NBC Sports Edge Forums

Might be starting a new keeper lg, or will join one that already exists

I've never done a keeper league and was considering starting a new 8-12 team one since I would prefer to start from scratch rather than take over an old team.  It would be Roto (I tried H2H a couple times and did not really like it), either 5x5 or 6x6, possibly with some non-standard categories like OBP/OPS/Net SB/SV+HLDs/QS, etc.

I'm not sure how the keepers would work, but 1 idea I like is to use team tenure (basically the more years you keep a guy on your team, the more expensive he is to hold) OR using the round they were drafted in minus 1 or 2 (and players drafted in the first round would not be keepable).

I'm not opposed to this league having a yearly entry fee, though I'd like it be under $50.

If someone else has experience with keeper leagues and would like to be the commissioner that would be cool too.

Alternatively if there is a league like the above that already exists that needs a new owner, let me know and I might be willing to join it.

If you have interest, let me know.  Let me know what you think about the keeper rules above as well as entry fee, if any.

Edited by HitsandGiggles

12 teams, $100 buy-in, auction draft (slow is preferred), 5 to 8 man minor league roster, 5x5 or 6x6 is fine, salary cap for the draft (minor leaguers don't carry a salary), no in-season salary cap, 5 to 8 active keepers, full minor league roster can be kept.  Players can be signed to contract terms (2  to 4 years) during the season at their current year salary (no annual increase).  All other players are on a one year (current year) contract, and don't have to be a keeper, if you sign more than your keeper limit to the 2 to 5 year contract, you must trade them in season or in the offseason.  If you can't work out a trade you must waive them by the keeper deadline, at which point your auction budget will be reduced $X.   All one year contract players that you keep will have $X added to their current year salary.

Build that, and I and I guarantee a bunch of other people will join.  I don't know enough about how the various platforms work to determine how much of the above would be a manual process, but I think the above would be awesome.

I have four leagues that have a few openings in each. Mendoza is h2h with four keepers; Rocky Mountain is a small 8 team h2h with four keepers. I also hav4e a new league that is roto and offense only. You'll get 8 keepers in that league; and a really competitive league that is roto and gets 5 keepers after the season. You would get to pick the keepers in any league you join for this season. If interested contact titansrst at yahoodotcom.

5 hours ago, HitsandGiggles said:

I've never done a keeper league and was considering starting a new 8-12 team one since I would prefer to start from scratch rather than take over an old team.  It would be Roto (I tried H2H a couple times and did not really like it), either 5x5 or 6x6, possibly with some non-standard categories like OBP/OPS/Net SB/SV+HLDs/QS, etc.

I'm not sure how the keepers would work, but 1 idea I like is to use team tenure (basically the more years you keep a guy on your team, the more expensive he is to hold) OR using the round they were drafted in minus 1 or 2 (and players drafted in the first round would not be keepable).

I'm not opposed to this league having a yearly entry fee, though I'd like it be under $50.

If someone else has experience with keeper leagues and would like to be the commissioner that would be cool too.

Alternatively if there is a league like the above that already exists that needs a new owner, let me know and I might be willing to join it.

If you have interest, let me know.  Let me know what you think about the keeper rules above as well as entry fee, if any.

I have something thats a first year keeper and only $20 a year email me for the info dpw17@hotmail.com

1 hour ago, bgrant said:

12 teams, $100 buy-in, auction draft (slow is preferred), 5 to 8 man minor league roster, 5x5 or 6x6 is fine, salary cap for the draft (minor leaguers don't carry a salary), no in-season salary cap, 5 to 8 active keepers, full minor league roster can be kept.  Players can be signed to contract terms (2  to 4 years) during the season at their current year salary (no annual increase).  All other players are on a one year (current year) contract, and don't have to be a keeper, if you sign more than your keeper limit to the 2 to 5 year contract, you must trade them in season or in the offseason.  If you can't work out a trade you must waive them by the keeper deadline, at which point your auction budget will be reduced $X.   All one year contract players that you keep will have $X added to their current year salary.

Build that, and I and I guarantee a bunch of other people will join.  I don't know enough about how the various platforms work to determine how much of the above would be a manual process, but I think the above would be awesome.

Hey guys I'm just shopping around to start a new league too. I'm familiar with CBSsports and like their options which are probably available in every other platform.. I am currently posting to start a new roto 5X5 keeper league for the first time. Its a $150 entry  because of the starting league fee every year from CBS. It goes up to $170 if not now, soon.  I quoted bgrant because he stated no annual increase on 5-8 active keepers, which is a great idea.

16 hours ago, bgrant said:

Unfortunately this sounds really complicated to me.  I don't think I could handle being commissioner for such a league as it would take all my time from my other leagues.

Hi there, we need a replacement owner in a ten team league. Roto $25 6x6 (sv+hd). We have two keepers every year (+2 minor leaguers) relative to their draft position last year. Any interest? email is cosmo1104@gmail.com. 

16 hours ago, bgrant said:

I would probably join something like this  also. 

we may have what your after

Hi, we have a 5x5 standard scoring, keeper, auction roto league which has been going for over 5 years, with a space open. You could take over one of the old teams "Cant be as bad as last year" or start a new team. Its $35 with prizes split between top 3 teams 50-30-20%, although we do let new people play the first season for free (and thus wont be eligible for a prize) if they wish. thanks !

any questions let me know

http://games.espn.com/flb/leagueoffice?leagueId=91969&seasonId=2018

On 3/8/2018 at 11:07 AM, cmontyburns said:

2nd year free league needs 4 replacement owners. Supplemental auction is Sunday 3/25 6pm EST. Here are the settings:

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/34034/settings

Expanding rosters from 21 to 30 and budgets from $260 to $390 this season. 6-9 keepers per team depending on last year's finish with salary inflation depending on salary level and how they were acquired. Probably adding a 3 round (free keeper) rookie draft this year. All 4 teams available were decent performers last year. DM me or post your email address here and I'll send you an invite. Any questions, let me know. Thanks!

Team 1 (6 keepers at auction cost + inflation and 1 free agent keeper)

Player
Auction Cost
2017 Final Rank
Current O-Rank
Gary Sánchez (NYY - C)  28 26 26
Logan Morrison (Min - 1B) DTD  - 296 296
Ian Kinsler (LAA - 2B)  22 143 143
Chase Headley (SD - 1B,3B)  - 387 387
Trevor Story (Col - SS)  46 84 84
Whit Merrifield (KC - 2B,RF)  - 106 106
Jason Heyward (ChC - CF,RF)  1 547 547
Yasiel Puig (LAD - RF)  6 99 99
Aaron Judge (NYY - RF)  6 17 17
Ian Happ (ChC - 2B,LF,CF,RF)  - 159 159
Freddy Galvis (SD - SS)  1 405 405
Chase Anderson (Mil - P)  - 206 206
CC Sabathia (NYY - P)  - 368 368
Patrick Corbin (Ari - P)  - 275 275
Clayton Richard (SD - P)  - 1265 1265
Madison Bumgarner (SF - P)  49 29 29
Kyle Freeland (Col - P)  - 628 628
Tyler Skaggs (LAA - P)  1 1003 1003
Trevor Bauer (Cle - P)  8 168 168
Sonny Gray (NYY - P)  3 126 126
Yoán Moncada (CWS - 2B)  26 151 151
Greg Bird (NYY - 1B)  12 121 121
Steven Matz (NYM - P)  8 349 349
Miguel Andújar (NYY - 3B)  - 1508 1508

Team 2 (keepers same as Team 1)

