NBC Sports Edge Forums

Do I pick up Russel or Payton off WW? WHIR

If I put a claim on both, who would be the second drop? D Lo comes off waivers the 12th and Payton the 13th. I should have mentioned that in the original question. I think I like Payton more but my worry is missing out on both. I have the 6 pick for waivers and but the people ahead of me don’t really pick up players often.

If you claim D-Lo then you risk not getting Payton which I think would be a mistake. It depends on whether you think the guys below you would claim Payton if you grabbed Russell first. Your second drop would be tough as well, I have a hard time dropping Hood before you know what he can produce on the Cavs. 

Damn, how the eff are BOTH of those guys on the wire in a 12-teamer.  I can't imagine either of them even being on the wire in a 10-teamer, as long as it's somewhat competitive.  

Drop Murray for Payton with your first waiver claim.  Then stack the second with Hood/Portis (I'm leaning Hood) for DLO. Basically, you're just preventing anyone from grabbing him as a free agent with your second waiver claim, lol.  You'll be moving Harden to SG and have some great B-tier young talent at PG.

Murray's injury and the fact he plays for Pop bother me.  No treys and lower minutes are my other gripes with him.  Payton with nearly no competition for PG and the Suns' fast pace as well as their necessity to play young guys means he'll get major burn.  DLO's playing better, so still risky with rest days and injury risk, as well as bench  minutes, but looking up.  Hope you get both of them!

10 hours ago, MWon said:

Damn, how the eff are BOTH of those guys on the wire in a 12-teamer.  I can't imagine either of them even being on the wire in a 10-teamer, as long as it's somewhat competitive.  

Drop Murray for Payton with your first waiver claim.  Then stack the second with Hood/Portis (I'm leaning Hood) for DLO. Basically, you're just preventing anyone from grabbing him as a free agent with your second waiver claim, lol.  You'll be moving Harden to SG and have some great B-tier young talent at PG.

Murray's injury and the fact he plays for Pop bother me.  No treys and lower minutes are my other gripes with him.  Payton with nearly no competition for PG and the Suns' fast pace as well as their necessity to play young guys means he'll get major burn.  DLO's playing better, so still risky with rest days and injury risk, as well as bench  minutes, but looking up.  Hope you get both of them!

I was really surprised too but I think it could be frustrated owners. The league is very active. Payton was dropped for George Hill (idk why tbh). Russel was dropped after a 2 for 1 and the team was pretty guard heavy so I get why he dropped him.

the problem for me is that DLo comes off waivers first. So have hood/Portis on the DLo waiver claim? But def have Murrey for Payton?

thanks for all the help guys

Sorry for the double post but it should also be mentioned that 2 people ahead of me on waivers are bottom of the bottom with no hope of turning it around and the other 2 (comfortably at the top) haven’t used waivers at all. One has had the #1 for what seems like forever (1st place) and the other (2nd place) literally made only 1 pick up all season. So I think there’s only 1 person who might beat me and that’s the first place team, if he makes the move

8 hours ago, andy1234 said:

the problem for me is that DLo comes off waivers first. So have hood/Portis on the DLo waiver claim? But def have Murrey for Payton?

Oh, I was under the impression that both were coming off on the same day.  If that's the case, let DLO fall to FA and save your waiver for Payton.  If DLO manages to hit FA, then go ahead and take him without risking your waiver.  Worst comes to worst, DLO gets snatched off waiver by an impatient owner and you can potentially move your waiver spot higher for Payton (meaning one owner is eliminated from contending for Payton off waivers).

21 hours ago, MWon said:

Oh, I was under the impression that both were coming off on the same day.  If that's the case, let DLO fall to FA and save your waiver for Payton.  If DLO manages to hit FA, then go ahead and take him without risking your waiver.  Worst comes to worst, DLO gets snatched off waiver by an impatient owner and you can potentially move your waiver spot higher for Payton (meaning one owner is eliminated from contending for Payton off waivers).

That is exactly what happened. I think I’m in prime position to get Payton barring a surprise. Thanks for all the help everyone!