Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amir Garrett 2018 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Guy had a string a good looking starts early last year, then suffered a hip injury and the wheels completely came off.  His final stat line was atrocious.

 

He's an athletic guy, so he's intriguing.  Struggles with command and keeping the ball inside the park.  There anything to see here in 2018?  Or is he just a steam against the Marlins & Pirates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at Amir Garrett's stuff and underlying numbers, I think it's clear that he's still very much a work in progress. He does have some intriguing elements but the flaws are big! His fastball wa

If you ever see me, I look nothing like powdered toast man   .

Watched the start last night.    No gun as mentioned before.  To the naked eye he was throwing harder.   The command sucked.   Had no idea where the fastball was going.   Got baile

He had 1 solid month, then the wheels fell off immediately, like you said. He got injured in May. He's definitely worth a 'hold and see' in certain leagues, he was pretty highly touted as a prospect. Fastball last year only averaged 91.7, which I guess could be attributed to the injury. Definitely an intriguing hold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Garrett retired all six batters he faced in his spring training debut Sunday, striking out four, drawing the attention of manager Bryan Price, the Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay reports. "Amir was as good as I've ever seen him," Price said. "He had velocity with command and threw the slider and changeup for strikes. He was filthy. That's the type of performance you want to see from a guy that's coming off of a tough season. He came out. He was snorting fire and attacked the zone. It was one of those dare-to-be-noticed moments because he was a standout, an absolute standout."
Analysis: The big takeaway from Garrett's performance was how strong his fastball looked, after his fastball was his weakest pitch last season. He still has an uphill battle to win a rotation spot and certainly can't win it on the basis of one spring training outing, but all in all it's better that it was a good outing for him.
Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Overwhelmingly unimpressed last season.  A guy in that park must pound the bottom of the zone.  This guy elevated his 91-92 mph fastball with regularity.  Horrific command, awful park.  Hard pass for me.  Much more intriguing late round young arms to take.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 12:47 AM, 89Topps said:

Guy had a string a good looking starts early last year, then suffered a hip injury and the wheels completely came off.  His final stat line was atrocious.

 

He's an athletic guy, so he's intriguing.  Struggles with command and keeping the ball inside the park.  There anything to see here in 2018?  Or is he just a steam against the Marlins & Pirates?

 

On 2/25/2018 at 7:43 AM, CurvePirate814 said:

He had 1 solid month, then the wheels fell off immediately, like you said. He got injured in May. He's definitely worth a 'hold and see' in certain leagues, he was pretty highly touted as a prospect. Fastball last year only averaged 91.7, which I guess could be attributed to the injury. Definitely an intriguing hold. 

he also had some sort of plasma injection in his hip in the offseason

 

so clearly his hip WAS in fact an issue.

 

not saying hes going to be anything special, but i just took him 30th round in a 16 team dynasty startup

Edited by jfazz23
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 89Topps said:

 

Here here.  Such detailed insight.  That's why I keep coming back.

 

@garlando has kind of taken the shelf from @taobball, who I haven't seen as much this year.

 

And you won't since Taoball is now working here as Cole Freel:  https://majorleaguefantasysports.com/

 

Maybe the way Garlando is going he will be next to end up getting paid to write about baseball.

 

Nice to see Amir had a good outing.  If he continues to impress I may have to look into him again.

 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

And you won't since Taoball is now working here as Cole Freel:  https://majorleaguefantasysports.com/

 

Maybe the way Garlando is going he will be next to end up getting paid to write about baseball.

 

Nice to see Amir had a good outing.  If he continues to impress I may have to look into him again.

 

 

You have no idea how disappointed I am to see a picture of him.  I always pictured him as looking similar to Kordell Stewart (or whomever that is in his avatar). :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

You have no idea how disappointed I am to see a picture of him.  I always pictured him as looking similar to Kordell Stewart (or whomever that is in his avatar). :lol:

 

If you ever see me, I look nothing like powdered toast man

 

.

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

You have no idea how disappointed I am to see a picture of him.  I always pictured him as looking similar to Kordell Stewart (or whomever that is in his avatar). :lol:

 

Jimmy Butler???

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

You have no idea how disappointed I am to see a picture of him.  I always pictured him as looking similar to Kordell Stewart (or whomever that is in his avatar). :lol:

 

35 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 

If you ever see me, I look nothing like powdered toast man

 

.

 

I, however, have my doppelgänger as my avatar/profile picture. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 7:40 AM, robbybobby005 said:

I read somewhere that he is hitting 96 with his FB, would be almost 5 mph improvement over last year if true

 

Yes,  velocity is up this spring.

 

Starting Sunday.  Hoping the game is on MLB network.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...