NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Donaldson 2018 Outlook

XxxOilOverloadxxX
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I think Donaldson s adp is right where it should be. I don't think by any means he has top 5 upside this year. Top 12 seems more reasonable.

What is your reasoning exactly for that? I think he's kind of being undervalued. a guy that is generally ranked 30th overall and might get 40 homers at 3rd base is first round material. He's kind of a steal this year with his adp.

6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

What is your reasoning exactly for that? I think he's kind of being undervalued. a guy that is generally ranked 30th overall and might get 40 homers at 3rd base is first round material. He's kind of a steal this year with his adp.

I did say top 12 upside didn't I ? Top 12 by most standard leagues is first round material. 

10 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I think Donaldson s adp is right where it should be. I don't think by any means he has top 5 upside this year. Top 12 seems more reasonable.

Wasn't he a top 3 fantasy player in both 2015 and 2016?  I'm pretty sure he was in my points leagues...  

3 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Wasn't he a top 3 fantasy player in both 2015 and 2016?  I'm pretty sure he was in my points leagues...  

Yea In 2015 and 2016 sure. But this is 2018 and I don't see him comparing to the top 5 guys like Trout, Altuve, Arenado, Turner or Blackmon

36 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

except he is still hurt and that Toronto offense isn't anywhere close to what it once was.

2 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

except he is still hurt and that Toronto offense isn't anywhere close to what it once was.

He is hurt? He said he is dealing with overall body soreness. No mention of an injury.

Just now, disasterisk said:

Josh Donaldson has been hurt for over a year...

No he has not...  He hurt his calf last year and missed the beginning of the year. and then he played the rest of the season. He had double digit homers in september and August.

7 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Dehydration my a**. His calf is def hurt again. I just don't think aging is treating him well.

He played defense since then... He couldn't run if his calf was hurting him.

41 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

Yea In 2015 and 2016 sure. But this is 2018 and I don't see him comparing to the top 5 guys like Trout, Altuve, Arenado, Turner or Blackmon

Turner isn't even second round worthy in points leagues that don't massively over value stolen bases.  He's an. 800 OPS guy.  I think Donaldson could be right up there with those 5, that's his upside at least. He did it two years in a row and then had injuries slow him. 

8 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

He played defense since then... He couldn't run if his calf was hurting him.

I think he's forcing himself out there. Calf or not calf, I do think he's hurt. He said he has "overall body soreness" whatever the heck that is.

8 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

I think he's forcing himself out there. Calf or not calf, I do think he's hurt. He said he has "overall body soreness" whatever the heck that is.

Great he’s got fibromyalgia, just great

Because there's been so little news on JD I have to assume the Jays are simply not rolling him out for meaningless games. There hasn't been even a slight whisper he's not available THU. 

Assuming that speculative scenario is true, I guess I'd have to wonder what they're so worried about. If they're worried he gets hurt before the season even starts...I guess I feel a bit less than inspired.

2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

No he has not...  He hurt his calf last year and missed the beginning of the year. and then he played the rest of the season. He had double digit homers in september and August.

He was on my team, you don't need to tell me what he was or was not doing. Dude is still hurt and on the wrong side of 30. Good luck with your regression goals in 2018.

11 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

He was on my team, you don't need to tell me what he was or was not doing. Dude is still hurt and on the wrong side of 30. Good luck with your regression goals in 2018.

He played in a spring training game 2 days ago.  He's only 32, this isn't football.  

The calf thing is a concern tho, constantly cramping calves is not good. 

13 hours ago, kittenmittons said:

Turner isn't even second round worthy in points leagues that don't massively over value stolen bases.  He's an. 800 OPS guy.  I think Donaldson could be right up there with those 5, that's his upside at least. He did it two years in a row and then had injuries slow him. 

Well good luck drafting Donaldson within the same tier as trout, Altuve, Goldy and Blackmon 

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

He can’t even throw over to first base right now. Already 4 noodle arm throws over tonight. They’re going to have to DL him.

Yep, he shouldn't be on the field right now. 

This is crazy, he looks like a shell of himself. They might be able to get away with DHing him if the put Smoak or Kendrys in the OF. They had to know this was an issue going into today.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, Arrowhead said:

Well good luck drafting Donaldson within the same tier as trout, Altuve, Goldy and Blackmon 

If his calf is bothering him so much how did he get a steal. I didn't see it so I suppose it could have been part of a double steal or some kind of favorable call where he got it on a technicality, but a steal comes as a pretty big surprise to me considering the doom and gloom in here.

Archived