Player
Auction Cost
2017 Final Rank
Current O-Rank
Austin Barnes (LAD - C,2B)  - 284 284
Joe Mauer (Min - 1B)  - 320 320
Jean Segura (Sea - SS)  25 90 90
Jake Lamb (Ari - 3B)  8 120 120
Johan Camargo (Atl - 2B,3B,SS)  - 1296 1296
Teoscar Hernández (Tor - LF)  - 319 319
Lorenzo Cain (Mil - CF)  12 85 85
Nick Markakis (Atl - RF)  - 392 392
Jordy Mercer (Pit - SS)  - 641 641
Eduardo Núñez (Bos - 2B,3B,SS,LF)  4 228 228
Matt Wieters (Was - C)  4 1228 1228
Aroldis Chapman (NYY - P)  19 74 74
Arodys Vizcaíno (Atl - P)  - 164 164
Julio Teheran (Atl - P)  13 212 212
Luis Severino (NYY - P)  - 47 47
Brett Cecil (StL - P)  - 484 484
Chad Kuhl (Pit - P)  - 897 897
Jeremy Hellickson (Bal - P) NA  4 922 922
Max Scherzer (Was - P)  51 8 8
Stephen Strasburg (Was - P)  31 24 24

Team 3 (5 keepers at auction cost + inflation and 1 free agent keeper)

Player
Auction Cost
2017 Final Rank
Current O-Rank
Wilson Ramos (TB - C)  1 202 202
Daniel Murphy (Was - 2B) DTD  35 48 48
Robinson Canó (Sea - 2B)  34 54 54
Paul DeJong (StL - 2B,SS)  - 201 201
Amed Rosario (NYM - SS) DTD  - 317 317
Marwin González (Hou - 1B,2B,3B,SS,LF)  5 195 195
Eddie Rosario (Min - LF,CF,RF) DTD  - 137 137
Nelson Cruz (Sea - RF)  32 37 37
Justin Smoak (Tor - 1B)  - 87 87
Dexter Fowler (StL - CF)  6 175 175
Edwin Díaz (Sea - P)  13 97 97
Juan Minaya (CWS - P)  - 348 348
Tommy Hunter (Phi - P)  - 381 381
David Hernandez (Cin - P)  - 414 414
Andrew Miller (Cle - P)  21 197 197
James Paxton (Sea - P)  11 75 75
Mike Montgomery (ChC - P)  1 371 371
Dallas Keuchel (Hou - P)  19 70 70
Kyle Hendricks (ChC - P)  25 86 86
Brad Peacock (Hou - P)  - 276 276
Lewis Brinson (Mia - LF,CF)  - 338 338

Team 4 (keepers same as Team 1)

Player
Auction Cost
2017 Final Rank
Current O-Rank
Evan Gattis (Hou - C)  16 189 189
Albert Pujols (LAA - 1B)  12 302 302
Trea Turner (Was - SS)  45 4 4
Mike Moustakas (KC - 3B) NA  7 101 101
Corey Seager (LAD - SS) DTD  39 28 28
Kris Bryant (ChC - 3B,RF)  60 12 12
Randal Grichuk (Tor - LF,RF)  4 346 346
Stephen Piscotty (Oak - RF)  14 239 239
Eugenio Suárez (Cin - 3B)  3 200 200
Jackie Bradley Jr. (Bos - CF)  16 217 217
José Bautista (Tor - RF) NA  15 304 304
Yadier Molina (StL - C)  8 199 199
Fernando Rodney (Min - P)  1 221 221
Jim Johnson (LAA - P)  3 404 404
Danny Salazar (Cle - P) DTD  12 161 161
Wade Miley (Mil - P) NA  - 1379 1379
Aaron Nola (Phi - P)  9 57 57
Miguel González (CWS - P)  - 1055 1055
Brent Suter (Mil - P)  - 478 478
Ariel Miranda (Sea - P)  - 563 563

It sounds like this might be similar to what you're describing. It's a h2h 7x7 categories league on yahoo. Teams 2 and 3 are still available if you're interested. Message me here or email me at cataldocraze@yahoo.com if you want to join with your team preference and I'll send you an invitation. However you decide to go, good luck!

Edited by cmontyburns