NBC Sports Edge Forums

C.J. Anderson 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have to go Arian. Gurley is just a rookie and CJ will never be good.

As if one can just replace Fozzy Whitaker.    You’re funny 

Not sure of the intended joke (or simply the smiley face because you’re excited about football), but this is the key question(s) you’ve posted.   2017: CMcC = 200 touches, 7 TDs Jo

Posted Images

Someone should sign him. He plays for a few weeks and if you like him you try to resign if not he walks and you could end up helping yourself with the compensatory picks. I think he would be a great backup in several spots. Here are a few I think he could play a more consistent role in.

Indy: Wilkins is not good and Mack is injury prone. I think he’s be a clear upgrade over Wilkins and could get 4 - 7 carries a game there as a nice breather for Mack and clock killer in games that get out of hand.

SF: He’s better than Morris at this point and Breida is made of

glass. Problem is they are probably just going to wait until next year with Jimmy G out. But he could easy take 5+ carries a game here and lighten the load for Breida.

Atl: He’s better then ito and Coleman will walk after this year. CJ could fill Ito’s role as ATL hopes to make a playoff push and I think the receivers there would really help CJ since he isn’t a burner and they can strectch the field for him.

4 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

How can you tell? Has he even been on the field?

It seems like a preposterous claim, but the NFL is a cruel business, especially for RBs. There's a realistic chance he ends this season as a FA. Then he's going into next year as a 28 year old RB. No one is rushing to sign up for that these days. It's not hard to find a dynamic RB on day three of the NFL draft. I hope he signs somewhere right away and finds a role, but it's far from a guarantee. He could be sitting around during training camp next year waiting for an injury to a big name back. 

12 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Yes he's got a few carries this season. 

He has 24 carries for 104 yards. That's too small of a sample to come to any conclusion, but even if you did, the conclusion would be that he's been fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Titan said:

Someone should sign him. He plays for a few weeks and if you like him you try to resign if not he walks and you could end up helping yourself with the compensatory picks. I think he would be a great backup in several spots. Here are a few I think he could play a more consistent role in.

Indy: Wilkins is not good and Mack is injury prone. I think he’s be a clear upgrade over Wilkins and could get 4 - 7 carries a game there as a nice breather for Mack and clock killer in games that get out of hand.

SF: He’s better than Morris at this point and Breida is made of

glass. Problem is they are probably just going to wait until next year with Jimmy G out. But he could easy take 5+ carries a game here and lighten the load for Breida.

Atl: He’s better then ito and Coleman will walk after this year. CJ could fill Ito’s role as ATL hopes to make a playoff push and I think the receivers there would really help CJ since he isn’t a burner and they can strectch the field for him.

Don't forget Redskins, AP is banged up and may not make it through the back half of the schedule and thompson is fragile

CJA brings an every down skilllset that fits the redskins offense

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

I think at a minimum you can dwindle the teams down that are still in playoff contention.  I hate to even say it but what about the Pats? 

Texans can add him  as a depth signing with dontae  a big question mark and Miller wearing down 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Don't forget Redskins, AP is banged up and may not make it through the back half of the schedule and thompson is fragile

CJA brings an every down skilllset that fits the redskins offense

Actually not a bad destination. He isn't a true scat back but he is a capable receiver and good pass blocker so not only would he be an upgrade over Perine and Kelly as the early down backup to AP (who has ended the year injured often lately) but could be an improvement over Bibbs in spelling Thompson who has been often injured as well. 

• Like 1

The Eagles tried hard for a running back before the deadline. Maybe they'll give C.J. a shot, CJ looked decent last season when given the chance. He just didn't have many chances this year that I've seen to tell how he looks. It's a longshot but... Maybe

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Shocking that not a single team gave him at least a work out by now

They must not have liked what CJ Anderson put on tape this year.  It's a pity, he was one of my favorite running backs during his (seemingly) brief career.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

They must not have liked what CJ Anderson put on tape this year.  It's a pity, he was one of my favorite running backs during his (seemingly) brief career.

CMaC is handling an almost unheard of 97% of the snaps ... CJA went 24/104 in the scant action he saw (handful of those carries were short yardage plunges), also hauling in his only target for a 20 yd score. 

so, yeah ... not much tape to look at, amirite?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

CMaC is handling an almost unheard of 97% of the snaps ... CJA went 24/104 in the scant action he saw (handful of those carries were short yardage plunges), also hauling in his only target for a 20 yd score. 

so, yeah ... not much tape to look at, amirite?

Not much is needed to show Anderson's strength, speed, and fitness level.  And the team that knew him best, and seemingly needed him most this year cut him loose.  Not a great sign.

Not be fat and out of shape.  That was an issue for him even after his fantastic 2014 season.  It took him a while to return to form.

It's really sad.  One of my favorite players of the last five years.  All these running-back-needy teams working him out, none signing him.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Not be fat and out of shape.  That was an issue for him even after his fantastic 2014 season.  It took him a while to return to form.

It's really sad.  One of my favorite players of the last five years.  All these running-back-needy teams working him out, none signing him.  

How do you know he is fat and out of shape? 

32 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

How do you know he is fat and out of shape? 

I don't.  But obviously something is not right with him.  On paper he is better than many players signed instead of him.  And yet teams get a look at him and decide to go in another direction...