NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler Chatwood 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, HumanRainDelay 18 said:

Who is rolling the dice with him tonight tomorrow night vs. STL?  I'm leaning towards playing it safe with him on the bench.  Not cutting quite yet.

Starting him. Have too, with the weather I have no idea if I will get my innings limit. This is probably his last chance on my team. No command and gone he goes. The Cubs are a dumpster fire and this guy is their 5th starter, not worth the ratio hit for a few vulture wins 

Edited by Mickey Donovan
2 hours ago, HumanRainDelay 18 said:

Who is rolling the dice with him tonight tomorrow night vs. STL?  I'm leaning towards playing it safe with him on the bench.  Not cutting quite yet.

I might.

Can't decide. I really need his spot for a bench bat anyways, so I'm not exactly that excited about starting him anyways.

6 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

4.2 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 7 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR.

On the one hand, it was so cold, on the other hand, bleugh to all those walks.

walks have always been a problem for chatwood

Just now, cdd10 said:

walks have always been a problem for chatwood

Yeah, for sure.

Not sure what to think about the start honestly. I bought into the upside, but if he can't control his pitches, his Ks don't mean much. But like I said, in his defense, it was just so cold.

Just now, johnnyboy8102 said:

Now has walked 14 batters in 15.2 innings. 

Is everyone moving on at this point? 

I think I am. I need a spot for Yelich coming off the DL anyways.

It's hard though, you can see that potential with his strikeouts. But then he goes and walks a ton of people and basically nullifies his own strength.

Edited by Philoumenos

Easy cut in 12-team mixed and shallower.  If he suddenly finds control after years of not having much of any, you tip your cap to the owner who had the stones to run him out there against the Tribe next week.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Another 5 walks.  It’s acfually impressive how consistently putrid this guts control is.  This is maybe the worst control run I’ve seen by an arm in a long time.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dropped him last night.  Not sure why I had him on my team for so long.  I only had him because someone dropped him and I had an open spot.  He even has 2 starts next week in my weekly H2H league but nope the decision was still to drop. 

He has the worst delivery I’ve ever seen.  I don’t think you can fix him.  He has a million moving parts.  There’s literally no way to calm that down without completing breaking it all down and building it back up which won’t happen in season.  He has sick movement on his pitches but his delivery will never be repeatable.  He’ll easily have 6+ BB per 9 this year.  At some point Cubs will probably phantom DL him when he has a stretch of short immediate poundings like last night so they can work some kinks in bullpens and maybe minor league rehab stint.  I don’t envy the Cubs pitching coach.  Watching this guy pitch is like nails on chalkboard.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Somewhere, Victor Zambrano is smiling 

Thats a good one. To me the first name come to mind was the other Zambrano, Carlos, who pitched for the Cubs just as Chatwood.

But I guess he is mostly remembered by his "dugout brainstorming" with his catcher, when he "brain stormed" him with a haymaker.
But Chatwood's BB% must be historic

Edited by JCD
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still on my roster only because [league-specific reasons] , 2) still love his SP/RP eligibility and, 3) cling to the belief that he won't walk batters at the rate of almost 1 walk per IP for ROS....but that #3 is only because of #1 or he'd be on someone else's team or the waiver wire by now.

That said, he's on my bench this week so just keeping tabs....hoping he limits walks so I can start with fingers crossed next week as there is no way I can trust my other options as #5 SP for Week 14....hoping Chatwood finds the zone & keeps BBs to 3 or less so I can at least put hopes that he has figured out his control problems.

CSB/Bench coach stuffs: [Nope.]