NBC Sports Edge Forums

Thoughts on Sean Doolittle?

I know he’s not a keeper in traditional leagues, but my league is unique. 4 x 4, pitching cats are W, S, ERA, & K/BB.

Considering no Ks category & the K/BB, closers, particularly those who limit BBs, are extremely valuable. For reference, generally ~5 closers are kept (up to 8 keepers), and often literally 15 of the next 24 picks are closers. They go fast in my league. 

My keepers-

Goldy

Mookie

Bryce

JRam

Bogaerts

deGrom

ROsuna

I've got a spot for one more between Keuchel, Doolittle, & ARendon. Keuchel is good, but with our cats he basically will help in two cats and hurt in one (K/BB) as I try to target guys ~3/1. 

Rendon is solid, but I have a ton of offense. 

My thought is 2 elite ratio stud closers and then in the next two rounds I will be able to draft Paxton, Nola, Rendon types while everyone else scrambled for closers. 

So more than anything, just want your general thoughts on Doolittle. If he’s ~2.80 ERA/65 K/10 BB/35 saves he’s huge in my league. 

Does Doolittle make sense here? Thoughts? Concerns about his shoulder too risky? 

Probably asking the wrong guy on Doolittle, I invested in him pretty heavy back in the Oakland days and it never really paid off.  I understand keeper value, my league is not easy to just "grab one off the WW" so I am usually a little more likely to keep 1 than maybe some of the feedback I get on the site, but to give up a player like Rendon who is probably 7-8 rounds higher ADP - that closer better be a lock and to me Doolittle is far from that.  He is injury prone, he is on the backside of 30, he is lefty which just there always seems to be something teams feel about lefty closers and I realize they gave him job last year, so Im sure its fine.  But I just dont think he is worth sacrificing a player like Rendon for.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks @parrothead

Yeah closers are drafted early, hoarded, and once the season goes they’re almost impossible to grab. We have waivers each week, so you need to be in the bottom 3 in the standings to get a closer because everyone grabs them because you can always trade them. 

As for ADP, not in my league. If I let both go, they’ll likely be drafted in the same round. 

Your last points are definitely my concern. A 30 year old closer with shoulder concerns. 

Still on the fence. If I let Doolittle go it’s likely I keep 7, get an 8th round pick that all teams won’t have, and see what’s out there. 

I also like Rendon over Doolittle. I'm also on record saying I think XB is over rated. I think he would be drafted much latter if he played for a team like KC or TB . Not much in the way of power or steals. If it were me I would shot for the moon and see if you could trade him for a top closer. maybe settle for like Allen from Cleveland  . Maybe a Boston fan owns a closer other than Kimbrel he would be willing to trade depending of course on the need for a shortstop. Put offers out for each of the top 4-5 closers using XB. whats the worse that happens? Plus its easier to find hitters.

Thanks for your help with mine

• Like 1

If injury is your concern, I'd certainly keep Rendon and load up on pitching with your first few picks.  Frankly, if you weren't loaded on offense, this really wouldn't be a debate - Rendon is the SIZEABLE upgrade over Doolittle.

Thanks for help on mine!

3 hours ago, motown magic said:

I also like Rendon over Doolittle. I'm also on record saying I think XB is over rated. I think he would be drafted much latter if he played for a team like KC or TB . Not much in the way of power or steals. If it were me I would shot for the moon and see if you could trade him for a top closer. maybe settle for like Allen from Cleveland  . Maybe a Boston fan owns a closer other than Kimbrel he would be willing to trade depending of course on the need for a shortstop. Put offers out for each of the top 4-5 closers using XB. whats the worse that happens? Plus its easier to find hitters.

Thanks for your help with mine

On XB, he is the most valuable SS over the past 3 years combined (according to dollar value earned). 

He had a great 2016 and was on his way last year before a hand injury (.303 1st half/.235 2nd half). 

15-20 HR & SB, plus good average and counting stats has PLENTY of value. 

I actually couldn’t disagree more, and think this new narrative has made him undervalued. Looks like he’s being drafted as the 7th SS right now (81st overall) and I’d love to make a friendly wager that he finishes top 60 overall according to ESPN Player Rater. Winner gets to choose the loser’s pic for Rotoworld for the entire winter? 

Even with those categories that favor Doolittle so much he's still an injury prone closer who will only contribute 50-60 innings in a best case scenario. I would keep Rendon. You can always trade him for a SP that will contribute 180+ innings towards your ERA and K/BB.

Can you please help with mine? http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/695089-keeper-help-whir/

• Thanks 1