NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Jets 2018 Outlook

Iron-cock

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

47 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Yeah, my objection to it is:

1.  They're not winning anything this year.  

2.  That money could have went to signing a longer term fix at any position.

3.  They could have signed any vet QB to lose this year/mentor a rookie for a lot cheaper.

Basically they're blowing 10% of their free cap space on a 1 season deal for an old QB.

I'd rather they blow their money on a younger QB with some long term upside or just spend it elsewhere.

Which QB would you have preferred?

There isn't a qb in the league I'd prefer as a one year stopgap and mentor to a young qb than McCown.  His ex teammates rave about him.  They are paying him half of what FA starting qbs go for.

Bridgewater is going to want more of a commitment.   

McCarron does not have the experience I'd want in a mentor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

There isn't a qb in the league I'd prefer as a one year stopgap and mentor to a young qb than McCown.  His ex teammates rave about him.  They are paying him half of what FA starting qbs go for.

They are expected to sign Bridgewater soon. That's why it's a head scratcher. 

3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Matt Cassel could've been had for pennies probably

Just now, 96mnc said:

Matt Cassel shouldn't have a job as a waterboy let alone a qb.  He's absolutely pathetic.

As a 1yr stop gap, I wouldn't have cared if we brought in talent in FA and the draft. I wanted McCown but at his age and our situation, it just seemed foolish to spend that amount of money on him. No one was gonna bring him in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Matt Cassel shouldn't have a job as a waterboy let alone a qb.  He's absolutely pathetic.

Casell should be picked up by the Browns to help whichever rookie QB they draft.  Good franchise QB skill sets start in the film room and studying the playbook

5 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

So what the hell are the Jets waiting for? They have how

much money? 

Mac forgot it was daylights saving time and he's an hour behind everyone.  Arob should've been a jet. Marshall was a little older but last big name and talent we had at WR was Holmes. Everyone else is getting overpaid like it's the NBA FA so I'm not too upset but I'm pissed about losing out on Arob.

I really like Crowell going to the Jets. Not the best landing spot, but he should get plenty of touches without idiot Hue Jackson ruining the offense. And they have a competent QB in McCown.

Good for his dynasty value in my opinion.

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Casell should be picked up by the Browns to help whichever rookie QB they draft.  Good franchise QB skill sets start in the film room and studying the playbook

That was the argument in favor of bringing in Tyrod.  They've already covered that. 

5 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

That was the argument in favor of bringing in Tyrod.  They've already covered that. 

You need a cheap capable vet in the film room teaching the rookie and ready to step in in case Tyrod gets hurt, which would be Cassell. Tyrod is not there to be a teacher he is there to be a leader.  Cassell and the rookie will be the ones in the film room together and on the practice/scout teams working with each other. Tyrod will be with the first team focused on winning games

They were actually talking about this on WFAN. 1 year deal is the worst case scenario. Everyone was pretty unanimous that they should have least given him a 2 year deal just in case he plays and has success, they could look to the future with him or have him locked up and under control with a value similar to Foles. One year deal makes no sense except guarantees that they will go all-in as in possibly trading up for a QB during the draft.

5 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Now I'm confused. Is this to test the waters to see if he's a fit longer term while a rookie develops? So $14-16m guaranteed (is my guess) just to see his cards?

Me too.  Since they've already said McCown is the presumed starter coming into camp.

How are they even going to get a fair assessment of Bridgewater?

One of them and a rookie makes the most sense.

Also not a fan of the Crowell signing.  The draft is so strong with RBs, I'd rather they get someone there.

3 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Rumors are $5M for Teddy. If that's true, $7.5M for each isn't that bad then...I still don't think McCown deserves a $4M raise from last year but $15 for 2 QBs is alright.

$5M seems low. I would think he could get more than that from someone else, unless his knee is worse than people think.

5 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/18-of-our-top-50-free-agents-are-already-off-the-market/

18 of our Top 50 free agents are already off the market

18 of the top 50 FA are off the market, including the top 8 and somehow the team with the most cap room hasn't gotten one of them.

They'll get Suh if they want him.

2 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

$5M seems low. I would think he could get more than that from someone else, unless his knee is worse than people think.

Yeah, I'm kind of shocked by that number and I'm not sure how true it is. I thought he was looking in that $12-$14m range and figured someone would throw money at him but it seems most of the QB needy teams have grabbed their guys and I can't see buffalo replacing Tyrod with Bridgewater, so he may only be able to get this amount guaranteed. No idea. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

They were actually talking about this on WFAN. 1 year deal is the worst case scenario. Everyone was pretty unanimous that they should have least given him a 2 year deal just in case he plays and has success, they could look to the future with him or have him locked up and under control with a value similar to Foles. One year deal makes no sense except guarantees that they will go all-in as in possibly trading up for a QB during the draft.

The 1 year deal definitely doesn't make sense to me at all. Maybe 1 yr guaranteed with 2nd year option so $12-$14M and ~$5-6M guaranteed 1st yr.

I really like bringing in McCown and Bridgewater, makes ton of sense to me. Teddy is no lock to return to pre injury form, so having a guy like McCown is a must.

I do wonder if this is a sign that the Jets won't take a QB. I already figured all the QBs not named Jackson would be gone by #6. Jets may not be willing to move up for a QB 

• tonycpsu changed the title to New York Jets 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic