NBC Sports Edge Forums

Robinson Chirinos 2018 Outlook

How about this guy as a back-end AL Only catcher who could provide sneaky value? Last year he had 17 HRs in just 88 games with a not too awful for a catcher.255 AVG. Now it seems the F/T job is his in a great hitter's park.  In 120 games is it outlandish to think 22 HRs and a .255 AVG is within reach? What do people think?

• Like 1

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation. I would be a little more conservative in the games played at 105 or so, and project the home runs to be around 18 with a .240 BA, which is still more than serviceable as an AL only catcher. If you wait on catcher in a deeper mixed league he is a nice target also.

3 hours ago, nittanychris said:

How about this guy as a back-end AL Only catcher who could provide sneaky value? Last year he had 17 HRs in just 88 games with a not too awful for a catcher.255 AVG. Now it seems the F/T job is his in a great hitter's park.  In 120 games is it outlandish to think 22 HRs and a .255 AVG is within reach? What do people think?

tumblr_mkuwjmQuYQ1r7k4w8o9_400.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think a .255 BA is in reach. He hadn't hit above .239 in his MLB career before last season. I'd expect something more like .235-.240, at most, with 15-18 HR if he can get in 100-110 games. 

20 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't think a .255 BA is in reach. He hadn't hit above .239 in his MLB career before last season. I'd expect something more like .235-.240, at most, with 15-18 HR if he can get in 100-110 games. 

rather have tucker barnhart

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Oh if he gets over 100 games he should easy hit 20 HRs. His entire approach the last 2 years is a complete sell out for power. Now that BA is going to crater because of he's extreme. I'd expect .220 with 20+ HRs if he actually stays healthy. 

Given that Catcher gets less PAs then the rest of your team, bad BA hurts slightly less (that and most  C's don't hit for a high BA ) Its not something i'd be as worried about as with other posistions. Obviously in OBP he'd be a better play.

• Like 1

Seemingly hasn't played since 20th March but I cannot see any specific news (aside from a "Day-to-Day" next to him in Yahoo). Is there an injury here or just not putting too much on a 33 year old catcher when it doesn't matter?

I'm drafting tonight, and was doing some prep as I like this guy late too.

• 2 weeks later...

This dude is making me want to barf. I never panic or worry over stats during April. Most of the time, guys eventually work their way into form. But I've about had hit with Chirinos already...in a 2-catcher league. He needs to start hitting the ball soon. 

• 2 weeks later...