NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yoenis Cespedes 2018 Outlook

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're a Mets fan. When you're unsure who to blame, why would you ever give benefit of that doubt to the franchise? Looking at recent history, when have they shown smart decision making? When has the

Usually I’d dismiss a player saying things like that.  But Yoenis Cespedes looking up symptoms on internet>>>Mets medical staff.

Oh look, another Mets player with a more severe injury than the medical staff and management are aware of. Good job, NY. 

Posted Images

Lol still not cleared to resume baseball activities.  These updates have been hilarious to follow.  A guy who was held out of a game and still eligible to pinch hit before being put on DL will likely end up missing on low end 2 months with a “minor hip flexor.”  So either the Mets lied to us and mis diagonsed this injury (high chance), or he’s got zero heart and is a mangina.  Which one is it?  At this point the real question is do we hold or just let him be someone else’s issue and live with letting someone have 3-4 weeks of his stats before he re-strains something.

• Like 1
On 6/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

Wow...don't know how to read into these updates. Do you continue to blindly hold indefinitely? Anybody have any educated opinion on what kind of ETA we are looking at at this point? (please save the vent/frustrated/sarcastic comments) 

He's basically started all over in the rehab process of the injury or injuries. No one is sure if it's a hip flexor strain or a quad strain. I suspect, and this is pure speculation on my part, is that it's both. I also heard on the radio that the Mets think he's going to have chronic quad issues. Either way, I don't think we will see him back prior to the ASB. He's not even resumed baseball activities as yet. I'm holding where I have DL spots available, if I need to make a DL decision then he's the first to go. Someone else can deal with the headache. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ronald Acuna’s leg bent in half and he made it back to the playing field before Cespedes could even begin baseball activities from his “minor hip flexor.”  Now that’s comedy.

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Ronald Acuna’s leg bent in half and he made it back to the playing field before Cespedes could even begin baseball activities from his “minor hip flexor.”  Now that’s comedy.

He told some reporters back in early June that he doesn't believe he can help the team anyway because of how bad they are playing.

His exact quote:

Cespedes has described the injury as a quad issue, and the last time he spoke to the media, June 8 in Trenton, he said, “I’m working very hard to go back and help the team start getting on the winning track. But for the way the team is playing right now, even if I’m doing very well, if the team remains playing this way, I don’t think it’s going to help but I’m eager to go back.”

That quote was from the day before he was pulled from the rehab game. The guy has quit on them, he has no interest in coming back. He's collecting a check and that's about it. 

• Like 3

Does anyone else at least chuckle when they read his updates?  All you can do is laugh at this point.  

Yoenis Cespedes - OF -  Mets

Yoenis Cespedes (hip, quad) remains limited to physical therapy.

Cespedes had been slated to meet up with the Mets in Miami, but the team decided to keep him at their spring training complex to continue his rehab. He's been out since mid-May with hip and quad issues and obviously it doesn't appear he will return any time soon.
12 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Does anyone else at least chuckle when they read his updates?  All you can do is laugh at this point.  

Yoenis Cespedes - OF -  Mets

Yoenis Cespedes (hip, quad) remains limited to physical therapy.

Cespedes had been slated to meet up with the Mets in Miami, but the team decided to keep him at their spring training complex to continue his rehab. He's been out since mid-May with hip and quad issues and obviously it doesn't appear he will return any time soon.

It appears he just doesn't want to play.

I think what I find ridiculous is that he has absolutely NO pride. He has to know what the NYM brass, press, and fans probably think of him and he simply doesn’t care. Instead of having a, “I’ll show them all” attitude (like Acuna did by busting his a$$ and coming back), he’s content stealing money and dreaming about fast cars and golf. 

53 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

It appears he just doesn't want to play.

My thoughts exactly. At this rate he'll be rehabbing in August by walking with senior citizens at the mall. What a dope.

• Like 1

Players union has to step in at some point.  He’s setting a very dangerous precedent.  Anytime you type his name into a google search it’s a new article in a NY Paper talking about how regretful his deal is.  Owners never will get guaranteed contracts rescinded but it could become a sticking point in talks in the future when a guy clearly just doesn’t want to play in any way shape or form.  This is essentially the Kawhi Leonard saga for baseball.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

Physical therapy? Did he have surgery? Was he in an accident that we don't know about? How can a minor strain get worse with time off? And according to Callaway, Cespedes will not return until he is 100% healthy. He said that after the game two nights ago. Does that mean he's retired? Because apparently the guy is never 100% healthy!

From two days ago...

“I think that he’s in a good spot so far,” Callaway said. “But really still day to day in a sense, so we’re trying to figure out what makes sense for him to go out and get on a rehab assignment.” Cespedes has been running sprints, but has not yet progressed to “turning the bases, like simulating a double,” Callaway said.

How can he possibly be in a good spot so far? He's been MIA since May!?!?! What a joke!

Allegedly, maybe, possibly, coming back on Friday.. 

6809.jpg

Yoenis Cespedes (hip, quad) hit two home runs in a simulated game Monday at the Mets' spring training complex.

He also singled, drew a walk, and played five innings of left field. Cespedes is aiming to come off the disabled list for the Mets' first game after the All-Star break on Friday night at Yankee Stadium, and he would seem to be on track to meet that goal. He can DH in that series before returning to the outfield next week. Cespedes has been sidelined since since May 13 due to hip and quad injuries.
Jul 16 - 1:22 PM

Run, do not walk in sending 900 offers out to get him off your team:

Steve Gelbs

Cespedes says that the cause of his medical issues is calcification in both heels. He says the only way to fix the issue is surgery. He’s considering it for the off-season, but the recovery time is apparently 8-10 months.
  • Like 1

Beat me to it. There's no way he can stay healthy. If you've got a really deep league with big benches I might buy him for pennies but don't rely on him being healthy much. This should rightfully decimate his value. He's got an ongoing health issue that cannot be fixed without surgery and a very long rehab. 

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

Beat me to it. There's no way he can stay healthy. If you've got a really deep league with big benches I might buy him for pennies but don't rely on him being healthy much. This should rightfully decimate his value. He's got an ongoing health issue that cannot be fixed without surgery and a very long rehab. 

At some point soon he’ll likely be shutdown.  Just putting on the front that he cares about competing etc.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Cespedes says that the cause of his medical issues is calcification in both heels. He says the only way to fix the issue is surgery. He’s considering it for the off-season, but the recovery time is apparently 8-10 months.

Lmao

I reckon it's odd this is the first we're hearing of this ailment, no (and via a translator no less)?

Any trade value is pretty much shot with the announcement of this news so we have no choice but to hold on and hope he delays surgery and can go on a power binge down the stretch here.

Maybe he's revealing this health issue to get some heat off his back for his lengthy DL stint ... you can't watch an NYM telecast without the commentators insinuating that he's lazy/taking way too much time to rehab/etc. It can't be good for his PR.