Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook


XxxOilOverloadxxX
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grey from Razzball has him ranked #55. His rankings this year are asinine. 

 

If JD falls to you in the third round, it would be straight lunacy not to draft him. He's a third rounder that will perform like a first rounder. 35+ homers, 100+ runs, 100+ RBI, and a wRC+ of 140+?

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Grey from Razzball has him ranked #55. His rankings this year are asinine. 

 

If JD falls to you in the third round, it would be straight lunacy not to draft him. He's a third rounder that will perform like a first rounder. 35+ homers, 100+ runs, 100+ RBI, and a wRC+ of 140+?

 

giphy.gif

 

I just don’t think the offense around him will support those numbers regarding runs and RBIs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Grey from Razzball has him ranked #55. His rankings this year are asinine. 

 

If JD falls to you in the third round, it would be straight lunacy not to draft him. He's a third rounder that will perform like a first rounder. 35+ homers, 100+ runs, 100+ RBI, and a wRC+ of 140+?

 

giphy.gif

It's the most bizarre consensus low rank I've seen in years.  What changed?  He's 32?  Had ONE injury? Makes no sense to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TrueToTheBlue said:

Is pick 15 too early to take him in redraft? 

 

I don't think so, if you think he won't come back to you by the 30th pick, there is nothing wrong in trying to reach a little for a guy that will likely perform like 1st round talent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Would you rather have him or Freeman?

That's a great question. It comes down to personal preference, I think. If I had to answer, I think I'll take Freeman, because of the LASIK in the off season. However, they're both projected to put up eerily similar numbers according to Steamer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have him as a keeper and can't wait for him to have his rebound in a contract year.  The offense around him is a bit of a concern, but he'll certainly hit in the Rogers Centre.   Maybe Devon Travis stays healthy and Grichuk has a good year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An absolute steal at his current draft price. FantasyPros mixed expert rankings has him at 25th and his current ADP at 29! He was drafted in the 1st round last year in most leagues and has a very good chance of performing like a 1st round pick again. He had an insane 2nd half hitting 276/.386/.606 with 24 hr, 46 runs, and 53 RBIs in just 64 games! Some people may feel like his counting stats won't be what they used too without Bautista but they have enough guys that will get on base for Donaldson to knock them in and finish with 100 runs and 100 RBIs again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

im doing mocks on yahoo tonight for the first time.

my favorite strat so far is something like this, trea turner first round around pick 4 -6, josh donaldson 2nd, and then Springer or Bellinger as my OF1 in the 3rd

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that concerns me is the idiotic Jays coaching staff. Donaldson clearly hurt himself and was allowed to play the next game and then made the injury worse. I’m a Jays fan and just couldn’t believe they let him play. Anyways, if you can get him at the end of second or early third, that’s a steal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

grey from razzball

 

He’s done, and last year’s apparent bounce back in the 2nd half is hiding it.  His K-rate went up to 22.4% from 17% the year before.  Um, not good.  Percentage of balls he hit in the strike zone went down; swinging strike rate went up and total contact went down.  His HR/FB% was up to 25.6 and his career mark is 18.1%, so problems there.  His 2nd half HR/FB% of 27.6% is goofy, especially while his hard contact was falling.  His Hard Contact fell last year to its lowest mark since he was on the A’s.  This is funny (not funny), his month of August saw a 31.6% HR/FB for 12 homers, while his Hard Contact rate was similar to that of Derek Dietrich and Ben Zobrist.

 

thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

grey from razzball

 

He’s done, and last year’s apparent bounce back in the 2nd half is hiding it.  His K-rate went up to 22.4% from 17% the year before.  Um, not good.  Percentage of balls he hit in the strike zone went down; swinging strike rate went up and total contact went down.  His HR/FB% was up to 25.6 and his career mark is 18.1%, so problems there.  His 2nd half HR/FB% of 27.6% is goofy, especially while his hard contact was falling.  His Hard Contact fell last year to its lowest mark since he was on the A’s.  This is funny (not funny), his month of August saw a 31.6% HR/FB for 12 homers, while his Hard Contact rate was similar to that of Derek Dietrich and Ben Zobrist.

 

thoughts?

Grey has been posting some stupid things lately. Donaldson is going to be awesome this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too think some of Grey's opinions are way off especially on Donaldson. He has one bad half in 5 years likely due to his injury and he writes him off as being done? Come on man haha. Donaldson is far from done. Yeah the lineup around him isn't as good as previous years when they had Bautista hitting 35+ bombs right next to Donaldson but they're not horrible. IMO he's a steal in the 3rd round that is very likely to provide 30+ HR with close to 100 runs and 100+ rbis with an elite OBP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grey has started hitting the sauce big time this year.  Not sure what the hell is the basis on some of his projections.  Off year I guess lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

also one thing were not accounting for here

 

there's a good chance he's moved to a really good team during the deadline. I am very positive someone would offer the Jays a package of prospects they would like more than a compensatory pick

 

BUY BUY BUY!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

also one thing were not accounting for here

 

there's a good chance he's moved to a really good team during the deadline. I am very positive someone would offer the Jays a package of prospects they would like more than a compensatory pick

 

BUY BUY BUY!

For a 32-year-old rental for 2months, I can believe at the deadline he gets traded. Can't see a boatload of prospects coming back though. And as a 33-year-old (December) he is going to be hard to sign like JDM was this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...