NBC Sports Edge Forums

Drew Waters - OF ATL

2017 2nd round pick.  Switch hitter.  I have read ceiling comps to Mike Trout and yes Mickey Mantle.

Destroyed Gulf Coast League and held his own in the Appalachian League.  Defensively should be good enough to stick in center field.

Definitely one to have on a dynasty roster.

Edited by B&F
On 2/22/2018 at 7:46 PM, B&F said:

2017 2nd round pick.  Switch hitter.  I have read ceiling comps to Mike Trout and yes Mickey Mantle.

Destroyed Gulf Coast League and held his own in the Appalachian League.  Defensively should be good enough to stick in center field.

He struck out in 40% of his at bats in the Appy

3 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

He struck out in 40% of his at bats in the Appy

Yea.  That is pretty gross (35.5% actually).  

That was a concern when he was drafted.  Has all the tools though.  He probably will stay in CF which doesn't matter for fantasy but that will give him more of an opportunity.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:46 PM, B&F said:

Comps to a couple of the greatest baseball players in history? I'd pump the breaks on that a bit and would probably seek a different source of prospect information. While the kid might have a high ceiling, that's just absurd. 

• Like 3
On 2/22/2018 at 5:46 PM, B&F said:

12:43

Dunkin’ Donuts: What percentage chance does Braves OF prospect Drew Waters have of becoming a star?  I have read ceiling comparisons to Mike Trout.

12:43

Kiley McDaniel: That is not remotely close

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

It was his high school coach that tossed the Trout and Mantle comps out. And then he later compared him to Dexter Fowler, that might be a little more within reason.

Oh.  Was it?  Yea that might be a little biased.

Honestly, when I saw the opening post of the thread, my thought was "Destroyed the GCL and compared to Mike Trout and Mickey Mantle? I have haven't heard anything of the sort, maybe I'm missing something?" Then I looked at his stats and realized that OP was full of hyperbole. Waters did hit .347/.448/.571 with 2 HRs and 2 SBs in 14 games in the GCL and that came with patience (12.1 BB%) and not a decent K rate of 19%. It also came with a brutal 26.9% swinging strike rate (For reference, MLB average is 9.5%) and a .417 BAPIP (27% line-drive rate) that really propped up his line. He was then moved up to the Appalachian league where his raw contact skills were more apparent as he posted a rough 35.5 K% and hit .255/.331/.383 which again was propped up by a very high .409 BAPIP. Small sample size applies to all of the data above. Not saying that he isn't a prospect worth watching, as scouting reports suggest he could hit for a decent average with power (50 Hit/50 Power), and he's a plus runner (60-grade) and that power/speed upside is what we look for in fantasy, but expectations should be tempered on this guy. He's still very raw yet. Look forward to seeing how he develops!

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Needing a new prospect to stash and most of the top 50 are gone i went digging an came across Waters. Hes young, hitting for very good average at double A. Wished he'd walk more. Some websites i've seen have been high on him. Although the major ones not so much.  

Off to a very hot start and rising on prospect ranks. The high K rate, decreased BB rate and very high BABIP are red flags, however what he’s doing at AA at his age still very impressive. 5 tool skillls 

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I agree with it but pretty sure former head Braves scout Brian Bridges that drafted him compared him to Mantle as well.

Even with the high K rate, him leading AA in hits is impressive especially w/ him being only 20.

Edited by Ball4life32
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

The Braves promoted Waters from Double-A Mississippi to Triple-A Gwinnett on Monday, David O'Brien of The Athletic reports.

Spin: Thanks to Austin Riley's advancement to the majors in addition to the sizable power spike he's displayed at Double-A this season, Waters will likely finish 2019 as the top prospect in Atlanta's organization. The switch-hitting Waters could burnish his standing even more with a strong showing at Gwinnett to close out the year, though a September promotion to Atlanta may not be in the cards unless the Braves lose multiple outfielders to injury. Waters wrapped up his time at Double-A with a .319/.366/.481 slash line (146 wRC+) and a 13-for-19 success rate on stolen-base attempts.
  • 2 weeks later...

Is he a good hitter? He strikes out 25% of the time and his BABIP hasn’t dipped below .362 in his career so far. It’s been as high as .400+.

he was just brought up to AAA and I’m sure there’s an adjustment period. 

Pitchers List has him on the Stash List. Do you think the Braves give him a shot this year?

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

had a vision that Waters gets packaged to Colorado in an Arenado deal.  suddenly the Tooled Up™ power/speed kid with BABIP concerns gets a massive Coors bump. 
TRUST THE VISION.  BUY NOW. 

Ooofff. Id have mixed feelings. would love to have Waters skillset playing in Coors but the Rockies would probably keep him in the minors for another 3 years even tho hes mlb ready.  That's just what they do.  I'll never understand it.  Right the Rockies have legit hitters in the minors especially the lower levels but it takes years to finally get to the upper levels and by then they usually get overcooked along with minors fatigue and start regressing. 

The best thing for a young stud hitter like Drew Waters is to stay away from Colorado. Until the Rockies clean out the entire front office, young hitting prospects should pray they don't get drafted or traded to Colorado. 

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1