where his WR's are actually competent and his line can protect him a bit.  

His performance when pressured is Gabbert-esque. That's hard to fix.

22 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

His performance when pressured is Gabbert-esque. That's hard to fix.

From what I've seen, it depends how he's pressured.  He is fine when he breaks the pocket and rolls out.  I'd even say he's remarkably good at rolling out and hitting a target downfield.  Allen is also fine when he can step up into the pocket. 

He is frequently looking to go long when under pressure.  He's the anti-Alex Smith.  That's part of why his stats look bad, but it's also part of what makes him a great prospect.

When he can't escape, and he can't step up he will try to throw the ball anyway and use his arm strength to "bail himself out".  Sometimes that leads to a big play, but it also gets him into a lot of trouble.

If he were more willing to quit on plays it would go a long way to cutting down on his mistakes.

Allen has other issues he has to fix too:

1. Become more aware of game situations.  Down, distance score.  Adjust your risk/reward throws appropriately.

2. Take what the defense gives you.

3. Improve pocket awareness/internal clock.   

4. Lose the jump pass.

5. Learn how to throw a screen pass.

All of that said, he's got a ceiling that is higher than any of the other quarterbacks.

9 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

From what I've seen, it depends how he's pressured.  He is fine when he breaks the pocket and rolls out.  I'd even say he's remarkably good at rolling out and hitting a target downfield.  Allen is also fine when he can step up into the pocket. 

He is frequently looking to go long when under pressure.  He's the anti-Alex Smith.  That's part of why his stats look bad, but it's also part of what makes him a great prospect.

When he can't escape, and he can't step up he will try to throw the ball anyway and use his arm strength to "bail himself out".  Sometimes that leads to a big play, but it also gets him into a lot of trouble.

If he were more willing to quit on plays it would go a long way to cutting down on his mistakes.

Allen has other issues he has to fix too:

1. Become more aware of game situations.  Down, distance score.  Adjust your risk/reward throws appropriately.

2. Take what the defense gives you.

3. Improve pocket awareness/internal clock.   

4. Lose the jump pass.

5. Learn how to throw a screen pass.

All of that said, he's got a ceiling that is higher than any of the other quarterbacks.

That's a LOT of stuff to clean up.   Do you really want to invest a top 5 pick in hope that you can correct all of that?  You basically just listed all of the qualities of a QB that lacks feel for the nuance of game.

The deal breaker for me is #3.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

That's a LOT of stuff to clean up.   Do you really want to invest a top 5 pick in hope that you can correct all of that?  You basically just listed all of the qualities of a QB that lacks feel for the nuance of game.

That is my stance as well. He is very much a developmental prospect with all the physical traits coaches drool over. Those guys aren't often going in the 1st round with all of those question marks. Usually they have 1 or 2 of those, but not 5+. I'm a bit baffled as to why a developmental prospect like Josh Allen has shot so far up draft boards and has been considered a top-5 pick.

I won't say it is the same, but I remember when Geno Smith came out and a lot were projecting him to be a 1st rounder and top-10 pick. And clearly NFL teams had done their homework and he fell way down into the 2nd round, where he should have been projected to begin with. Somehow EJ Manuel did still manage to go in the 1st round when no one thought he should have. The Bills were desperate that season and drafted Manuel way before he should have gone. That was a really bad QB draft though. Not a single starter came out of the 2013 draft.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I think it depends on your organization and how long you can afford to sit him.  I also think a lot of his problems might be less apparent if the talent around him was better, like at the senior bowl.

Even outside of the top 5, realistically it's pretty hard to take Allen above someone who is really polished like Josh Rosen.  GM's can get fired over this kind of stuff.  :lol:

On the other hand, if I had job security (ie, I was an owner) I'd absolutely want him to be drafted.  If he slips a bit in the first round and goes to a competent franchise, that could be a best case scenario for him.

I think the Jets are an awful fit for him, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they take him.  

Edited by Iron-cock
6 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

I think it depends on your organization and how long you can afford to sit him.  I also think a lot of his problems might be less apparent if the talent around him was better, like at the senior bowl.

Even outside of the top 5, realistically it's pretty hard to take Allen above someone who is really polished like Josh Rosen.  GM's can get fired over this kind of stuff.  :lol:

On the other hand, if I had job security (ie, I was an owner) I'd absolutely want him to be drafted.  If he slips a bit in the first round and goes to a competent franchise, that could be a best case scenario for him.

I think the Jets are an awful fit for him, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they take him.  

JMHO - 

Jump for joy if Cleveland and the Giants are dumb enough to pass on Rosen and he falls to the Jets.

21 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

JMHO - 

Jump for joy if Cleveland and the Giants are dumb enough to pass on Rosen and he falls to the Jets.

I like Rosen.  Out of the first round QB's he looks the most like a professional QB to me.   I think some of the stuff about his attitude is overblown, and I do think he's a really bright guy.  The one concern I do think is legit is about his medical history.  Rosen doesn't have to play football.  If he gets a few concussions he'd probably consider leaving the NFL early. 

Watching Rosen and Allen against a common opponent, Allen had a poor stat line while Rosen's was great.  When I watch them play though, I see Rosen doing all the right things, but he's also hitting wide open receivers,  getting decent protection and has a nice mix of easy throws with a few difficult ones. 

Allen's WR's were atrocious, along with his line and very little he is asked to do is easy.  Or maybe he doesn't make it look easy.  :lol:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

I like Rosen.  Out of the first round QB's he looks the most like a professional QB to me.   I think some of the stuff about his attitude is overblown, and I do think he's a really bright guy.  The one concern I do think is legit is about his medical history.  Rosen doesn't have to play football.  If he gets a few concussions he'd probably consider leaving the NFL early. 

Watching Rosen and Allen against a common opponent, Allen had a poor stat line while Rosen's was great.  When I watch them play though, I see Rosen doing all the right things, but he's also hitting wide open receivers,  getting decent protection and has a nice mix of easy throws with a few difficult ones. 

Allen's WR's were atrocious, along with his line and very little he is asked to do is easy.  Or maybe he doesn't make it look easy.  :lol:

If some team said they were passing on Rosen due to concussions I could understand and get behind that. 

Otherwise...buy.

Allen looks so awful on that video compared to Rosen. Bad footwork, bad vision, questionable decision making. The entire offense looks like it’s running in slow motion compared to what Rosen was doing with those quick hitters.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Maybe this is just me heavily weighting games against my team (A&M), but decent protection and the UCLA line don't go together for me.  Dude was on blast routinely, ESPECIALLY in the A&M games (even without Garrett).  Tough SOB.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Maybe this is just me heavily weighting games against my team (A&M), but decent protection and the UCLA line don't go together for me.  Dude was on blast routinely, ESPECIALLY in the A&M games (even without Garrett).  Tough SOB.

I'm just comparing the two of them against Hawaii.

18 minutes ago, devaster said:

So 9/19 and 92 yards and a TD warrants a "Highlights" video? :lol:

I was pulling "bad" performances from Josh Allen, I'm glad people put up those "highlight" videos on youtube, makes it a lot easier than fast forwarding to see the player you're watching.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

JMHO - 

Rosen was the #1 QB early in the process, now he may be out of the top 10? Sounds like a lot of smoke to me. Allen will be the one to fall. He's a fraud. 

On 4/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, RustyMiller said:

It's gonna be Mayfield. The Jets have been gushing over him. It may be a smokescreen for Rosen but unlikely.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/75934/jets-draft-buzz-sam-darnold-could-fall-to-them-at-no-3

1. Most likely: If USC's Sam Darnold is gone by the third pick, my sense is the Jets' choice will come down to Baker Mayfield or UCLA's Josh Rosen. If they pick Wyoming's Josh Allen, they will have executed a masterful smokescreen because there is no Jets/Allen buzz among league insiders. That would be a surprise.

I picked Mayfield for the Jets -- check out our ESPN NFL Nation mock draft -- but I wouldn't rule out Rosen. He has support within the organization, including new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who has told people he's impressed by Rosen's smarts and ability to process information. Those are among his strengths, along with his textbook throwing mechanics and footwork. If the Jets draft Rosen, he'd have a chance to play immediately.

On the flip side, there are concerns about his durability, leadership and football character. That's where Mayfield gains his edge, I believe. The Jets' brass met with him multiple times throughout the process and came away with a positive impression of his polarizing personality. That includes owner Christopher Johnson, who had a sitdown with Mayfield during his recent visit to the facility.

• tonycpsu changed the title to New York Jets 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic