NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook

smeeze

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I’m not even a big fan of Mixon. In fact, last season he was near the top of my DND list. However, taking him late 2nd or top of 3rd isn’t that bad of an idea.

Bernard is his only competition and he’s clearly more of a COP back. Mixon is talented and should have every opportunity. However, the biggest reason he isn’t a bad idea in that range is it’s full of players with questions. Adams isn’t that talented, McKinnon hasn’t shown much, CMC probably won’t have as much volume, Henry has Lewis, Shady is shady, and practically everyone else has questions around them.

Mixon and McKinnon are about the same for me, except McKinnon is going to catch significantly more passes.  That means McKinnon is ahead in PPR.

18 hours ago, allthatisman said:

Le'Veon Bell did not shoot out of the gate strong

Missed 3 weeks and still had 45 catches.  Volume is king.

We’ll see what Mixons volume will look like... Gio is going to get 100 carries if not injured.

I think 200-250 runs for Mixon.  He needs to be active in the passing game.  

Not it saying he won’t be but this is on the coaching staff...

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Mr2Saint said:

Heard he had an impressive catch and run in the game tonight for a TD. Looking forward to seeing the tape.

If they involve him in the passing game like this regularly then he will be a top ten pick next year. 

On 8/1/2018 at 9:09 PM, PolarBear said:

While we all get one wrong every now and then...This guy was all about Jay Ajayi last year...

And Gillislee.  

That being said, I like Mixon a lot this year as well.

17 minutes ago, Mr2Saint said:

Heard he had an impressive catch and run in the game tonight for a TD. Looking forward to seeing the tape.

yes, unfortunately for those hoping the hype train stayed at the station....

8 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Mixon is my backup plan if Howard is gone. Higher cieling do to more receptions, but idk that bengals offense still worries me and you know who is still the head coach. 

This is is why I think I will end up passing in Mixon unless the draft shakes out in a way that I have to take him. This very much reminds me of the Crowell situation last year where I was seriously considering him in the 3rd in standard about this time last year until someone pointed out “Do you seriously want to rely on the Cleveland Browns?” Thankfully, that tipped the scales for me. 

Similar situations here, do I really want to rely on a coaching staff with a pretty ordinary track record, a not-as-crappy as last-year O line and pay for the upside of a guy who hasn’t done it before?  I don’t think I can do it.

34 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

This is is why I think I will end up passing in Mixon unless the draft shakes out in a way that I have to take him. This very much reminds me of the Crowell situation last year where I was seriously considering him in the 3rd in standard about this time last year until someone pointed out “Do you seriously want to rely on the Cleveland Browns?” Thankfully, that tipped the scales for me. 

Similar situations here, do I really want to rely on a coaching staff with a pretty ordinary track record, a not-as-crappy as last-year O line and pay for the upside of a guy who hasn’t done it before?  I don’t think I can do it.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

The Bengals have been loaded with talent and make the playoffs majority of the time since they drafted Dalton. The Browns are a pop warner developmental team who can barely win a game. Both franchises lack any accolades, but at least the Bengals look good on paper nowadays. 

After they resigned Marvin Lewis yet again ( lol ), they re-tooled the entire coaching staff this past offseason.

* Middle of the road / average QB

* Great WR core - AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross

* Potential elite TE with Eifert. He can stay on the field for them though

* Looks to be a competent O-line thanks to Frank Pollack

* Good defensive core - William Jackson III, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Carl Lawson

Actually, scratch that, great defense. You saw Teryl Austin coached a good defense in Detroit with subpar talent. This Bengals defense is not subpar. 

Far from similar situations in my opinion. But I agree on one thing. It's always the "Marvin Lewis factor" with this team. 

23 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I've been burned by RBs on bad teams (Spiller, Gerhart, Langford and Crowell) enough over the years. I told myself mid way through last season after Crowell disappointed to NOT touch a RB on a bad team in the top 5 rounds. 

But here we're with Mixon. For me the kicker this year comes down to his usuage in the passing game. If he can secure the pass catching role then I'd have no issue taking him as his talent is supreme. However Gio remains a big threat to take that work. 

It'll be interesting to see his usuage over the next two weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

The Bengals have been loaded with talent and make the playoffs majority of the time since they drafted Dalton. The Browns are a pop warner developmental team who can barely win a game. Both franchises lack any accolades, but at least the Bengals look good on paper nowadays. 

After they resigned Marvin Lewis yet again ( lol ), they re-tooled the entire coaching staff this past offseason.

* Middle of the road / average QB

* Great WR core - AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, John Ross

* Looks to be a competent O-line thanks to Frank Pollack

* Good defensive core - William Jackson III, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Carl Lawson

Actually, scratch that, great defense. You saw Teryl Austin coached a good defense in Detroit with subpar talent. This Bengals defense is not subpar. 

Far from similar situations in my opinion. But I agree on one thing. It's always the "Marvin Lewis factor" with this team. 

It comes down to pass catching opportunities. Crowell was taken off the field in passing (and goaline situations) which killed his value especially on a bad team. 

If Mixon can get a stranglehold the 3rd down/obvious passing situation pass catching role then he's a very safe bet this year as he's already locked in as the early downs and goaline back. 

18 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Mixon is their #1 and there isn't a close #2.

Mixon was a 1st round talent that fell due to off the field issues.

Bengals addressed their Oline issues...to an extent. 

AJ Green keeps defenses honest. 

Perhaps this situation doesn't render Mixon a 1st round talent, but he does have immense upside this season. So if you are looking for a RB2 that can easily put up RB1 numbers I think Mixon is your guy. 

46 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Mixon is their #1 and there isn't a close #2.

Mixon was a 1st round talent that fell due to off the field issues.

Bengals addressed their Oline issues...to an extent. 

AJ Green keeps defenses honest. 

Perhaps this situation doesn't render Mixon a 1st round talent, but he does have immense upside this season. So if you are looking for a RB2 that can easily put up RB1 numbers I think Mixon is your guy. 

Disagree here.  Gio is a former early 2nd round pick and was actually the 1st RB picked in the 2013 draft.  Dude can play and (coming off an ACL injury from 2016) Gio outplayed Mixon at the end of last season.  He's better than average and obviously very good in the passing game too.

Not at all doubting Mixon's talent, draft pedigree, or strong potential to bounce-back this season.  I also agree with other posters that the Bengals upgraded their O-line and that Dalton and the passing game should be much stronger this year too (AJ, Ross, Boyd, Eifert).  However, I think drafters should proceed with some caution because Gio is going to be involved and get his touches which will limit Mixon's upside vs some of the other RB that will see larger workloads.

7 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Disagree here.  Gio is a former early 2nd round pick and was actually the 1st RB picked in the 2013 draft.  Dude can play and (coming off an ACL injury from 2016) Gio outplayed Mixon at the end of last season.  He's better than average and obviously very good in the passing game too.

Not at all doubting Mixon's talent, draft pedigree, or strong potential to bounce-back this season.  I also agree with other posters that the Bengals upgraded their O-line and that Dalton and the passing game should be much stronger this year too (AJ, Ross, Boyd, Eifert).  However, I think drafters should proceed with some caution because Gio is going to be involved and get his touches which will limit Mixon's upside vs some of the other RB that will see larger workloads.

Bad advice.   You’re a good poster but Mixon is the undisputed bellcow for Cincy.   Gio is not.  He’s fantastic in his COP/ hurry up role- maybe the best in the league.   So this is not a shot at Gio.   But Mixon is the entire package.   I’m expecting a top 10 season.   

Side note: I’m not a proponent of taking much from preseason...but did you SEE Mixon last night?   He was electric.

9 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Idk how to communicate the fact that Gio will not be a significant threat to Mixon's volume this year. It's like it's something that I just know or feel to be true but no words or logic can describe why. 

I was high in Mixon last year. You could see the talent was there but the team surrounding him was just atrocious, not to mention the wonky play calling with Hill and Gio still hovering. 

The offense was abysmal last year and I see a complete 180 this year. 

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I was high in Mixon last year. You could see the talent was there but the team surrounding him was just atrocious, not to mention the wonky play calling with Hill and Gio still hovering. 

The offense was abysmal last year and I see a complete 180 this year. 

And we knew Hill was going to be a significant sap on his upside. 

No such road blocks this year. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Joe Mixon 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived