NBC Sports EDGE Forums

MacKenzie Gore- SP SD

NYR Fan 116894

Bumping this thread.  The numbers look ugly.  Still early, but 10BB in 16IP is suggesting that his mechanics and/or control is off.  FG had highlighted there were few looks of him last year, so not sure if it is time to knock him down the rankings or not. 

23 hours ago, adwilk1231 said:

Blister issue popped up again

Wonder if that was the source of his struggles this season or if he's still searching for mechanics?  Must still be bothering him, didn't pitch yesterday and not scheduled for today.

I think if it was the blister issue (again), the training staff would have addressed it.  At this point, there is an unfounded suggestion it might be the yips (see Rick Ankiel). Whether or not that's true, I doubt the Pads are going to come out publicly and say it ,but it could explain the control issues and possible nerves.  It just seems so bizarre that a kid with pinpoint control has completely lost control.  It happens, I get it, and he could absolutely rebound but at this point I don't think there is any guarantee.  And, if it is a mental thing, that is possibly more challenging to get over.  Time will tell.  Caveat emptor.

OK...well I've officially hit the panic button with this kid.  Last year's rumors about his troubles at the alternate site were worrisome, but chalk it up to growing pains.  Seems like that was the time to jump ship.  You probably can't get 70 cents on the dollar for his ranking value now in most leagues.  We're on the Titanic, and not everyone is going to get a lifeboat.

I'll be over here playing my violin as we slowly sink into irrelevance.

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, Tryptamine said:

Maybe it's a bit irrational, but unless Gore is necessary in a deal that's bringing back a megastar, I'm not making him available. The ceiling is just absurd and the mechanics are good enough that the floor is nice too, as nice as it can be for a 19 year old power arm anyways.

This is why there is no such thing as a high floor for a pitching prospect sadly 

• Like 1

I undoubtedly understand the concern here but let's remember this kid is 22 years old.  Pitching at the major league level is incredibly difficult, I'm not going into panic mode over 16 IP. 

Prior to this season you were talking about an upper elite pitching prospect who had a sub 2.80 ERA/close to a 1.00 WHIP & was close to 12 K/9 innings pitched.

He's seeing his first time at AAA, at the age of 22, after missing an entire season of development.  Yah - I'm not remotely worried.  IF you're in dynasty leagues perhaps you can even have a panicked owner who is willing to trade him to you a bit cheaper due to his start this season.  As an owner?  You simply hold tight and you'll reap the benefits of a very good SPer at some point.

4 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Prior to this season you were talking about an upper elite pitching prospect who had a sub 2.80 ERA/close to a 1.00 WHIP & was close to 12 K/9 innings pitched.

He's seeing his first time at AAA, at the age of 22, after missing an entire season of development.  Yah - I'm not remotely worried.  IF you're in dynasty leagues perhaps you can even have a panicked owner who is willing to trade him to you a bit cheaper due to his start this season.  As an owner?  You simply hold tight and you'll reap the benefits of a very good SPer at some point.

While I agree with the majority of your post, you have to admit you are a tad bit worried… I’m holding tight and no shot I’d sell at 70 cents on the dollar. If I get full value out of him in a trade then I’d consider selling yes.

21 hours ago, StartYourStuds said:

While I agree with the majority of your post, you have to admit you are a tad bit worried… I’m holding tight and no shot I’d sell at 70 cents on the dollar. If I get full value out of him in a trade then I’d consider selling yes.

I'm not concerned after 18 innings he's pitched, after sitting out an entire year of development.   The arm/talent/elite talent is still there.

Just now, IlliniGuy76 said:

So unless he has an injured arm... did his elite talent/elite arm just stop working during COVID?  I mean - I'm not entirely sure how to answer your question?

Same could be asked of Forest Whitley… pitching prospects are fickle beasts 

11 minutes ago, robbybobby005 said:

Same could be asked of Forest Whitley… pitching prospects are fickle beasts 

Terrible example - he was added to the 40 man after the 2020 season at the age of 22 (Whitley), and he's now undergone TJS. 

I get your point that prospects are indeed fickle; we're talking about 18 IP.  He was talked about, before this season, as one of the elite pitching prospects in the game (top 5-6 overall prospect in the game);  this very thread earlier this year you had owners clamoring for him to be brought up ASAP.  It's 18 innings pitched at an elevated level after missing all of one season of development as a youngster.  People just need to get off the ledge.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Terrible example - he was added to the 40 man after the 2020 season at the age of 22 (Whitley), and he's now undergone TJS. 

I get your point that prospects are indeed fickle; we're talking about 18 IP.  He was talked about, before this season, as one of the elite pitching prospects in the game (top 5-6 overall prospect in the game);  this very thread earlier this year you had owners clamoring for him to be brought up ASAP.  It's 18 innings pitched at an elevated level after missing all of one season of development as a youngster.  People just need to get off the ledge.

Whitley was a top 12 prospect a few years ago, then completely fell apart in 2019. My comment has nothing to do with his TJS this season. 

6 minutes ago, robbybobby005 said:

Whitley was a top 12 prospect a few years ago, then completely fell apart in 2019. My comment has nothing to do with his TJS this season. 

Whitley is the Astros number one prospect going into this season & is still a top 60 overall prospect knowing he's having TJS.

My point is very simple - we have an 18 inning sample size where Gore has struggled, at a higher level after being off for a full year;  prior he was a top echelon prospect, one of the top pitching prospects in years.  Go ahead and panic sell him at this point - not only will someone get less market value but they're essentially doing what I stated.. panic selling after an incredibly low sample size of struggling.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 2

I tend to agree with you although I think its really more than the 18 innings.  I think it is also concern around the padres calling up other pitchers ahead of him and the anecdotal reports out of the alternate site sighting his mechanics/control. Seeing him have issues with his control lends credence to those reports. 

Adwilk1231 hit the nail on the head...  18 innings alone of subpar pitching you can quickly toss out as small sample size.  Add all the other stuff together mentioned above, and it's concerning.  He's young and you expect the talent to still be there, but as much as I'm rooting for the guy, he's got me worried no doubt!

Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs commented a few times last year that Gore was having control issues behind the scenes (and that the Padres acknowledged this, but didn't allow video in their alternate camp site). It seems those issues have come to light in the early season box scores this year as well as during Spring Training (8 BB's in 11 ST innings). So it's not just an 18.2 inning sample size, though obviously plenty of time for him to work through whatever issues he's having since they appear to be either mental or mechanical in nature. He threw two perfect innings three days ago (after issuing 5 free passes in 3 innings in his previous start), so hopefully that's something to start building on.

Edited by Dark One

FWIW, Fangraphs updated their top 100 prospect list today and Gore moved down from #2 (top ranked SP prospect) to #33 (12th ranked SP prospect), moving behind names like Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Max Meyer, Asa Lacy among other more established top SP prospects. He went from a 70 FV grade all the way down to 55. That is one if the more precipitous drops I've seen for a consensus top 5 prospect on their website.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2021 at 7:35 AM, IlliniGuy76 said:

So unless he has an injured arm... did his elite talent/elite arm just stop working during COVID?  I mean - I'm not entirely sure how to answer your question?

There are a huge number of pitching prospects who were incredibly talented, had scouting grades comparable to or better than Gore, performed lights out at various minor league levels, and then never did anything noteworthy in the bigs. It's not at all uncommon. It would be more surprising if Gore turned into a front line MLB starter than if he never amounted to anything of value. You seem to think that elite talent automatically = MLB success.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:54 PM, Dark One said:

FWIW, Fangraphs updated their top 100 prospect list today and Gore moved down from #2 (top ranked SP prospect) to #33 (12th ranked SP prospect), moving behind names like Grayson Rodriguez, Josiah Gray, Max Meyer, Asa Lacy among other more established top SP prospects. He went from a 70 FV grade all the way down to 55. That is one if the more precipitous drops I've seen for a consensus top 5 prospect on their website.

Yup. I moved on to Josiah Gray.

Anyone following closely should be able to read between the lines.

The fact that the Friars promoted several (lesser) prospects over Gore last and this season speaks volumes.

Something ain't right.