NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Keepers and Two-for-One Trade

Edguy

Would you plan for a keeper league in any way like you'd plan for a dynasty league?

Our league has 14 teams, mixed, categories, 25 man rosters, with no bench.   So it has about the same number of players taken as a standard 15 team mixed.  

We are 6x6 with Hits and IP as additional categories.   The league has been going for 25 years, so all owners are very invested in their teams.

With 14 teams and five keepers per team, you would expect the top 70 players to be kept.   My best five are good already and I scooped a number of excellent prospects that have me second guessing keeping players based on anything resembling ADP.  

My keepers:  Trea Turner, Donaldson, Corey Seager, Daniel Murphy and Hoskins.    I also have Devers, Moustakas, Domingo Santana and Acuna as potential keepers/trade bait. 

I have a potential trade partner who could offer up either Goldschmidt or Altuve in a two-for-one.   There's also a chance that a different owner would offer up Stanton in a two for one.   All other owners should be locked in with their keepers.  

What do you think of a Devers and Murphy for Altuve trade?    The Goldy/Altuve owner also owns Kenley Jansen and his last two keepers would be around ADP 100.  

Ideas?   Should I stand pat?   Would the addition of Altuve be worth losing an ADP 45 and ADP 80?   Again, this is assuming that ADP is even close to a fair measure.    I'm really tempted to keep Acuna, but I haven't decided if that's wise based on his ultimate arrival time in Atlanta.  Moustakas is a wild card if he lands in NY. 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:54 PM, Edguy said:

Would you plan for a keeper league in any way like you'd plan for a dynasty league?

Our league has 14 teams, mixed, categories, 25 man rosters, with no bench.   So it has about the same number of players taken as a standard 15 team mixed.  

We are 6x6 with Hits and IP as additional categories.   The league has been going for 25 years, so all owners are very invested in their teams.

With 14 teams and five keepers per team, you would expect the top 70 players to be kept.   My best five are good already and I scooped a number of excellent prospects that have me second guessing keeping players based on anything resembling ADP.  

My keepers:  Trea Turner, Donaldson, Corey Seager, Daniel Murphy and Hoskins.    I also have Devers, Moustakas, Domingo Santana and Acuna as potential keepers/trade bait. 

I have a potential trade partner who could offer up either Goldschmidt or Altuve in a two-for-one.   There's also a chance that a different owner would offer up Stanton in a two for one.   All other owners should be locked in with their keepers.  

What do you think of a Devers and Murphy for Altuve trade?    The Goldy/Altuve owner also owns Kenley Jansen and his last two keepers would be around ADP 100.  

Ideas?   Should I stand pat?   Would the addition of Altuve be worth losing an ADP 45 and ADP 80?   Again, this is assuming that ADP is even close to a fair measure.    I'm really tempted to keep Acuna, but I haven't decided if that's wise based on his ultimate arrival time in Atlanta.  Moustakas is a wild card if he lands in NY. 

These things are so crazy to see. Altuve for Murphy and Devers is an incredibly bad deal for whoever is giving up Altuve. As far as you're concerned, you're moving 1 keeper (Murphy) for 1 keeper (Altuve). Murphy isn't a lock to start the year healthy. He's been banged up as of late, is up there in years, and had knee surgery. Devers isn't anywhere near enough to close that gap. If I'm him, I don't even do it if you send Acuna also. Answer : Yes, absolutely do it if he will. 

I would trade Donaldson + any non keeper for a better younger 3B like Bryant, Arenado. I would trade Hoskins + any # of non keepers for Goldschmidt. I would trade Seager + any of your non keepers for Correa or another position player stud since you have Trea. 

With only 5 keepers and no real round value, I would not approach the draft much differently than best available- 2 for 1 is always good though with only 5 keepers, its usually tough to pull a star from it unless you have someones mancrush, like I could see leagues where like a Hoskins Devers package pulls you way more than it should and I would take advantage of that.  

I listed the only players that I might be able to trade for: Stanton, Altuve, or Goldschmidt.  All of the other top 20-30 ADP players are on teams where their five keepers are clear cut.  The Altuve/Goldschmidt owner doesn't have five obvious keepers.  The same with the Stanton owner.  Those are really my only options for trade partners.

In a 14 team league with five keepers, the top 70 players would be held in a perfect world.   The returning champion's keepers will all be in the top 25.   He has players that are ADP 45 or 50 that he'll have to toss back.   There are more than a dozen players in the top 70 ADP that will go back in the draft pool.  

Devers has a higher ADP (around 80) than the Altuve owner's fourth and fifth keepers (Tanaka and Story).  That's why Devers (or Moustakas or Domingo Santana) could be an attractive option for him.    Yes, Murphy has flaws.   I'm trying to deal from "excess" as much as I can.  

When it comes to including Hoskins, Donaldson or Seager in a two for one deal, I like their upside too much to get excited about dealing two of them.   I would rather go into the draft with the five I have rather than help the other owner that much.   Essentially, I'm getting a slight upgrade from Donaldson to Goldschmidt, losing Hoskins as a hot prospect, and helping another owner improve his keeper list.     Not doing a trade hurts the other owner more than it hurts me.   You have to keep five, so his worst keepers are something of a drag on his team's value going into the draft.   He has to hope that Altuve and Goldschmidt (and Jansen) offset his Tanaka and Story.