NBC Sports Edge Forums

Saquon Barkley - Career

22 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Not as good as Derrick Henry but yeah, he is ok.

Hahaha Derrick Henry couldn't hold Saquon's cleats. There is no comparison. Barkley will be a MUCH better player than Henry. and that's not bashing Henry, who is a slightly above average RB in the league

• Like 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking out his knee injury Chubb was better than Gurley

You better add those numbers up again man

Floor - in the right system with a smart coach that deploys him in the passing game a lot David Johnson

Ceiling - if he gets better between the b tackles LT.  But he's got to get better between the tackles to hit that ceiling. 

LT is one of my 5 favorite Rbs ever so that's not a comp I throw out lightly. 

For the record I have Gurley as the best rb prospect I've seen including all facets of RB play.  His injury was the issue. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Floor - in the right system with a smart coach that deploys him in the passing game a lot David Johnson

Ceiling - if he gets better between the b tackles LT.  But he's got to get better between the tackles to hit that ceiling. 

LT is one of my 5 favorite Rbs ever so that's not a comp I throw out lightly. 

For the record I have Gurley as the best rb prospect I've seen including all facets of RB play.  His injury was the issue. 

Not sure there is a ton of room in the middle of that comp. DJ is a beast.

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Each generation brings players better than the one before it.   

We're still waiting for someone to match what OJ accomplished in 14 games 45 years ago.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Not sure there is a ton of room in the middle of that comp. DJ is a beast.

He is an absolute monster.  But LT was a first ballot HOFer and arguably one of the top 5 rbs of all time.   The combination of receiving and rushing is insane.

Guy had 3 different years where he averaged over 100 yards rushing per game, another season with 100 receptions, and holds the single season rushing td mark with 28.  He was the perfect rb.

The room in the middle is the between the tackles stuff.

I bet his wonderlic is going to be quite good.  I have heard several interviews with Barkley and he is no Pacman Jones or Vince Young.  More like Marshal Faulk minus the harassy business.

• Like 1

He reminds me of Zeke, as far as the build but Zeke is a bit more physical and sometimes likes to finish his runs by putting his shoulder down and smashing someone. 

Barkley has more top end speed, and cuts a bit better than Zeke.  He also looks to hit the home run a lot instead of taking what is given to him.   He reminds me of Barry Sanders in that way...if he can continue that behavior in the NFL it will be interesting to see if coaches will tolerate the occasional runs for losses in exchange for the big plays.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

He reminds me of Zeke, as far as the build but Zeke is a bit more physical and sometimes likes to finish his runs by putting his shoulder down and smashing someone. 

Barkley has more top end speed, and cuts a bit better than Zeke.  He also looks to hit the home run a lot instead of taking what is given to him.   He reminds me of Barry Sanders in that way...if he can continue that behavior in the NFL it will be interesting to see if coaches will tolerate the occasional runs for losses in exchange for the big plays.

Zeke has better vision and timing to the hole. 

Barkley is a better athlete and an incredibly dynamic receiving weapon.   His ultimate upside is higher than Zeke's in a vaccuum but coming out Zeke was a better running back...If that makes sense.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Saying a running back is better than Zeke and AP (you know the guy that was less than 10 yards from the rushing record) as basically a fact isn't a bold statement. It's borderline dumb. 

FFS,  COULD BE better, not IS ALREADY better  There's been no degree of absolution stated anywhere here.   Comprehend a little.  Nobody in their right mind would anoint a player for certain before he's played a pro down.   All I'm saying is, based on what we've seen already, he's got the tools and the talent to make a play at being one of these all time greats.   

9 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Zeke has better vision and timing to the hole. 

Barkley is a better athlete and an incredibly dynamic receiving weapon.   His ultimate upside is higher than Zeke's in a vaccuum but coming out Zeke was a better running back...If that makes sense.

Zeke's vision/timing to the hole is literally the only thing he was better at than Barkley coming out of school. Barkley is superior in the open field, is superior as a pass catcher and is superior as a pass blocker than Zeke was coming out of college. Disagree that Zeke was a better running back coming out, I think Barkley is on par with him at worst. Also, remember that Barkley played behind a dog s--- o line so that is one of the reasons his vision and timing to the hole might appear to be worse than Zekes.

Edited by paulwall29
2 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

Zeke's vision/timing to the hole is literally the only thing he was better at than Barkley coming out of school. Barkley is superior in the open field, is superior as a pass catcher and is superior as a pass blocker than Zeke was coming out of college. Disagree that Zeke was a better running back coming out, I think Barkley is on par with him at worst. Also, remember that Barkley played behind a dog s--- o line so that is one of the reasons his vision and timing to the hole might appear to be worse than Zekes.

This is probably the most important determinant for NFL success as a runner though, IMO. Barkley is a bad pass blocker, and he wins with his athleticism. Do not mistake athleticism for skill.

Edited by AJJones
  • Like 1
On 3/8/2018 at 8:11 AM, Dbird82 said:

Cleveland should take him at 1 and I like Josh Allen at 4. This happens I would not hesitate to grab Barkley. Revamped O-line and plenty of cap room to add talent. As a Ravens fan I am not looking forward to facing this team twice a year going forward

Or they should sign McCarron like Hue wanted, draft Barkley @1 and Chubbs at 4 to wreck it opposite of Myles Garrett. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BrianM said:

FFS,  COULD BE better, not IS ALREADY better  There's been no degree of absolution stated anywhere here.   Comprehend a little.  Nobody in their right mind would anoint a player for certain before he's played a pro down.   All I'm saying is, based on what we've seen already, he's got the tools and the talent to make a play at being one of these all time greats.   

I'm talking about this:

"Best RB in the last 20 years.

Yes, better than Zeke.

Yes, better than AP.

Is he LT good?

Discuss"

No degree of absolution? Huh...

16 hours ago, 96mnc said:

He is an absolute monster.  But LT was a first ballot HOFer and arguably one of the top 5 rbs of all time.   The combination of receiving and rushing is insane.

Guy had 3 different years where he averaged over 100 yards rushing per game, another season with 100 receptions, and holds the single season rushing td mark with 28.  He was the perfect rb.

The room in the middle is the between the tackles stuff.

DJ has 1 full season and  it was better than LTs career average from a fantasy perspective. The sample size is small obviously, but doesn't support what you are saying.

Absolution is the forgiveness of sin.  And, although some in this thread are sinfully undervaluing Barkley, I don't think it is quite the word we are looking for.  Maybe ambivelance?

3 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

superior pass blocker? 

i remember hearing zeke was the best ever at the time 

i have not heard anyone mention that about barkley 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

DJ has 1 full season and  it was better than LTs career average from a fantasy perspective

Comparing a running back's career averages long after their career is over (and they suffered their inevitable downward slide) is silly.

jSEMWw4.png

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Barkley is a great talent.  

If you watch him a lot, two things happen.  1) You go, "holy cow this is guy is amazing!"   2) "How did he only get a yard on that carry, with solid blocking and a standard 7 men in the box?"

Barkley is a great talent and athlete.  One thing is that he doesn't run big, which is fine, because he really doesn't need to and not taking big hits will be beneficial.  The other thing is that I think he needs some RB tutoring.  Timing, setting up blocks, when to take two yards and when you might as well bounce it outside.  I know he had a lot of those shotgun runs (that drive me personally insane) and also are tough to judge a running back on as well.  To me, he uses his athleticism to hide his issues at RB.  Right now he is a very good RB coming at out of college.  He could be a GREAT pro if he can shore up some of those flaws in his game.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

superior pass blocker? 

i remember hearing zeke was the best ever at the time 

i have not heard anyone mention that about barkley 

Barkley is not even an adequate pass blocker. Needs a lot of work.

The other thing is that I think he needs some RB tutoring.  Timing, setting up blocks, when to take two yards and when you might as well bounce it outside.  I know he had a lot of those shotgun runs (that drive me personally insane) and also are tough to judge a running back on as well.  To me, he uses his athleticism to hide his issues at RB.  Right now he is a very good RB coming at out of college.  He could be a GREAT pro if he can shore up some of those flaws in his game.

Spot on. If he ran big, I think his transition would be much easier. I think he can develop that, but he needs work.

Edited by AJJones
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

Zeke was a vastly superior pass blocker.  It isn't close.

• Like 2