NBC Sports Edge Forums

Walker Buehler 2018 Outlook

SpecialFNK

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy is a Vandy grad and as sharp as a tack.  He's had a good baseball support system throughout his life which puts him a bit ahead of most on the early learning curve.

Has looked alright through two. K's will be there. Got some bad luck bounces on balls in the 1st, evened out by a remarkable play by Hernandez in the 2nd. If he can keep the BB down he'll be great. If not, you could see some blowup nights. Stuff is electric through. Fun to watch.

While obviously far from Glasnow as a starter, he needs to just keep attacking hitters.  He did at the beginning of the 2nd and mowed two straight guys down, then he messed around with the pitcher.

Started off at 98 MPH to kick off the night. Quick first out. 

Sharp single off a FB to very hot Realmuto, first pitch after a long video replay after a foul ball. Then gives up single to Castro. 2 on 1 out. 

100 MPH here to Anderson. Then 99 at the bottom of the zone for a K. Walks Maybin to load the bases. 

Tried to use his CB as an out pitch to get out of the bases loaded jam. Broadcast made a good point about how you really must trust that pitch if you are using it with a man on 3rd base. Swing and miss, but was not caught. Next pitch blows away Shuck with 99 on the outside.

Stuff is electric.  

2nd starts with a nice slider for strike 3 on the inside vs Brinson. FB blows away another hitter for back to back K. 

Walks the pitcher after a close called ball with 2 strikes. Thats going to cost his pitch count. 

Long AB to Rojas then gets a ground out from a great play in the infield. 

FB, curve, slider looking good so far. As with anyone that throws 100, it makes his other pitches that much more effective. 

3rd inning

Another great play by Kike and its 2 outs. Quick inning with just 11 pitches in his second time through the lineup. 

4th inning

Leadoff single by Maybin. A rare flyball for out 1. Maybin attempts a steal off of Buehler, out after good throw by catcher. 4 pitch walk then groundout. 

Pitch count getting up there with 72 pitches through 4 IP. Manager said pregame wont go over 90 pitches. 4 K and 3 BB so far. 

5th

Hanging CB singled. Gets out of the inning, seemed to throw the CB and slider plenty. FB still has good power. 

5 IP 4 H 3 BB 5 K and exits the game in line for a win. All 4 hits were singles, zero XBH allowed tonight. 

Moving forward, Buehler is undoubtably one of the top SP prospects in the game. His high K potential fits the profile of a high value dynasty player, but I will continue to watch for BB (3 walks, 55/89 for strikes) and the development of his slider. If he can use it as an above average pitch, I see him doing very well in the big leagues. Of course, asking for more sliders is always a health risk so theres that. He had a few nice sliders to RHP inside tonight, let's see if he can continue to use that as a weapon as he really likes to pound the bottom of the zone with heat. 

We've discussed this a lot, but I dont think any of the Dodgers SP are iron men. His IP will be capped, and I'm very curious to see how he's used this season. Upside could be enough to justify a stash for redrafts this year. 2019 will be the year he's fully unleashed IMO. 

It goes without saying, I'm looking forward to him facing his next challenge that should be a bit more telling then the dumpster/clearance bucket dollar store Marlins. 

I  thought he pitched ok, but he still has some work to do before he is ready to stick in the majors in my opinion.  So far his control has been fairly shaky in the majors, even though one of those walks was a strikeout tonight.

On a more positive note, I hope he gets the win tonight and I think he still has a very bright future.  The fastball is nasty, but his breaking pitches are inconsistent at best so far.  Still, once he gets called up for good, I'll happily give him another shot.

Agree with everything said above but worth mentioning he had 3 amazing defensive plays. 2 by Hernandez and 1 throw out by Grandal as well as really good framing by Grandal. I think the fastball is powerful but could use some movement. Overall, really happy with this outing and hopes he pitches Saturday. 

What else does he have to prove in AAA? 

That he has the stuff to pitch in the bigs? We saw that he does last night. You could literally see him thinking on the mound and he appeared calm and not overwhelmed. 

Just give him a spot in the rotation and let's go. 

44 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

What else does he have to prove in AAA? 

That he has the stuff to pitch in the bigs? We saw that he does last night. You could literally see him thinking on the mound and he appeared calm and not overwhelmed. 

Just give him a spot in the rotation and let's go. 

He's never thrown above 80 Innings yet. As excited as I am and everyone else here. I think we need to realize, this is a young super exciting arm that had TJS and still stretching out his arm to be a starter. It's early in the year and Dodgers have to be careful with him. 

Archived