NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yoenis Cespedes 2018 Outlook

BostonCajun

There are these things called pain killers administered by team trainers/doctors so that players can play despite their bones being cracked/muscles being pulled/etc. 

Him running from second tells us nothing other than he was probably medicated. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

There are these things called pain killers administered by team trainers/doctors so that players can play despite their bones being cracked/muscles being pulled/etc. 

Him running from second tells us nothing other than he was probably medicated. 

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that the pain killers finally worked in Cespedes case. He was finally able to come back after 2 months, hit a homer and then ran full speed to score from 2nd base. I just don't think they gave him the correct dosage because he's right back on the DL. Hopefully they can fix the dosage issue and we'll get a cameo appearance on September 30th. 

33 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I hope the Mets have learned their lesson on giving big contracts to players that jump from team to team in a short period of time, no matter what the talent level is. But I wouldn't count on it.

I hope they haven't.

Wouldn't it be convenient if they use the Cespedes example to never again sign a big-name FA?

• Like 1

Something seems fishy here and I think over time we'll find out how it got to this point.

I think there's something in his insurance policy and that's why he came back for the one game. 

All that time spent in rehab and then he played a few rehab games and nothing was said or done about the heel issue?  

I'm not sure if it's on Cespedes or the Mets because I'm obviously just speculating but this just doesn't pass the smell test.

Next season they will have 44 mil in dead money on Wright and Cespedes. Possibly 21 mil in dead money on Vargas and Bruce, I mention them because those two just don't even look like MLB players anymore. So even if they are healthy they could be dead weight. I don't see how they can possibly recover from this until 2021 at which point DeGrom, Syndergaard, Conforto and Nimmo could all be gone. Now I'm agreement with the masses, trade everyone. Get what you can and then just hope. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

All that time spent in rehab and then he played a few rehab games and nothing was said or done about the heel issue?  

I'm not sure if it's on Cespedes or the Mets because I'm obviously just speculating but this just doesn't pass the smell test.

You're a Mets fan. When you're unsure who to blame, why would you ever give benefit of that doubt to the franchise? Looking at recent history, when have they shown smart decision making? When has the medical team handled an issue quickly, quietly, and without further surprises? I understand the frustration. But I honestly don't see how people are putting blame anywhere but the Wilpons and the entire management team. 

Players regularly don't share the full extent of their injuries. It's in their nature to try pushing through it to keep playing. This isn't a Mets thing. Every team deals with this. And yet...it's almost always the Mets that have incidents. Matheny was ripped for, among other things, not knowing CMart was still hurting. Rightfully so. The Mets? It seems people just expect the incompetence and poor communication between players and this staff. Why is that? 

I still think selling everyone is a mistake (unless they get a king's ransom). Yes they need a lot of help. But in the era of teams tanking, I think there's a missing opportunity to be had. The Pirates, Rays, and Athletics pulled it off this year - focus on the future and rebuild, but still at least put out a competitive team. Yeah, you need a bit of luck, but if things break right you get to be a contender. If not, you sell expiring contracts and repeat the process while you wait for the farm to develop. And these teams are tiny payrolls. The Mets should be able to follow a similar path - once you're out, trade away expiring contracts or anyone overpaying for a controllable asset. In the off-season, sign a handful of non stars for short deals while you wait several years for the farm system to develop. Do the Mets need some help and some luck to make a playoff push next year? Absolutely. Is it possible? Absolutely! They do have some talented players. There are decent free agents this off-season that won't require Machado money. They should grab some and cross their fingers. If course that exposes the real problem - who is in charge, and are they competent enough to make these moves? 

Eta this should be in the Mets thread instead of hijacking the Cespedes thread. Sorry, all! Though I guess it doesn't matter too much now that he's gone for the year. 

Edited by AnonymousRob
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

You're a Mets fan. When you're unsure who to blame, why would you ever give benefit of that doubt to the franchise? Looking at recent history, when have they shown smart decision making? When has the medical team handled an issue quickly, quietly, and without further surprises? I understand the frustration. But I honestly don't see how people are putting blame anywhere but the Wilpons and the entire management team. 

Players regularly don't share the full extent of their injuries. It's in their nature to try pushing through it to keep playing. This isn't a Mets thing. Every team deals with this. And yet...it's almost always the Mets that have incidents. Matheny was ripped for, among other things, not knowing CMart was still hurting. Rightfully so. The Mets? It seems people just expect the incompetence and poor communication between players and this staff. Why is that? 

I still think selling everyone is a mistake (unless they get a king's ransom). Yes they need a lot of help. But in the era of teams tanking, I think there's a missing opportunity to be had. The Pirates, Rays, and Athletics pulled it off this year - focus on the future and rebuild, but still at least put out a competitive team. Yeah, you need a bit of luck, but if things break right you get to be a contender. If not, you sell expiring contracts and repeat the process while you wait for the farm to develop. And these teams are tiny payrolls. The Mets should be able to follow a similar path - once you're out, trade away expiring contracts or anyone overpaying for a controllable asset. In the off-season, sign a handful of non stars for short deals while you wait several years for the farm system to develop. Do the Mets need some help and some luck to make a playoff push next year? Absolutely. Is it possible? Absolutely! They do have some talented players. There are decent free agents this off-season that won't require Machado money. They should grab some and cross their fingers. If course that exposes the real problem - who is in charge, and are they competent enough to make these moves? 

I completely agree with your entire post and that's what I would do as well. Problem is that we already know how the Wilpons do business. The insurance on Cespedes and Wright will not start to payout until they miss a certain amount of games. Prior to 2018 the Wilpons would wait until after they collect the insurance to make moves. I don't see that changing going into next season because of all the mistakes they made in the offeseason prior to this year. I'll bet the farm that they will not sign anyone of significance in the upcoming off season based on their previous history. We are stuck here! 

• Like 1