NBC Sports Edge Forums

MacKenzie Gore- SP SD

On 6/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, IlliniGuy76 said:

I'm not concerned after 18 innings he's pitched, after sitting out an entire year of development.   The arm/talent/elite talent is still there.

This is where our opinions diverge.  You think that during COVID he sat out an entire year of development.  I think he was continuing his development at the Padres alternate site.  I also think every murmuring about his troubles during that time are showing themselves to be still present.  Elite Potential?  Of course.  The most worrisome thing with him would be between the ears if he hasn't solved it by now.

He was passed over repeatedly during what you call a lost year...but it wasn't because he was not pitching.  It was because he was pitching like s**t and misplaced his control/command.

We're all hoping for the best, but no one is panicking simply off his IP this season.

• Like 3
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Listening to San Diego sports radio early this afternoon word is he was doing some promotional videos at the stadium.  Recall probably coming.

I don't even look at his numbers from last year.  So many of his starts were tainted by the blister issues.  I'd make the argument if he wasn't dealing with the blisters he would have put up similar n

I very much doubt it, as he's yet to throw a pitch in a full season league. I'd expect him to start in A this year, possibly finishing in A+. Somewhere between late 2020 to late 2021 would be a more r

Posted Images

1 hour ago, slowride said:

This is where our opinions diverge.  You think that during COVID he sat out an entire year of development.  I think he was continuing his development at the Padres alternate site.  I also think every murmuring about his troubles during that time are showing themselves to be still present.  Elite Potential?  Of course.  The most worrisome thing with him would be between the ears if he hasn't solved it by now.

He was passed over repeatedly during what you call a lost year...but it wasn't because he was not pitching.  It was because he was pitching like s**t and misplaced his control/command.

We're all hoping for the best, but no one is panicking simply off his IP this season.

In a nutshell, this is it.  At least for me as well.  At some point, you have to take the fingers out of your ears and listen to what people in the know are saying.  The Pads are NOT going to say, "ya, he's got the yips" or publicly comment on any psych issues the kid may have.  When respected prospect mavens have sources, usually pretty reliable, that have concerns then I don't think you can stick your head in the sand and pretend it's just a small sample size anymore.  Like SL above, hoping he turns it around, and obviously he still can but caveat emptor.

6 hours ago, StartYourStuds said:

Put a fork in him he’s done 

Absolutely not - his skill set didn't just disappear and there's plenty of time for him to turn the ship around. Whatever the issue is (or issues are), it needs to be identified (whether it's confidence, mechanics, outside relationships, etc.) and just take it one practice session at a time. Perhaps a little time off could help him clear his head and start fresh. There's legit cause for concern, but it's far from the toss him into the scrap heap level.